Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have a buddy that was in the same boat about 10 years ago and after tons and tons of research, he decided to buy a Nissan Armada. Not only was it one of the larger SUV's that could haul all of his stuff for the twins as well as tow almost anything, it was rated as the safest SUVs on the road. He drove that thing for 250k miles and loved it so much, recently purchased another one exactly like it, same color even... but newer of course. Look at eBay motors, this is where he found the best deals. Seating for 8, tows 9,000 lbs, has four wheel drive, Bose stereo with 12 speakers, front side curtain airbags, rear and 3rd row seating head airbags... and the list goes on and on. Hard to beat this one.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Armada...1:pf:0&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by Bub; 12-12-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Saying an SUV is the same as a minivan except it is just taller is like saying a fat chick is the same as a skinny, hot chick but just a little more round. I just couldn’t drive a mini van, ever. It’s like giving up the last tiny little bit of manhood left. Once you get a mini van you’re officially old, not cool at all any more.

3. Member
    If you want more of an SUV style, look into a Dodge Durango. Plenty of room for the whole family and enough extra for as they get older. They are relatively cheap compared to other SUVs and last forever especially down south. If you need it for towing, the v6 has a 6,200lb capacity. I tow my boat all over the place and i can’t even feel it back there.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Banned
    It all depends on how much money you want to spend. I have a Ford Explorer XLT with 3 row leather seating, and we really like it. At $33K it's a good buy. The Highlander is nice, but slightly more expensive.

I prefer to stay away from FCA vehicles (resale), but the Town & Country mini van is nice--and expensive. The Traverse/Acadia SUV's are nice but now downsized a little--and more expensive than an Explorer.

If you're willing to step up to $50K range, the Suburban and the Excursion XL would be hard to beat. The Excursion is an all new vehicle and it is the top dog right now in every way.

My brother in law came in with the big Lexus SUV, and I had to sit sideways in the rear seat--and it only cost $90K. Nice, but short on rear room. I'd hate to put a bunch of little kids in such an expensive vehicle, especially with their light colored leather interiors.

5. Member
    The only problem with a mini van is if you have a front on impact you are the 1st one there. We owned one when my boys were young for several years. They got older my wife changed jobs and was in traffic a lot more. I got to feeling it wasn't safe and bought a large car. Within a year a lady turned in front of my wife, my wife was running about 40-45. Totaled the car but she walked away with a crushed thumb and a few bruises. I know all vehicles are safer every years. But there is no way a mini van will be as safe as an suv on a front impact with a large vehicle. IMO
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    It all depends on how much money you want to spend. I have a Ford Explorer XLT with 3 row leather seating, and we really like it. At $33K it's a good buy. The Highlander is nice, but slightly more expensive.

I prefer to stay away from FCA vehicles (resale), but the Town & Country mini van is nice--and expensive. The Traverse/Acadia SUV's are nice but now downsized a little--and more expensive than an Explorer.

If you're willing to step up to $50K range, the Suburban and the Excursion XL would be hard to beat. The Excursion is an all new vehicle and it is the top dog right now in every way.

My brother in law came in with the big Lexus SUV, and I had to sit sideways in the rear seat--and it only cost $90K. Nice, but short on rear room. I'd hate to put a bunch of little kids in such an expensive vehicle, especially with their light colored leather interiors.
    Excursion has been out of production for 11 years or so

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    I think Bamaman meant Expedition

8. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    I might have to agree with Al today > ... . ... . . -humor Al. I had a Caravan mini van for a few years. No kids then but that thing was reliable, got pretty good gas mileage and was good work and travel van. I have a Buddy who took passenger side second row captain chair completely out for xtra storage and ez access to 3rd row seats.

My son (45) had an SUV, his wife had a SUV( both were AWD). A friend of his owns a car lot, last year he bought a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan with 13,000 miles on it at a great price. In a year they have put 40000 miles on it, trouble free.

With 3 kids under 4 years old, they keep one captain chair folded down under the floor, and then two car seats on the 3rd row bench seat. they love it.

10. Member
    Check out the Nissan NV3500 passenger full size van. Really good price for new. Only can buy at the Commercial Nissan Dealer. The seats are removable and can go in many different configurations. I have never met an owner that did not love it. They pull tons of weight as well.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    You are correct, and there is no future thoughts on remaking it.
    I will try to keep this one going as long as I can. nothing better to haul people, an heavy towing.

Consier this new Subaru. It has been getting rave reviews and is very roomy.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

14. Member
    You will miss the seats in the Flex, some of the most comfortable out there.
    If you want to look at a mini-van, consider the Toyota Sienna with AWD.

Without knowing your price, If you want to stay away from the "minvan" image, it's really hard to beat a Tahoe/Yukon. Can find some nice used ones with decent mileage for a decent price.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwell View Post
    I think Bamaman meant Expedition
    Not at the prices he quoted. $33K for an Explorer new? More like $53K. Expedition/Tahoe $60-$70K+

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    You are correct, and there is no future thoughts on remaking it.
    I will try to keep this one going as long as I can. nothing better to haul people, an heavy towing.

1/2 tons have grown so much that the new Expedition is identical in width and height, and only 17" shorter than the Excursion. The new Expedition doesn't have the curb weight or towing capabilities of the Excursion, but it's crazy how a 1/2 ton SUV is now almost the same size as a 3/4 ton SUV from 11 years ago.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel14 View Post
    Consier this new Subaru. It has been getting rave reviews and is very roomy.
    THIS^^^ and contact bronzebackfive, as he works at the plant and can get you VIP pricing.

That being said, the Honda Odyssey is a great minivan. My daughter's family had had two and the storage is super.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Pacifica
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

20. Member
    Have you piled everyone into an Avalon or other large four door sedan? My BIL has three at home and they normally take the Avalon on trips.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast