Difference between apple watches

Looking to get my wife one and im lost again. What are the difference between the series 3 and series 4? The series 4 is $130 more expensive.
    Last edited by skeeterj01; 12-11-2018 at 06:16 PM.

2. Member
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

I know. I think this makes the 3rd it 4th thread about it. But I know absolutely nothing about these things.

Series 4 offers some features the 3 doesn’t. If you go to the Apple website you should be able to compare the differences. I’d get the 4 I think if buying one now. I will probably buy my wife the 4 for Christmas, she has a 1 now. I have had a Series 3 for about a year, had a 1 before the 3. The 4 has some heart features not available on the 3. My Series 1 was aluminum and my 3 is stainless which my wife bought me for Christmas. I would have never bought the stainless but I do like it more than the aluminum, both are fine though.

Thanks fellas

Just saw on Sam's website that this Saturday you can get up to $50 off on certain models online.

8. Member
    I have a 2, my wife has a 1. Her's is an early copy and the battery will die about 6 or 7 at night now. Mine will still last for at least two days. I can swim, fish, etc...in mine. The 3 adds a few more features that I really can't see using. I mostly wear mine when working hard, the heart feature is good for monitoring heart rate. All that being said if you know about Apple you know they don't tend to support their products forever. I don't think I would even bother putting another battery in my wife's 1 if I could. Some of the older apps don't even work on my new X phone. That's most any electronics. I prefer my old mechanical watches for an every day watch.

It's your wife, spend the extra 130.00 if you're going to get this type of watch.

9. Member
    Like skeeter I'm looking at for my wife also. Is it worth going to the cell version or just do the gps that links to phone?

Unless you just have to have the latest and greatest the Series 3 is a great watch. My wife absolutely loves everything about hers.
    But, be prepared if the person getting it likes to exercise. Then it’s all about completing the circles. Every, single day.
    Watch Macy’s for sales on Series 3. I bought two for $249.00 each on the Saturday after Black Friday. And there are a ton of good, cheap bands for them.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prcntryboy View Post
    Like skeeter I'm looking at for my wife also. Is it worth going to the cell version or just do the gps that links to phone?
    Would you talk to your watch enough to pay the monthly fee, or do you like tech gadgets that much? Some folks just do. My wife and most of her friends that teach who have them like it for not needing to pull their phone out all the time. The non cellar does them fine.

I wear a nice suit for work. I've tried to buy the dressy bands, it's still an Apple Watch, not really my style. I can't recall the last time I changed the standard black strap on mine. My wife changes bumpers and straps all the time on hers. Like Razor said there are a TON of bands for these things and they are always gift ideas.

Of course Apple changed the sizes on the latest gen so you'll need new bands when you upgrade.

I have the cellular version and while I don’t use it very much it’s nice to have if needed. I fish alone occasionally and thought it might come in handy in case I fall in and need help. I use it while out walking and listening to music also. If you have your phone nearby then the cellular is not needed and you can still talk through your watch or control your music through it. I can’t say I need it by any means so I think it just depends on your wife.

4 has the new features...fda cleared ekg, smaller bezel, better screen, etc. I believe the screen size on the small 4 is the same as the larger size in series 3, but with the smaller bezel, it shrinks that larger footprint down. My wife recently got the 4 and she loves it. The fact she can see a text quickly without pulling out her phone is a big feature. plus you can talk through it. My wife got the cell version, so it costs $10 a month to have it on our plan with att. Depending on your insurance, if there is a history of heart issues in the family, you may can get it covered with insurance for the fda heart monitor aspect.

14. Member
    The series 4 has the gyro/accelerometer fall detection; with cellular; it detects if you take a hard fall and after a minute of you not telling the watch you’re okay, it will call EMS with your gps coordinates.
    -
    This is an intriguing feature for those of us not getting any younger but still enjoy the outdoors alone.
    -
    Heck; there’s a thread right now in the lounge where this looks like it might have been a useful feature.

The 3 and 4 are pretty similar, since the difference really isn't all that much I would go with the newest model if I were you because it does have a few extra features. No matter which model you get though, MAKE SURE you buy Apple Care! My wife bought me a 3 this year for my birthday by putting it on the cell phone bill at the Sprint store, not too bad of a deal really, just have to pay for the watch over 2 years. The cell phone stores won't try to sell you Apple Care because they don't make anything on it, they could care less really so my wife had no idea Apple Care even existed. Well, 3 days later I very lightly bumped the watch against my truck door and it shattered. I learned that the Apple Watch face is not something that can be repaired, the whole watch has to be replaced! ...and, without Apple Care you are going to pay full price. I ended up having to buy a replacement, the Apple Store representative was able to give me a $100 discount for turning in my 1st watch (total rip off if you ask me)... but I still had to pay $300 for the replacement. I made some calls to Apple and "talked them in" to "letting me" purchase Apple Care on the replacement, something they don't normally do, but at least I have a working watch now.

Also, make sure you get a good case!
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ple+watch+case
    Last edited by Bub; 12-12-2018 at 08:14 AM.