Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motor Guide Xi5 Question

Currently using a 45" Minn Kota 24V 65 Edge, looking to change over to a Motor Guide Xi5 24V 80 to use with my Elite Ti 9.
    Should I stay with a 45" shaft, or go longer to 54" or 60" on a Xpress H51?
    Also, how important is it to have the key pad to wear around neck, since I'm going to connect Xi5 to an Elite?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by bulldog44; 12-11-2018 at 11:31 AM.
    1998 Xpress H51, 90hp Yamaha, 6" Vance JP, MotorGuide Xi3, Lowrance Electronics, Micro Power Pole...

I had a 45" motor guide and went with a 45" xi5.
    It's worked out great for me but if I was in rough water alot I would need to go to the next length. This is on a nitro 482.
    If I had to do it over I would still get the 45"
    As for the remote. You most certainly want it. I probably use it 85% of the time. the link is nice but your not going want to drive the boat all the time with it.
    Put the remote on a lanyard and clip it to your front pocket belt loop. Put it the length of your arm. Its always right where you need it.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

3. Member
    I have a 2018 Motor Guide Xi5 that I have listed on the trolling motor section of BBC. It is a 105lbs/36v...It is a 45" shaft. I will make you a really good deal.

4. Member
    When pulling unit in, do you grab the head of the Xi5 after stepping on the release? If so, would it be easier to have an extra 6" to keep from bending over much? Reason I ask, my back is not that good.
    Thanks!
    1998 Xpress H51, 90hp Yamaha, 6" Vance JP, MotorGuide Xi3, Lowrance Electronics, Micro Power Pole...

Yes. If you can deal with the extra length sticking up it would help with stowing.
    Anthrax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymyers View Post
    I have a 2018 Motor Guide Xi5 that I have listed on the trolling motor section of BBC. It is a 105lbs/36v...It is a 45" shaft. I will make you a really good deal.
    Too big for my little boat...Thanks though...

7. Member
    Last spring I installed a Xi5 on a 2003 Nitro NX882...while a 45 would have worked I'm glad I went with a 54.
    I rarely use the foot pedal but use the "fob" all the time even though it's connected to my Lowrance Elite Ti units.
    I did the "bicycle stem" addition for a lift handle. (find that on You-Tube) Got the stem from my local bike shop and used a length of trolling motor shaft from a previous motor that I shortened the shaft on.
    Last edited by WisconsinF; 12-11-2018 at 01:59 PM. Reason: added text

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    Last spring I installed a Xi5 on a 2003 Nitro NX882...while a 45 would have worked I'm glad I went with a 54.
    I rarely use the foot pedal but use the "fob" all the time.
    I did the "bicycle stem" addition for a lift handle. (find that on You-Tube) Got the stem from my local bike shop and used a length of trolling motor shaft from a previous motor that I shortened the shaft on.
    Does the head get in the way of casting?

9. Member
    Link to bike stem modification for lift handle

10. Member
    Nope....however, most of the water that I fish in that boat is not very shallow so I can drop it down almost all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog44 View Post
    Does the head get in the way of casting?
    Last edited by WisconsinF; 12-11-2018 at 02:16 PM.

11. Member
    If the bow of your boat sits proud get the 54 if not get the 45. You will wear the remote. I find the feature of having it connected to the depthfinder for control to be gimmicky.

12. Member
    Make sure the 54" doesn't prevent you from opening your rod locker.

I put the bike handle on mine and cant imagine not having it. Had it in for repair and motorguide tech wanted to know why I mounted a rod holder on the shaft....lol.

14. Member
    I notice that remotes are different on same models. Both are model # 940800270. One remote has less functions and the other and one is listed as "Pinpoint GPS Remote".
    Last edited by bulldog44; 12-12-2018 at 10:59 AM.

You want the pinpoint.
    You should also send a pm to one of the sponsors for a quote. I bet you save some money.
    Anthrax

16. Member
    Hi I’m trying to mount my xi5 to a 2008 482 dc, does anyone have any pics of one installed on a nitro 482? Should I buy the quick release bracket?

17. Member
    I have a Tracker 195 with this exact set-up. My Xi5 is 24v 80Lb 54" shaft. It is fully networked. Since the software update it has been awesome. I really love the fact I can control it from my graph if I want to. I added a bicycle handle to make deployment easier. I don't recall the brand, but I got it off Amazon. The 54" shaft is the best length for the 195. It almost never surfaces when the boat is bouncing around.

Quote Originally Posted by insane1975 View Post
    Hi I’m trying to mount my xi5 to a 2008 482 dc, does anyone have any pics of one installed on a nitro 482? Should I buy the quick release bracket?
    I have a 2006 482 with a xi5.
    I would Not recommend the motorguide universal quick release for this boat.
    It's a well built mount but doesn't work for me on this boat.
    I should have gone with a scissors type lift mount.
    The problem is how much the xi5 overhangs off the bow.
    When launching and loading, the roller on the trailer hits the motor.
    I have to take my motor off and lay it on the deck, launch then put it back on.
    The same for loading.
    Last edited by TMG; 07-14-2023 at 08:41 AM.
    Anthrax

Anthrax

20. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    When deploying the motor make sure your face isn't in the way. Not long after I got my Xi5 years ago I went on a night trip and long story short I needed some dental work after it chipped a tooth and busted my lip open.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

No one likes a pot licker or GPS pirate. FIND YOUR OWN FISH!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast