Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question New lower unit or rebuild it?

I've got a 2010 200hp Evinrude E-Tec. The lower unit was making a knocking racket when in gear (forward). Took it to shop and discovered some of the lower unit's gear teeth are broken and the spline on the prop shaft is twisted. Had to have to hit something but sure don't remember it. I would've known if I hit something that hard, right? The prop isn't damaged nor is the lower unit housing. It's a mystery. Shop owner tells me a new lower unit is 6 grand. A rebuilt or remanufactured is around $1200. I really don't want to go through my insurance if I don't have to. I'm afraid they will hit me with a rate increase or drop me. We had to replace a lower unit 2 years ago from hitting something under the surface. What advice do you have for me? Thanks!!

2. Member
    Personally, I'd file with my insurance and get a new OEM gear case. If your current insurance carrier doesn't want to take your money any more, there are plenty out there that will.

I agree hit up insurance , your shop can get them
    what they need get re embursed

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    What’s the issue with rebuilding the lower unit as opposed to replacing the entire thing?
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

5. Member
    As long as the housing isn't damaged, rebuild it.

6. Member
    $5599 on Marineengine.com

7. Member
    I just had mine rebuilt and saved a few thousand doing so.

I would rebuild it if it happens to me.

9. Member
    Same happened to me with my 2003 225 optimax 5 years ago and and they charged me $2000 for a new one. Maybe you can call around and see if another shop has a new one in stock. I did not go the the dealer bc he was 2 hours away and I found a mercury place that only fixes mercs. See if that works out bc that does seem high. Good luck. ps I never hit anything either but I wonder if when at the end of the day when we are idling to the peer we pop it in and out of gear and in reverse to slow the boat down if that takes a little chunk out of the gears. I now use the trolling motor to coast in to the docks bc the prop still spins even when in neutral then you hit reverse and a little gear gets grinded. Just a thought.

10. Member
    Insurance claim. Isn’t that why we pay it!?! Think about how much we pay over the years
    and rarely ever use it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
    Insurance claim. Isn’t that why we pay it!?! Think about how much we pay over the years
    and rarely ever use it.
    +1

12. Member
    If you don't want to go insurance, suck it up and pay the $1200. You can't take it with you, it just burns when you get there.

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend B View Post
    I've got a 2010 200hp Evinrude E-Tec. The lower unit was making a knocking racket when in gear (forward). Took it to shop and discovered some of the lower unit's gear teeth are broken and the spline on the prop shaft is twisted. Had to have to hit something but sure don't remember it. I would've known if I hit something that hard, right? The prop isn't damaged nor is the lower unit housing. It's a mystery. Shop owner tells me a new lower unit is 6 grand. A rebuilt or remanufactured is around $1200. I really don't want to go through my insurance if I don't have to. I'm afraid they will hit me with a rate increase or drop me. We had to replace a lower unit 2 years ago from hitting something under the surface. What advice do you have for me? Thanks!!
    There is a person who frequents the Evinrude board that goes by the name gearcaseman. I think his real name is Eddie Pope. Anyways buy the title of his user name its easy to figure out what he does for a living. He has gave a lot of advise over the years to people with questions. He has probably forgot more about a lower unit than what most people know. Reach out to him and explain your situation and ask for his advice.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
    and rarely ever use it.
    With no visible damage to the prop or the outside of the lower to prove something was hit, will insurance even cover it? My guess is, no.

15. Member
    Buddy just had his rebuilt on a Merc 250 ProXS, the dealer told him $4500 for new, he had it rebuilt for $2500.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    There is a person who frequents the Evinrude board that goes by the name gearcaseman. I think his real name is Eddie Pope. Anyways buy the title of his user name its easy to figure out what he does for a living. He has gave a lot of advise over the years to people with questions. He has probably forgot more about a lower unit than what most people know. Reach out to him and explain your situation and ask for his advice.
    Eddie is on the mend from recent Rotator cuff surgery. He'll be out of action until at least February. I'd look for a rebuilt, try Riverside Marine in N Little Rock AR.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    With no visible damage to the prop or the outside of the lower to prove something was hit, will insurance even cover it? My guess is, no.
    Progressive has lower unit coverage including just wearing out.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Eddie is on the mend from recent Rotator cuff surgery. He'll be out of action until at least February. I'd look for a rebuilt, try Riverside Marine in N Little Rock AR.
    Riverside is good.

19. Member
    Thanks for the advice. I’m thinking like “skeeterator” as there’s no visible damage. My question is how did it get so messed up? This unit is 2 years old and of course warranty was for one year. Insurance may not cover it. I’ll keep y’all posted....

Since you have a reputable shop that says you had to hit something they should cover it.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast