Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    idbefishing

Stick out like a sore thumb

If one have never had a sore thumb, one can not understand the magnitude of this old saying. Somehow the nail (outer edge) on my right thumb separated from the flesh so it is a SOB on contact. I guess I've never had a bummed thumb so I didn't realized until now how important the right thumb is and how much involvement it has on my daily life. It touches EVERYTHING! Have you ever tried to tie your shoes without the use of your thumb? very very difficult. Typing is a SOB too! It isn't broken so by habit, hitting the space bar always followed by some cussing.

Time to learn how to be more ambidextrous. A sore thumb on your dominate hand does cause issues.

3. Member
    Yep, makes your thumb feel like its as big as a baseball and tender as can be.
    Hi Mike.

OUCH! Polysporin and a bandaid over night should partially relieve the soreness.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Super glue could be your friend, need to isolate it and keep it from opening up, the glue will wear off in a few days.

6. Banned
    I've shut my thumb in the door of a 1966 El Camino (locked). Had to try and get the key out of my pocket to unlock the door. Hit it with a hammer and also broken it in two places fighting with my brother. I know sore thumbs very well!

Got my dominate thumb stuck in a sliding door of a 98 Ford econoline van. Door was locked and the keys were in the opposite pocket. Didn't even cuss.
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ou1dadgumit View Post
    Got my dominate thumb stuck in a sliding door of a 98 Ford econoline van. Door was locked and the keys were in the opposite pocket. Didn't even cuss.
    Hard to speak when your passed out

That had to hurt.
    Hi Mike.

9. Banned
    Feel for you. I have mine open sharpening a bush axe when my sons dog came up and ran into me.

10. idbefishing
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider99XX View Post

That had to hurt.

11. Member
    super glue is your friend i keep a bottle in my toolbox at all time

Quote Originally Posted by ou1dadgumit View Post
    That's when you know it hurts bad! Spent years in construction, me or anyone else barely hit their thumb with a hammer and cuss up a blue streak, but smack it real good or split it open and complete silence. Working with a guy and heard a "thump!" he hit his thumb really hard, just bent over and clutched his thumb without saying a word. Told the other guy with us, "That one is going to be bad!" It was!!

After framing a 20' long wall, we were going to stand it up when something slipped and it came down on my thumb, instant black nail and swelling... hurt like crazy until I took a red-hot paperclip and "drilled it" through my thumbnail to relieve the pressure.
    The nail finally came off and it stopped hurting all together but I'll never forget that pain. Good luck with yours!!

it is hard to believe something so small can cause so much discomfort and catches/hits on everything

15. Member
    The thumb is worth the most money if you were to cut it off at work, because it's so important. Just like your big toe, you need that damn thing for balance.

It's aggravating that every time you injure your big toe or any finger you tend to stub or bump the injured digit more frequently.

16. Member
    PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT____________________If you mash a finger or a Toe, GET TO SOME COLD WATER AS FAST AS YOU CAN--------------run cold or cool water on you arm just above your hand etc, all the way to your elbow and back down over your arm,hand and finger. Same procedure for foot or toe. Cooling everything down has left me with zero pain,no swelling and little evidence the next day that I had smashed something. If you wait you will pay.It works for me.
    1989 Hydra-Sports 17ft-6in. VS-150T
    Evinrude 150XP
    Hummingbird Electronics

17. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I was routing cedar steps to put the final edge on them then sand them clean. Buddy called me and next thing I know the owner (buddy’s dad) is freaking out cause I’m bleeding all over the wood!

I routed my thumb into a nice angle and didn’t feel anything until he sprayed something on it that foamed up..than I passed out. I was 20 and in college, I didn’t know better...that Hurt!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

18. Member
    I know how that is I slammed my thumb with a 5lb hammer & broke it,ouch

Quote Originally Posted by Rider99XX View Post

That had to hurt.
    Dang skippy! I just remember saying to myself, "get the keys, get the keys."
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

20. idbefishing
    Thanks for the super glue tip. I super glued it and feel so much better, touching it actually doesn’t hurt anymore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast