Transom saver for new v8

Anyone know if the old style transom saver will work on the new v8 motors. I'm going get my motor installed Friday and will be traveling 8-9 hours.

2. Member
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

3. mikesxpress
    It's on here.

4. Banned
    Transom saver to me means the motor toter that supports the lower unit from the trailer which I believe is what the OP is referring to since he's talking about making a long haul. What lower unit do you have on your new outboard as I think there is an issue with the wings being in the way on the new TM lower unit.

5. Member
    300R Sportsmaster lower unit.

6. Member
    I use the old style on my 200 Pro XS V-8.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwebre74 View Post
    Anyone know if the old style transom saver will work on the new v8 motors. I'm going get my motor installed Friday and will be traveling 8-9 hours.
    i am also intrested if the old style will do!, surely it will do to get u home. 8-9 hours,, that's a road trip!! Hope it's round trip?!
    regardless,, congrats on motor finally being delivered!
    note: mite take a short piece of PVC, with ya, slide it over the tilt cylinders,, buddy did his like that, just to get home.
    gene
    22 BassCat Lynx
    22Mercury proXS
    Hummingbird/garmin
    ALX rods/Shimano /Lews
    Maxwell Flying inc

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There is some info in the FAQ section, and several posts right here on the 1st page of the 4 stroke forum with information on how some can be MODIFIED.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Banned
    300R Sportsmaster lower unit.
    If you have a sportmaster then I don't see what the problem would be with a traditional old school transom saver as nothing supports the motor better imo.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritonman2012 View Post
    I use the old style on my 200 Pro XS V-8.
    Do you have a 1.75:1 torque master or the 1.85:1 standard style lower unit as your outboard can come either way?

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    If you have a sportmaster then I don't see what the problem would be with a traditional old school transom saver as nothing supports the motor better imo.
    Debatable... as even with the best of tie-downs the boat and trailer move independently as you travel over bumps, cracks, potholes, etc.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Debatable... as even with the best of tie-downs the boat and trailer move independently as you travel over bumps, cracks, potholes, etc.
    I know you saw the video I posted of the motor moving around while under tow as it got deleted.

Local dealer here that services touring pros boats said switching back to the old motor toter solved issues they were experiencing for what's it's worth, figure those guys are the test bed even if they get a new boat and motor every year.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As I said... debatable, with credence on both sides. The fact is that it doesn't matter which type you choose if you run over speed bumps and potholes at 55+ MPH (something is gonna break).

Most of the folks up this way have moved to the triangulating-type brackets, rather than the older rod-type (and we see a lot less transom problems now).

14. Member
    Explain the triangulating type bracket for this novice please? Maybe a pic or link to one?

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A triangulated-type support essentially creates a triangle by adding a device somewhere within the transom bracket area (to support the swivel bracket or lower mount nuts).

Wide variety of such devices out there. These differ from the traditional "stick" type support in that they do not connect to the boat trailer (or trailer rollers).

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Z7sport View Post
    Explain the triangulating type bracket for this novice please? Maybe a pic or link to one?
    I think the switch was made from the traditional "transom saver" once boat manufacturers got away from using wood at the same time outboards have continued to get heavier and need all the support they can get imo, no pun intended.

17. Member
    Just got my 4 stroke 200 hp v8 ser.2B596234 installed yesterday my attwood swivel holder would not work had to buy old style motor toter it looks like mercury plugged up bolt holes which can be Removed and replaced with studes like my 2 stroke had any buddy else cked this out ? The old style toter fits right above the wings on foot don’t think I like this it’s tight fit .

18. mikesxpress
    We have already addresed this. Search is your friend.