any discussion on here on 2018 pro xs 2 stokes being"detuned"? sure somewhere....

trying to figure out is it the boat or the motor that's slow? and yes i know rangers are slow...but dang

i had 520C boat before and would get 71-72 no problem with proxs 2 stroke

ranger 520L with 2018 250 proxs 2 stroke..66-68

some say they can do 73-75 with evinrude 250 on 520L

2. Member
    Motor was not detuned.

3. Member
    interesting...because I have one dealer telling me he's getting 73 on his 520L with the new 4 stroke on a 520L.. new 4 strokes must be the deal.

4. Member
    HP has not been able to exceed advertised HP rating by more than 10% for a number of years now.....its the law.

It doesn't matter if it's a two stroke, or for four stroke....250HP is 250HP.

5. Member
    ok

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements, and update your post with the REQUIRED info. Thanks!

Mercury doesn't use "years"... but the ProXS models have remained intrinsically the same for several years now.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonray View Post
    trying to figure out is it the boat or the motor that's slow? and yes i know rangers are slow...but dang

i had 520C boat before and would get 71-72 no problem with proxs 2 stroke

ranger 520L with 2018 250 proxs 2 stroke..66-68

some say they can do 73-75 with evinrude 250 on 520L
    Same here, using a 25P Fury. Kind of frustrating. I am seriously thinking of trading it in for a 2019 with a G2. Love the boat, but its performance has no "pop."

8. Member
    Previous motor was hot at +10% over the 250, maybe this one ended up being -10% under.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsb0824 View Post
    Same here, using a 25P Fury. Kind of frustrating. I am seriously thinking of trading it in for a 2019 with a G2. Love the boat, but its performance has no "pop."

yup..wished i would have went with G2 just to try it out..but i saved thousands on the bright side ..maybe new 4s are the deal..

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements, and update your post with the REQUIRED info. Thanks!

Mercury doesn't use "years"... but the ProXS models have remained intrinsically the same for several years now.

sorry boats in the shop and I'm in the office..so can see the numbers...may be next time though.

11. Banned
    yup..wished i would have went with G2 just to try it out..but i saved thousands on the bright side ..maybe new 4s are the deal..
    Well I own a Evinrude. It was my first and will be my last. Not a G2 but will never own another one. You made the right choice. I would say try some props. All props even the same name size are not the same.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Well I own a Evinrude. It was my first and will be my last. Not a G2 but will never own another one. You made the right choice. I would say try some props. All props even the same name size are not the same.
    yup...wanting to send one off to get B and B..its helped in the past...

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Jason- please see and follow the above. Wouldn't start buying props just yet.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Jason- please see and follow the above. Wouldn't start buying props just yet.
    called and got my serial number ...

ser# 2b529240

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Jason- despite what was done back in February... I would recommend having all the basics checked, Printouts or the Run History and Freeze Frame (Fault) History, and ANOTHER verification that the throttle position is actually reaching the WOT position. You can easily verify the last item, see:

Hotfoot Adjustment/Setup

Also, what prop are you running on this setup currently? Often find these G2 TM models are being over-propped when originally set up (based on data from previous TM model).

Engine height and setback also critical.

16. Member
    running 24 fury 3 blade down from 25.. runs better somewhat

jackplate is on 9-12 when looking at the atlas gauge, where when i was on the C it was 2-4

this L boat is totally different than the C in the rear end...same hull till you get backend

thanks on the link..my mechanic did that exact same thing when i took it to him...his computer did show open 100% when i put the hot foot all the way down...

i don't know ...is what it is

I think sometimes it is just a combination of several factors. First and foremost people adding a couple mph and quoting speeds with little to no gear and minimal gas. Secondly there are just some boats/motors that are slower than normal. My last boat was supposed to be a “73-74mph all day long.” Mine would do that empty but loaded was a 68-69mph.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    running 24 fury 3 blade down from 25.. runs better somewhat

jackplate is on 9-12 when looking at the atlas gauge, where when i was on the C it was 2-4

this L boat is totally different than the C in the rear end...same hull till you get backend

thanks on the link..my mechanic did that exact same thing when i took it to him...his computer did show open 100% when i put the hot foot all the way down...

i don't know ...is what it is
    A lot of factors can be at play here- 24P would be a good starting point for that setup. What is your total setback measurement?

Gen-2 Torquemaster (aka: Wingmaster) Setup Suggestions