Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chain Link Fence

I was told by my better half that I have to put up a fence before I get a new gun dog.
    She doesn't think her lap dog is going to like a new dog in the house.
    I am going to start building the new work shed and kennel for the dog this Spring.
    I am doing a little research on cost per foot for a 4 ft tall chain link fence. I looking at fencing in a 1/4 acre with
    one pass thru and one drive thru gate.
    Any one have a good ball park price for a power coated black fence.
    I have been quoted $10/ft.
    Mike
    2019 Phoenix 721 pro xp

Mercury 250 pro xs
    2B575862

Are you doing it yourself?

3. Member
    I'm going to build the shop and the kennel attached to the shop and I'm going to hire out the fence install.
    Mike
    2019 Phoenix 721 pro xp

Mercury 250 pro xs
    2B575862

10$ is about right in our area, you could do it yourself for about half that from my own experience

Mernards used to have a program that would calculate everything you need from the dimensions.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m.t.hands View Post
    10$ is about right in our area, you could do it yourself for about half that from my own experience
    If the soil in Greenbriar TN is anything like it is where I live, I'd gladly pay the extra money to have somebody else dig those holes. Renting a powered posthole digger would eat up a bunch, if not most, of the cost difference between DIY and hiring it out.

digging a 3ft wide x 3ft deep hole to plant a tree damn near broke my wrist on this rocky soil
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

7. Member
    Putting up a chain link fence is easy, there are plenty of instructions on the internet. I put one around about a half acre even through the woods when I was 70. One very important thing, a 4 foot fence may not be high enough. I have 5 miniature Pinschers. One of them learned to jump over a 4 foot chain link when we had a snowstorm and she used the snowdrifts. As the snow melted she learned to get a running start, hit the fence near the top, lever herself to the top rail and jump down the other side.
    You can do it. Beats paying some contractor $20 an hour so he can pay some South American $10 an hour to learn how to on your dime.

If you are doing steel that is not rubber coated $10 per ft is about right for your area. I ran a fence company for a few years and it would be worth every penny to have someone else install that fence if you have the money. Setting the post in concrete is the best way to make sure it lasts a life time.

The fence will start to rust out in about 12 years and still hold up for at least 20 with minor repair.

9. Member
    Fences are easy, do it your self and save the bucks. I've done chain link and wood, nothing to them.

10. Member
    Check out invisible fences too....I had one....kept in my german shepherd no problem. Cats in neighborhood would fuk with him hardcore....hahaha

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    If the soil in Greenbriar TN is anything like it is where I live, I'd gladly pay the extra money to have somebody else dig those holes. Renting a powered posthole digger would eat up a bunch, if not most, of the cost difference between DIY and hiring it out.

digging a 3ft wide x 3ft deep hole to plant a tree damn near broke my wrist on this rocky soil
    It is always important to read these "Advanced Scouting Reports" on the BBC never underestimate the time, money, frustration or personal injury they can save you as wrist injury could jeopardize both your hunting and fishing

Old Hoot always appreciates BBC Public Service Announcements even though they might to apply to my part of the world at the moment you never know when they'll come in handy during my travels.

To any respectable gun dog, 4 foot is a simple hop over.

Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post

IF they hit rock it'll run more than 10/ft., each hole is costly in rock

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m.t.hands View Post
    IF they hit rock it'll run more than 10/ft., each hole is costly in rock
    It's not solid rock, just lots and lots, and lots and lots, and lots and lots of focking rocks between the size of a golf ball and grapefruit. Did I mention how much rock is present in this soil??
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

15. Member
    Got a lot of rocks?

16. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    So you’re willing to pay someone to get your rocks off? Sounds like a DIY job but when I put my fence up all I had to deal with was all the cups, bottles, shirts, etc that was in the fill dirt. One hole took me an hour because a sweatshirt was 3 feet down! Idiots.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

17. Member
    we just had 183' of 6' tall ceder fence put in on the sides of our house and 195' of black 5' tall chain link on the back side so we could keep our view of the woods intact and it was about the same price for the wood as it as for chain link. 5' tall chain link was just shy of $12 per foot. Our soil in the Ozarks is rocky as can be, money well spent to hire someone to do it.

if you have an athletic dog, I highly recommend going with a 5' fence. Our Australian shepherd could hop a 4' fence if she wanted to.

18. Member
    If you want to keep your dog in the fence unsupervised you need to go 5 feet...Even a smaller dog can clear 4 feet in a couple of bounds..
    I just had a 5 foot black fence with 3 gates done at my cabin..I'm glad I payed to have it done..They had to bring out the bobcat post hole digger after the portable wouldn't get through a few holes....It cost me around 4000 dollars for around 400 ft...You'll find that the 5ft isnt that much more..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

My next door neighbors had a nice chain link fence installed a couple years ago, to keep the 2 anklebiters safe. He told me the cost was roughly the same as installing himself if he factored his time in. The installation crew came in early one morning and dug the holes, put the poles in cement after lunch, then came back a few days later and attached the fence. Looks like they did an excellent job since their dogs and my cats are all still alive.

(606)305-1956

20. Member
    If you live in town/city another thing to consider is keeping other dogs out. As others have said 5' would probably be better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast