Thread: Dobyns Sierra

Dobyns Sierra

Saw the tackle warehouse sale, and I was thinking about picking one up for a jig rod. I have no experience with Dobyns everything I own is falcon anyone who could give an opinion I would appreciate it.

2. Banned
    They run 1 power soft, you’d want a hvy action. I use a couple for moving baits, not the most sensitive rods ever made; but the price is pretty decent. Not sure which Falcons you have, but these are prob close, I wouldn’t say they are better than the Lowriders though.

The 6’8” and shorter are solid cork handles, the 7’ and up split grip. (If you have a preference)
    Last edited by grout-scout; 12-11-2018 at 10:01 PM.

3. Member
    They have all models in solid and split handles in the Sierra line that's on sale. Solid handles are regular guides and split handles are micro guides, only difference. Most all my rods are dobyns rods and I love them. They are close to one power soft so I would go with heavy also. I've also got a falcon lowrider 20 spinning rod for shakey heads and the same model in dobyns and their very comparable, both great rods. I know I'll be picking up a couple before the sell is over at that price for sure. I think you'd be happy with your purchase

Sierras are very nice rods - agree with the above on power.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

5. Member
    Are all dobyns rods a power soft or just the sierra line?

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunkerhunter3 View Post
    Are all dobyns rods a power soft or just the sierra line?

I’m not sure, I’d think all would be and it’s not just Dobyns that is this way. In my opinion Megabass is the same way (I have not tried the very expensive lineup, just my opinion on the Levante & XX). I like my 4 Sierras, just have to make sure you heed our advice if you order one.

7. Member
    I will thanks everyone for you opinions and experience with the rods, I’m back and forth between these or a lowrider

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rharrell View Post
    I will thanks everyone for you opinions and experience with the rods, I’m back and forth between these or a lowrider

I thought the lowriders were discontinued?

edit: just saw the new model. Have you seen one in person to compare it with the old model?

9. Member
    They are bringing them back with the experts as well. I live about 15 mins from the main store, so I can always go see the new stuff before it hits any tackle shops.

10. Member
    I purchased the 6'8" MHC this past year for a new jig rod, I was very disappointed in the sensitivity, no feel at all, I would look for something else.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I thought the lowriders were discontinued?

edit: just saw the new model. Have you seen one in person to compare it with the old model?
    I know the new Lowriders are made overseas and I am pretty certain the Expert line is also made overseas. I know they lowered the price on the Lowrider line significantly compared to previous year prices. I am guessing the new line compares favorably to previous years Lowrider's just hate to see them outsourced. Unfortunately Falcon seems to be outsourcing more and more of their lines of rods. Sad

12. Member
    Yea I hate to see them do that as well, I think it has to do with the market being flooded with new companies.

13. Banned
    The Dobyns "3" power is my favorite power. I have many uses for a rod that specs between a M & MH power, and the 3 power does just that!

14. Member
    Drove over to falcon yesterday, and put one of the new low riders in my hand winner. That rod felt really nice in your hands.