Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How long do you want to live?

Are you an 'American Immortal?'
    Below is one man's desire to expire at the age of 75, and he makes some good points.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-at-75/379329/
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

i wish to live long enough to be burden to my kids.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shasta Bob View Post
    i wish to live long enough to be burden to my kids.
    LOL, I already am.....

I’m going to be a mess if I make it to 70 have done so much damage to my body already .. so if I can stay active and healthy I will be tickled pink

Sadly I have always had a feeling I’m out in my 50’s... no idea why but have had that feeling for most of my life .. hopefully it’s just some dumb thing that stuck in my head

I’ve lived a dam happy life to this point so if it’s time it’s time

5. Member
    Well since the author helped create Obamacare, I can see why he thinks 75 is enough.

6. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    longer than they think i will...............

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    I’m going to be a mess if I make it to 70 have done so much damage to my body already .. so if I can stay active and healthy I will be tickled pink

Sadly I have always had a feeling I’m out in my 50’s... no idea why but have had that feeling for most of my life .. hopefully it’s just some dumb thing that stuck in my head

stay happy and live well is all you can do Jerry.
    I found it interesting the he doesn't believe in euthanasia, so if he lives to 75 how will he bow out? I he kills himself isn't it still sort of the same thing?
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

8. Member
    I don't have a number, but I damn sure don't want to live forever. I eat right most of the time, exercise five to six days a week, and do my best to stay active. This is all so I can do the things I like to do as long as possible. When my body starts to wear out I am not going to any herculean efforts to save it. Quality over quantity for me. And my wife absolutely hates this mentality of mine.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Acuna View Post
    I don't have a number, but I damn sure don't want to live forever. I eat right most of the time, exercise five to six days a week, and do my best to stay active. This is all so I can do the things I like to do as long as possible. When my body starts to wear out I am not going to any herculean efforts to save it. Quality over quantity for me. And my wife absolutely hates this mentality of mine.
    My wife is exactly the same, while I'm more like you.
    My mother is 89, active and in excellent health, but says she's ready to go be with the Lord. She's made it very clear that we're not to intervene if there's any serious health issue.

10. Banned
    I see my father now at 77 and it's scary. Congestive heart failure, COPD, heart valve replacement, diverticulitis requiring partial colon removal. A cold means automatic pneumonia...just did a week in a hospital. But, he did a lot of it to himself. Alcoholic...habitual smoker despite all the health issues. Most of the time he is confined to his recliner hooked up to oxygen. I've even heard him say that he wishes he was done.

Thankfully, I have not indulged in alcohol or smoking. I'll admit my diet would probably match his in his day and it's not good. My last check up was pretty good early this year. But, you never know.

11. Member
    at long as I get a 29 lbs largemouth bass ...

then I can die happy

My dad always said that at 80 he was gonna start smoking again (he quit at 40) and start boozing real hard. He died at 76 so he never got to follow threw.

13. Member
    I’m 75 and I’m still golfing two to three times a week, along with fishing every week (weather permitting). I want to hang around as long as possible. I have a lot of people I haven’t pissed off yet to go. I seem to be gaining knowledge everyday, because I am finding more people are wrong.

Even my doctor. I find all of these aches and pains and he doesn’t know what they are, but I do as I can feel them, so I must be smarter than him.

When I drive down the road I continuously see people making mistakes in their driving. They honk their horn in an apologetic way, so at least they are aware of their mistakes.

So, I am still making a lot of contributions to society!

14. Banned
    If I said what I told my wife to do when I die I'd be banned from here for life!

15. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I'm 80. Have relatives in England who lived to over 100. As long as I can function on my own, I'm not in any hurry to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post

LOL Sunshine, I'll probably be there with you. People die early in my family, my dad died @ 55 back in '77. I lost my oldest sister @ 53 back in 2005. I'm 54 now, maybe I'll buck the trend, maybe I won't. Dad or sis didn't smoke, drink, overeat, etc. Genetics are a bitch.

I used to think quite a bit about it, not so much anymore. When your time's up, it's up.
    Ranting incoherently

17. Member
    My goal is to die the day before I need to be in a home or a burden to my wife or family.

18. Member
    I want to die the day I drink my last beer and spend my last dollar.

19. Member
    I just dont want to live long enough to be a burden ---because lord knows only person i could count on is my wife. I would hate to have to rely on my kids--i would be SOL
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

20. Member
    I don't see many people over 80 that are having any fun. I'm almost 73. Yep, 80 sounds about right for me to go on to whatever is next.
    Last edited by BASSGURU; 12-11-2018 at 05:33 PM. Reason: add age

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast