Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Scary deal. Glad it turned out like it did.

Dale Sinclair original

2. Member
    Glad your still here with us Clif, that is a blessing for sure.

The last time I went in the air temp was 14 degrees, I have no idea what the water temp was but there was a half inch of ice floating on the surface. I swamped a 10 foot jon boat with a 6 hp Mercury on the back. I went completely under along with the boat and motor. I had 2 choices. Swim 40 feet and be 200 yards from home or wade/swim through swamps and then walk 1.5 miles to home soaking wet in 14 degree temp. I chose to swim the 40 feet. I think I did it on pure adrenaline. I remember it like it was yesterday.

This too shall pass. You're still with us for a reason.
    Hi Mike.

So glad you made it to the bank. I can’t imagine how scary that would be.

A few years back, during our summer trip to Georgian Bay, a part of the wife’s reel popped off and went into @ 7 feet of super clear water. I could easily see it on bottom. The reel had been discontinued for some time, so I wanted to get the part back. No one was around, so I gave the wife a 10 second lesson on running the trolling motor, stripped down, and dove in to get the reel part. I got the part, surfaced, and tried to get back in my Lund by swinging my leg over the side. Nope, wasn’t gonna happen. She trolled me over to the bank and I got out, dried, off, and we continued fishing. But, the message was clear...I had to put a ladder on the transom, which I did soon after. I, too, was afraid that I’d fall in when by myself. I’ve tried the ladder while swimming off our dock. Even with the ladder, it’s still no picnic to get back in the boat. But it’s much easier than trying any other method.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Banned
    Glad everyone of you that have experienced this are still here. Thanks for the responses to read.

5. Member
    I am in TX and it does not get even remotely as cold as you guys are talking but this is a reminder for me to put some dry clothes in the boat for this winter. I almost drowned about 10 yrs ago swimming to catch my boat that had not been secured properly. I was replacing bunk boards and turned around and it was a good 50yds away and I jumped in ( spring time) and the wind kept pushing it. Looked back and I was at least 100yds from closest shore, told myself to calm down, this is how people drown. I took another hard swim at it and got to it and threw my arm over....it pops out of socket ( previous to rotator cuff surgery) went around and put a foot on the hydrofoil and pushed up the courtesy switch to help me into the back. I came home taking baby steps up the driveway, could not talk, got in shower and sat there for an hour. Wife was terrified and even more terrified when I told her what happened.

6. Member
    I've went in twice in my life. Worst thing is, I can't swim a stroke. I wasn't wearing a PFD either time. Luckily, I rarely fish alone (mostly for that reason) and both times my fishing buddy trolled me to the bank after surfacing and getting ahold of the boat. Once was in summer, the other time was early winter at night on Dale Hollow. That one was scary. I have since invested in one of the pressure activated PFDs and wear it all the time. I have even found myself still wearing it in the truck after pulling out of the lake. Glad you are okay brother!

Glad you made it. Most of us on here have had near misses with death.

You where being watched over.
    You have lived through the things that nightmares are made of.

9. Member
    Glad you made it out OK. I fish alone all the time and my balance ain't what it used to be.

10. Scraps
    Could have been much worse, much worse, buddy. So glad you got to write your story. Very fortunate and it's Christmas! I've thought of this very scenario fishing alone a lot. Could happen at any time during the year.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Glad you made it out okay Cliff

I was Crappie fishing last year during a cold snap with 40 degree air and 50 degree water... it felt the same as when you dig in an iced down cooler for a cold beer off the bottom, it's a whole new level of cold. I was fortunately wearing an inflatable and that saved my ass, along with my FIL being able to pull me back in the boat. With all those heavy clothes, there is no way I could swim far or been able to climb back in the boat by myself. If I would have been along, I would have been in a heap of trouble. My story as resulted in a lot of guys I know starting to wear their PFDs religiously all day long once the water gets cold, not just when they're running.

12. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    you were spared for a reason...………..glad you're ok...…...hang tough
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

Dadgum...glad your seeing days again.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

14. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’m sorry you’re having a rough time, but it will pass like they all do. I’m not in a great place myself right now with my birthday and Christmas coming up. My mom passed in March but I’m sure if I was in your position I’d fight like hell to live too! It will get better, glad you’re healing; much better than the alternative!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

15. Member
    Cliff, glad your still around. Take it as a life lesson. Promise yourself for your child's sake to not take chances that are not necessary. I woke up on the bottom of a lake in 1995. Blacked out in my canoe and rolled it. My girls made me promise not to take unnecessary chances after that. Refusing to fish alone in the cold water season is tops on my promise list followed by fishing in lightning storms. I have had 2 close calls with lightning including one where the storm was on top of me and so violent I conceded death while stuck on an open beach in a small shelter. I did not think I would survive. Lightning strikes were occuring near my location.That happened shortly after the first incident where I rolled the canoe. Took years for the 2 incidents to take root and I finally heeded my promise to my girls.

16. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    2 older guys fishing Tannycomo MO. in Winter and right before total darkness, boat flips over.1 guy dead and the other guy somehow made it to shore and was completely wet and exhausted. Stuffed leaves in wet zipped up Cathartts and survived the 25 degree night because leaves insulated him from frozen overalls.

17. Member
    Glad you made it back safely. That has got to be one hell of a bad feeling once your brain registers what has happened to you. I have no doubt that if I was out alone and it happened to me, I would be a goner. My plan is to try to make it to the engine and use the trim to get up and into the boat. My boat has a ladder on the back but as Jeff mentioned earlier, it is no piece of cake climbing up the ladder in wet clothing.

you got a 2nd chance a lot of others didn't or don't get. learn the lesson and pass it on. glad you made it! I hope you can enjoy the Holidays with your family.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

Good news that you made it, Clif! Now, get out there and smoke some brisket and don't forget how to post up some pictures...

20. Member
    Glad you are OK.
    Danny

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast