Lithium Pro battery setup and charging?

Looking at putting one 36v lithium pro for ultrex 112# TM, and one 12v Lithium pro for cranking. I was going to add the charge on the run lithium pro charger to divert alternator power to the 36v battery when the cranking battery is above 80%.

All of that sounds fine but how do I recharge this system? Lithium pro said a single bank 15A AGM charger on the cranking battery will charge both batteries, ie charge the cranking battery to 80% then divert the charge through the charge on the run system to the 36v battery until it is topped off then top off the cranking battery, then go into maintenance mode. Dual pro said their charger won’t do this.

Basically what is the best way to charge and keep charged a 36v and 12v lithium batteries?

2. Member
    If you are using their "charge on the run" DC Charger what you said is correct. Your AC charger connects only to the cranking battery. Once the cranking battery is charged enough the "charge on the run" system will start sending the charge current to the 36 volt trolling motor batteries.

This is the easiest way to think about it. The AC charger is connected to the cranking battery and the DC Charger (charge on the run) handles the rest. It determines which bank (12v cranking or 36v TM) the charge current is sent to.

I have seen guys use the "charge on the run" system with other brand AC chargers for LP Lithium batteries and they seem to work ok. If you are looking at buying a new AC charger you might consider the one from Stealth 1. It is made to work with the DC charger you are getting. It is also pretty small. You can go to the Stealth 1 website and look at the manual to see how it hooks up. You can also call Danny at Stealth 1.

3. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Stealth 1 in the past has refused to disclose their charging details and without knowing interface specs it is not possible to determine its compatibility with a specific battery's charging needs.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    Stealth 1 in the past has refused to disclose their charging details and without knowing interface specs it is not possible to determine its compatibility with a specific battery's charging needs.
    That is a good point Lou. This is true from what I have read on this forum in the past. But, I do know that when you order a charger from them they need to know what type of batteries you are using so they can send you the correct charger. A Stealth 1 lithium charger is not setup the same as a flooded battery charger. What the difference is I have no idea. If you buy a used Stealth charger you really need to know what it was setup for.

5. Member
    I run a full Lithium Pro setup: cranking, 2 36 volt TM, and house battery. I have the small start battery and the 12 volt house battery on a Perko jump switch so I could tie the house battery to the start battery if I should ever need to (haven't had the need yet). Occasionally I will switch the Perko switch to 'both" and top the house battery off a bit while moving around on the lake. On the rare times I do plug in while at the dock, I have 2 AC (2 leads each) units with 3 leads going to the start battery and one lead going to the house battery.

As others have pointed out, the 3 leads to the start battery provide the necessary current, once the start battery reaches full charge, for the DC side to kick in and charge the TM batteries. Remember these lithium batteries can charge at 45 amps, hence the 3 AC leads. The 4th lead goes to the house battery.

As I see it for yours, you could probably do with a single AC charger from Danny to handle charge duty to the start and house battery. Should only need it occasionally to top both (house/TM) off after a long day on the water. Your graphs will run for a LONG time on a 100 AH lithium house battery. Danny can be a bit tough to catch on the phone but he could probably point you in the right direction.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

6. Member
    Is there a cost benefit to a single 36 volt battery versus three 12 volts in series? Wouldn't the failure of a single cell cost 3 times as much because you'd have to change the whole thing at once?

7. Member
    I was looking at the single 36v more as weight and space saving, one 30 lb battery verse three 16-18 lb batteries. I plan to buy a $80-$100 lithium jumper battery as an emergency backup for the 12v house/cranking battery.

8. Member
    If one cell goes bad they can replace just the bad cell.

I havent read everything here there is to read but, doesnt Stealth make a unit that doubles as an onboard D/C charger and also work off of a A/C current at the house?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    I havent read everything here there is to read but, doesnt Stealth make a unit that doubles as an onboard D/C charger and also work off of a A/C current at the house?
    It is actually two units that stack on top of each other. The Lithium Pros "charge on the run" is the same footprint as the one you buy for Stealth 1 so if you buy the Stealth AC charger you can mount the Lithium Pro DC charger on top of it.

Stealth calls it a Max-Pack - AC & DC mounted together.

11. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    Quote Originally Posted by huntertn View Post
    It is actually two units that stack on top of each other. The Lithium Pros "charge on the run" is the same footprint as the one you buy for Stealth 1 so if you buy the Stealth AC charger you can mount the Lithium Pro DC charger on top of it.

That is correct. Also what we recommend for those guys going with the single 36v battery setups.

12. Member
    I talked with stealth charging today, they are offering a lithium battery package now. What I gather is Stealth and Lithium Pro are sharing some technology, charging/batteries, the batteries are the same as Lithium Pro then using Stealth Charging system. I’m going to go with a full Stealth lithium system with monitor gauge.

13. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    Quote Originally Posted by Grak767 View Post
    I talked with stealth charging today, they are offering a lithium battery package now. What I gather is Stealth and Lithium Pro are sharing some technology, charging/batteries, the batteries are the same as Lithium Pro then using Stealth Charging system. I’m going to go with a full Stealth lithium system with monitor gauge.

Yeah Danny is rebadging the lithium pros and putting in his stealth charger. Which is the same charger lithium pros has been using for a few years.
    Should be available in a few weeks.

14. Member
    If one cell goes bad they can replace just the bad cell.
    And what do you troll with in the mean time?

15. Member
    I have a 2 battery LitPro setup like the OP mentioned. The single 36v (with e-start) and the big 12 v - 3 years and 235 flawlwss hours. 24 Bay boat with 350 Verado. My charger is the MK230pc, wired as stated in post #2. I have beeen very pleased. Good luck.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    And what do you troll with in the mean time?
    You would be using a paddle until you got the battery back - I guess.

17. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I have ran for years both a single and dual 36 volt trolling with a 12 volt cranking, get the 110 amp for cranking.
    huntertn is correct on the stealth units. There is 2 that can be mounted together or on different sides of the boat if you wish. Danny might not post the specs but it works and is designed for the lithium, though you can have them programmed for any other type battery also.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by proptwister View Post
    I run a full Lithium Pro setup: cranking, 2 36 volt TM, and house battery. I have the small start battery and the 12 volt house battery on a Perko jump switch so I could tie the house battery to the start battery if I should ever need to (haven't had the need yet). Occasionally I will switch the Perko switch to 'both" and top the house battery off a bit while moving around on the lake. On the rare times I do plug in while at the dock, I have 2 AC (2 leads each) units with 3 leads going to the start battery and one lead going to the house battery.

As others have pointed out, the 3 leads to the start battery provide the necessary current, once the start battery reaches full charge, for the DC side to kick in and charge the TM batteries. Remember these lithium batteries can charge at 45 amps, hence the 3 AC leads. The 4th lead goes to the house battery.

As I see it for yours, you could probably do with a single AC charger from Danny to handle charge duty to the start and house battery. Should only need it occasionally to top both (house/TM) off after a long day on the water. Your graphs will run for a LONG time on a 100 AH lithium house battery. Danny can be a bit tough to catch on the phone but he could probably point you in the right direction.
    This is exactly the setup I have also, except my house battery and cranking battery are the same. I do the same thing with my jump switch. I did have the house battery drain dead once after a long day with three 12 inch graphs, dual power poles, and livewell when I went on the lake without a full charge. I have been tempted to just leave the jump switch on "both" all the time to run the 12v batteries in parallel and charge them both while running the big motor. I keep a Weego jumper battery in the boat which I hope would allow me to jump off the lithium battery if needed.

19. Member

Yep that's what I have. They piggy back on each other.