Question 2010 200 E-Tec Knocking

I have a 200 Evinrude E-Tec that started “knocking” today. Sounds like it’s coming from the engine. Only does it when it’s in forward gear, not in nuetral or reverse. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend B View Post
    I have a 200 Evinrude E-Tec that started “knocking” today. Sounds like it’s coming from the engine. Only does it when it’s in forward gear, not in nuetral or reverse. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Possible bad lower unit. Take the drain plug out and see what kind of shape the gear oil is and if there are any metallic pieces/chunks?

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

At idle in gear only and goes away as the throttle is advanced or at all speeds?
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

4. Member
    Update - The lower unit is toast. Some of the gear's teeth are broken and the spline on the prop shaft is twisted. Had to have to hit something but sure don't remember it. The prop isn't damaged nor is the lower unit housing. It's a mystery. Shop owner tells me a new lower unit is 6 grand. A rebuilt or remanufactured is around $1200. I really don't want to go through my insurance (State Farm) if I don't have to. What advice do you have for me? Thanks!!

You have a 9 year old motor, get a rebuilt gearcase or see about a trade to a newer one. I'm sure there will be sales promotions with extended coverages in the coming months
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !