Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best Shotgun under $1000

Thinking of making a new shotgun purchase for duck and a little bird hunting. I've got a Mossberg 935 waterfowl that kicks like a mule. I also have a Benelli supernova as my backup. Considering the Winchester sx4, but looking for other ideas as well.

Benelli vinchi. Can be found under 1000 new and a damn nice gun
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    Beretta A300.

The shitty recoil operated auto's kick like a mule compared to a gas auto.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

I had a shitty Benelli Super Black Eagle that would shoot anything you put in it though. Certain gas operated guns will jam if you don't feed them what they like. IE: 3.5 magnum shooting 2.75 loads. The Benelli didn't mind doing this.

5. Member
    Benelli M2 IMO. I had the vinci and didn't care for it, had a super black eagle 2 that had feed problems. Nice thing about the Benelli brand you can sell them and get almost all your money back.

6. Member
    I sold a winchester SXP & bought a Berretta A300 ..Actually bought 2, one for me and one for my son ..Paid $750 a piece 3 seasons ago...the recoil is much softer than the pump...He and I have a lot good hunts together with no issues...If can stay with 3" shells it is a good choice...

7. Banned
    Something gas...I have a Brownie and love it....or a nice 20 gauge for the bird hunting say a browning over under

8. Member
    Benelli m1 super 90, not new.

9. Banned
    May sound crazy, but a TriStar Viper G2. It's essentially a Beretta 390 trigger group with a Remington 1100 action. I've had mine for a few years, put 1000's of rounds through it and it's been flawless. I have the Sporting model. It's been my primary skeet, 5-stand and sport clays gun since I bought it.

FWIW, I usually ran O/U prior. Own a Beretta 686 and Browning Citori. Also own a Benelli ETHOS Sport, Rem 1100 and Winchester X3. I'll pick up that TriStar every time these days.

10. Member
    Lots of good guns made by the major manufacturers. The SX4 or M2 would be at the top of my list for that price range. It would be best to get your hands on each to see how they fit and check the weight. A lighter gun is nice in the field but you're gonna feel it more with mag loads. Just the opposite with a heavier gun.

I only pheasant hunt, but my two favorites are my 391 beretta, and my Winchester supreme o/u.

12. Member
    I have a super black egale which is a great gun, but i picked up a new browning A5 this year and WOW what a gun. I think the Benelli is more of a work horse and not as temperamental never has a issue, but man i can flat shoot that A5 what a gun. I would look at a A5 if i were you, but plenty of good shot guns out there dont forget Vinci they make a great shot gun also.

13. Member
    Stoeger 3500. 600 to 650 $. Or Winchester SX4 850 to 900$ Stoeger is inertia driven And the Winchester is gas operated

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    I had a shitty Benelli Super Black Eagle that would shoot anything you put in it though. Certain gas operated guns will jam if you don't feed them what they like. IE: 3.5 magnum shooting 2.75 loads. The Benelli didn't mind doing this.
    Well, all I can say is that you had a good one.

I own two Super Black Eagle's (I know, I'm a dumbass for buying the second one ) and neither one of them will even reliably shoot 3" shells let alone 2 3/4 shells. One I sent to the factory and they said I must not hold the gun firmly enough!!! Say what? The other I installed a "sure cycle" recoil spring assembly in. They still won't function reliably, especially in cold weather. Tried a Remington Versa Max...save your money and don't go there either. And this year I bought a Beretta A400 Extreme and it cycles and shoots perfectly. The ONLY thing I don't like about the Beretta is the safety being in front of the trigger guard.

On your budget I'd recommend the Beretta A300 or the Winchester. One of my hunting partners has the Winchester and he loves it.

Benelli Super Nova (on sale)
    Benelli Nova or the M1 Super 90
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

16. Member
    One that hasn’t been mentioned is the browning maxxus. They are normally over the 1000 price mark but if you look around can be had under it. I bought mine last year on a Black Friday sale it was 1699.99 and marked down to 899.99 with a 100 dollar rebate. Mine is the actus camp patern which is nice and I love the dura touch finish. Whatever you get get whatever feels nicest and fits you best. I have a brother that can’t hit anything with a browning as it just doesn’t fit him well. For me the browning fits me the best and I can’t hit anything with his beretta.

Quote Originally Posted by pitbully71 View Post
    Beretta A300.

The shitty recoil operated auto's kick like a mule compared to a gas auto.
    have one - it has never jammed

Benelli

19. Banned
    It's safe to say that a "B" gun will serve you well. Beneli, Browning or Beretta, find one that fits you best and run it.

20. Member
    Winchester Super SX3, I truly love this gun lol my first shotgun I bought my self this thing it is great for goose hunting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast