Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Headed to Smith Mountain Lake in 2019

This will be my first trip to Smith Mountain Lake. We will be going the last week of June. Normally I head north for a fishing trip, however since my wife got sick I felt a change was needed. We can mix several different things in a trip to a southern lake. Not many things other than fishing in Canada. In any event this is a new lake for me. A little more traffic and more homes than trees. I'm staying between the park and bridge.

So since I will be new does anyone have any suggestions on the best parts of the lake for large or small mouth bass. I suspect my fishing time will be very early am to noon. The rest of the day I will be enjoying some exploring the area with the wife.

Also any good restaurants, or places to take a boat ride with the wife to site see or eat.

Thanks.

2. Member
    I fished it this past November. Saw signs stating congested areas. Fish early and be off water by 10. Like riding the high seas. A Lot of bass tournaments held at night. Just be safe and have a good time.

3. Banned
    Head uplake past the bridges. The water traffic drops significantly as you head past the s-turns. That's honestly my favorite area of the lake to fish anyway.

4. Member
    Stay away from main channel after 10 am, a lot of boat traffic and big boats too

5. Member
    I am expecting some traffic but maybe not as much as your hinting. My home lake is pretty open even during peak weekends in the summer. Week days it is a ghost town. Canada never has crowds where I go. When I lived in Florida I never had issues. Even with a 21 foot bass boat wakes can be annoying.

I am assuming the coves might be a little calmer? Is it very busy during the weekdays

6. Member
    I can assure you SML in June will be insane with boat traffic....the weekdays might not be quite as bad but the lake is extremely narrow and they run some huge boats on it and to be honest the fishing isn't that great IMO to warrant a trip from PA, especially if you are used to fishing up north...if its just more of a vacation and fishing is a sidenote you'll be fine but if its more of a fishing trip I'd expect to be disappointed.

I fish over there a few days in May, pm me a couple of weeks before you go. If the James River is not high that week I can squeeze in day if you want to try it.

"I'm just looking for a bite"

This is a neat way to spend an evening on SML. We've been a couple times, once on 4th of July to watch fireworks show.

https://vadarecruises.com

Lots of history nearby if you're into that, short ride to Blue Ridge Parkway, Peaks of Otter, D-Day Memorial. Loads of good eats all around the lake. Some wine vineyards too.

9. Member
    I lived in Short Pump in the late 80's. I never fished the James but did a lot of fishing on Lake Anna. We are going to SML for a break as my wife has been fighting cancer for a year. I get to do some fishing and she gets a relaxing vacation on the lake. So it works.

Thanks for the tips, I may be up for the James. Maybe if you we can trade a day for the James and a early day on SML.

I'm thinking I can get 4 to 5 hours in before the traffic gets to bad, maybe it will rain then I will be in heaven.

10. Member
    Hey isn't there muskie in the James. I guess i will have to bring the big rods too.

Yes, we get a musky every now and then. Landed 3 this year on bass tackle. Even got one on a senko. Trip trade sounds good. Check your pm.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mountain Man View Post
    I fish over there a few days in May, pm me a couple of weeks before you go. If the James River is not high that week I can squeeze in day if you want to try it.
    What part of the James is your preference?

Near Lynchburg, above and below.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mountain Man View Post
    Near Lynchburg, above and below.
    Sounds like we may fish a lot of the same waters on the James.

I live 10 minutes from SML fish it all year the boat traffic is a little rough if you're not use to it. But plenty of places to get out of traffic. As for the fishing it's great they've been stocking the F1 tiger bass several years now and the 20+ lb bags it takes to win most tournaments speak for themselves not to mention look up last years big Bass tour tournament average was 4 lbs + and 7.81 to win and top 10 all over 6+ this lake is on fire but it can humble you really fast. Send me a pm before you head down and I'll try to give you a few tips
    Angler's Choice Martinsville VA

2015 Ranger Z518c

16. Member
    Im local and could use some pointers lol
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by SmlRanger View Post
    Im local and could use some pointers lol
    Stay away from Hardy area, it's a mess right now.

That's all I got.

18. Member
    A little over 4 months to go.

19. Member
    Lots of good restaurants and neat things to see and do. Are you on the Bedford Co side or the Franklin Co side?

20. Member
    Between the park and the bridge. RT 654 all most at the end of the road on a small cove or bay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast