BIG BLUE NATION

eco boost 3.5 octane

what octane are most of you guys running, heard guys say they are getting 2 or 3 mpg better running 91, makes a big difference with 36 gal. tank on distance between stops.

2. Member
    I run premium April-November and regular during the winter. I have noticed better performance and a slight bump in gas mileage with the premium. During the winter the truck idles a lot and would rather not waste the extra money on premium.

3. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    When you run premium the computer senses it and adjusts accordingly bumping output up an additional 25hp or so depending on the gas.
    Like Lunkerhunter3 I run premium in the summer, but mid grade in the winter.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

4. Member
    70,000 miles so far. I run 87 unless I'm towing my camper then I go to premium. When towing it does make a difference, better mileage and much less soot on the exhaust pipe.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CGWright View Post
    When you run premium the computer senses it and adjusts accordingly bumping output up an additional 25hp or so depending on the gas.
    Like Lunkerhunter3 I run premium in the summer, but mid grade in the winter.
    I have never heard this about the EB. I know some flex-fuel vehicles will do this with e85, or some will go the other way where they require premium and when running regular will cause knock retard to kick in and reduce timing. But I haven't seen anything where Ford advances timing for premium fuel in the EB....

I just looked it up, only thing I can find is a test AAA did where they got 2.1% increase in hp with premium, on the newest 3.5 that is 7.9 hp......you would never feel it except in your head. They did also get 5% better fuel economy, which may or may not break even on cost depending on your prices.

6. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    I can't find that info now either. It was in the Ford forums. It was claimed to increase hp by 20 - 25 hp. I read it on the internet, so it must be true.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

7. Member
    20-25 does seem a bit much, though I'll admit, these days, some kind of increase is likely since numerous engines will just advance the timing until the knock sensors kick in, and premium would help with that. That said, I'm sure Ford *could* get 20-25 more with premium with the turbo, they just choose not too lol.

8. Member
    I run 91 in mine. I've tested the gas mileage both ways and I do get better mileage with 91 plus it's ethanol free. I like my corn either on my plate or used to make whiskey, not in my fuel.