Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 218_fishing View Post
    Winchester Super SX3, I truly love this gun lol my first shotgun I bought my self this thing it is great for goose hunting.
    If you like the SX3 you'd love the TriStar Viper G2.

2. Member
    I own a Benelli M2, Beretta 391, and a Remington 1100. The Benelli is my hunting gun, due to its simplicity of design and durability. The inertia operated benellis are the most reliable under harsh conditions, although they produce slightly more recoil than gas operated guns such as the Beretta or Remington. The Beretta 391 and new A400 are the standard semi-autos used by serious sporting clays shooters, although the 391 is a pain in butt to clean. The fore mentioned shotguns are a little more than $1000, but they hold their value better than the lower cost brands.
    2000 Viper Coral 202
    2013 Pro XS 200

Quote Originally Posted by pitbully71 View Post
    Beretta A300.

The shitty recoil operated auto's kick like a mule compared to a gas auto.

This for sure. Bought one for my son several years ago and love it. I take it when he is not around. Several of my hunting buddies have them and they all love them. And well under a grand so plenty extra to spend on shells at the clays range. I see no need to spend any more than what this gun costs.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    May sound crazy, but a TriStar Viper G2. It's essentially a Beretta 390 trigger group with a Remington 1100 action. I've had mine for a few years, put 1000's of rounds through it and it's been flawless. I have the Sporting model. It's been my primary skeet, 5-stand and sport clays gun since I bought it.

FWIW, I usually ran O/U prior. Own a Beretta 686 and Browning Citori. Also own a Benelli ETHOS Sport, Rem 1100 and Winchester X3. I'll pick up that TriStar every time these days.
    Not bad advice even though I'd still prefer the A300. But this would allow you to save a few bucks. I think the action is actually more like the older Beretta 302/303 action though. At least the 20 ga they have appears to be. I've never seen the 12 ga.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
    have one - it has never jammed
    I actually had a fail to fire this season but I took it home and disassembled it and a small handful sticks, twigs and general crap was up in the receiver. To be expected from sitting in the bottom of a kayak for several days. Cleaned the log jam out of it and it has been fine.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

6. Banned
    Franchi Affinity would be my choice or a Winchester Sx3 or 4. The Affinity is made by Benelli. It's almost identical to the M2. The only major difference is it doesn't have the advanced recoil system that the M2 does. It's also half the price of the M2

7. Member
    Now strongly considering the A300, Affinity and still the SX3 or 4. Need to shoulder them and see what fits best.

Quote Originally Posted by pitbully71 View Post
    Beretta A300.

The shitty recoil operated auto's kick like a mule compared to a gas auto.
    Gas operated Remington's kick like mules also.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

9. Member
    Best gun ever made was the Benelli m1 super 90. Anyone who says different is just jealous in my opinion. Have used one in the duck and turkey woods for years and have never had any issues whatsoever. You can still get the same gun but it’s now called a benelli American. They are right around $1000. Can get a benelli montefeltro for around $800 if you look around. Only difference between it and the m1 is the vent rib isn’t as high on the barrel. M1 just points better to me. I also have a Franchi affinity that is a nice gun. Just not quite as smooth as the benellis are. Have also owned beretta and browning over the years and neither of them are as tough or smooth as the benelli or franchi.

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I actually had a fail to fire this season but I took it home and disassembled it and a small handful sticks, twigs and general crap was up in the receiver. To be expected from sitting in the bottom of a kayak for several days. Cleaned the log jam out of it and it has been fine.
    Laying in a ground blind I had so many cat tails in my chamber I couldn't believe it was still firing! (Vinci)
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Hog View Post
    Best gun ever made was the Benelli m1 super 90. Anyone who says different is just jealous in my opinion. Have used one in the duck and turkey woods for years and have never had any issues whatsoever. You can still get the same gun but it’s now called a benelli American. They are right around $1000. Can get a benelli montefeltro for around $800 if you look around. Only difference between it and the m1 is the vent rib isn’t as high on the barrel. M1 just points better to me. I also have a Franchi affinity that is a nice gun. Just not quite as smooth as the benellis are. Have also owned beretta and browning over the years and neither of them are as tough or smooth as the benelli or franchi.
    Would have to disagree. Both me and my dad have the A300 and my buddy bought the Affiniti, hunted with it on three hunts and sold the gun and he came back with the A400 XTREME and never looked back. Between the three hunts the affinity had to go back for repairs, but could have been that he ended up with the one bad one in the bunch?

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Not bad advice even though I'd still prefer the A300. But this would allow you to save a few bucks. I think the action is actually more like the older Beretta 302/303 action though. At least the 20 ga they have appears to be. I've never seen the 12 ga.
    Beretta is a single rail design. TriStar is a dual rail with the bolt and gas tube more like an 1100, but they're incorporated the recoil spring on to the magazine tube instead of being in the stock, like an 1100. There are some good disassembly videos on youtube. Either way, it's a really nice design that I find easier to take down than my 1100. For the money with the features it offers TriStar is hard to beat at the $600'ish price point.

About the only thing I could complain about the TriStar is that I don't own several more of them. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    The gas Remingtons I own (6 of them) are softer than anything else I've ever shot, with the Versamax being the best of them. Gas Berettas are very nice too. Not a huge fan of the inertia system but they work and I do love the way the Benellis shoulder.

I'd look for a newer remington auto - no problem to find one under 1000.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

Ive been selling Firearms and Duck guns as a dealer since 1994 so I guess I have the a fair amount of experience in this area. The statement of "Stay with the B's" is pretty good advice. Browning (New A5), Beretta(Extrema), Benelli(Super Black Eagle or M1 Super90).... if your budget cant handle new... find a good used one. First your gonna have to ask yourself if you're gonna use it for just Duck Hunting. Basically do you need to shoot 3.5in mags, most Duck hunters do. If you select a 3.5in mag gun know this, NONE of them like cheap Walmart 2.75 Dove loads, your gonna have to use a good heavy power load. All that being said Browning just came out with a "Budget" Do It All gun recently called the Browning Silver Field, and it comes with Camo stocks as well for about $900 otd.
    I personally hunt EVERYTHING with a Browning A5 in 3.5in mag.

Holla if I can help. :)
    --------------------------------------------
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

2017 Sponsoring Partners:
    C&O Marine, Mercury Marine, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Cantrell's Market, Motorguide , YETI, Carrot Stix, Yum, GateWay Tire Service Center, StormR, SpoolTek, RodSox, Jewel Bait Company, U.S. Bass, Bobs Machine Shop, Lazyman Hooks, FishBum, Bass Militia, Rayus, and Jenko Fishing.

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    The gas Remingtons I own (6 of them) are softer than anything else I've ever shot, with the Versamax being the best of them. Gas Berettas are very nice too. Not a huge fan of the inertia system but they work and I do love the way the Benellis shoulder.

I'd look for a newer remington auto - no problem to find one under 1000.
    I agree. I have a Remington 11-87 Sportsman Field I use for sporting clays. It works great.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKMEISTER View Post
    Ive been selling Firearms and Duck guns as a dealer since 1994 so I guess I have the a fair amount of experience in this area. The statement of "Stay with the B's" is pretty good advice. Browning (New A5), Beretta(Extrema), Benelli(Super Black Eagle or M1 Super90).... if your budget cant handle new... find a good used one. First your gonna have to ask yourself if you're gonna use it for just Duck Hunting. Basically do you need to shoot 3.5in mags, most Duck hunters do. If you select a 3.5in mag gun know this, NONE of them like cheap Walmart 2.75 Dove loads, your gonna have to use a good heavy power load. All that being said Browning just came out with a "Budget" Do It All gun recently called the Browning Silver Field, and it comes with Camo stocks as well for about $900 otd.
    I personally hunt EVERYTHING with a Browning A5 in 3.5in mag.

Holla if I can help. :)
    The new fad is definitely shooting 3.5s for whatever reason, I reckon knocking ducks down beyond the tree tops- If you plan on selling at any point down the road a 3.5 is probably the way to go- For what it’s worth, I also shoot a 3.5” A5, won it on a $5 raffle ticket- Never had a failure to fire/failure to feed on a “cheap Walmart 2.75 Dove load” but maybe I just got a good one- Previosly shot a benelli nova for roughly 8 years and wouldn’t wish that punishment on anyone-

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonky View Post
    The new fad is definitely shooting 3.5s for whatever reason, I reckon knocking ducks down beyond the tree tops- If you plan on selling at any point down the road a 3.5 is probably the way to go- For what it’s worth, I also shoot a 3.5” A5, won it on a $5 raffle ticket- Never had a failure to fire/failure to feed on a “cheap Walmart 2.75 Dove load” but maybe I just got a good one- Previosly shot a benelli nova for roughly 8 years and wouldn’t wish that punishment on anyone-
    I have a Benelli Nova and a Mossberg 935 Waterfowl. I'm tired of punishing my shoulder. I try not to shoot 3.5's if I can help it. Stick with 3's for duck hunting and want a gun to handle target loads/dove loads.

The Fabarm Initial Hunter is worth looking at; about $1100, so it might stretch your budget a bit. Fantastic shotgun, though.

19. Member
    I like the Stoeger M3500 for 3.5" work, but the Beretta 1301 or the Remington Versamax for everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    I think you're the only person to ever say that. The 1100 and 11-87 have a reputation for being the softest shooting guns out there. Maybe if you shoot 3.5" shells from a Versamax it will kick hard but you have to be reasonable in your expectations.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast