Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chart Orientation: Which do you use

Just got a Helix 10 Mega Si. Have not had a chance to get on water with it. Never used a GPS and reading the manual I am confused about which Chart Orientation should be used. Would like to know which you use and why.

North Up always has the Chart (map) with North at the top of the view and the position icon will move on the map according to your travel direction.
    Course Up always has the direction of travel at the top of the view (position icon and Course Line pointed to the top of the view and the map rotates as your travel direction changes).
    Head Up has the direction the bow is pointed
    at the top of the view
    when using a Heading Sensor GPS antenna, and the map rotates according to the direction the bow is pointed. Preferred setting for fishing offshore waypoints.

I use Head Up for units using a Heading Sensor and Course Up with other units.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Heading up here also..
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

4. Member
    For inside practice you will benefit from having north up. That way you won't have to put up with the screen rotating all the time. On the water I am "Head Up". I know a couple of people use north up as they have been using paper maps forever and don't like the map rotating. Bob

5. Member
    I am north up on all my GPS stuff.

Heading up. All personal preference.

7. Member
    Head Up.

8. Member
    Head-Up

9. Member
    One more for Heading Up.

10. Member
    Heading up..

11. Member
    No heading sensor so primarily Course-Up.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Heading Up.

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I guess I am in the minority because every unit I have ever had I put them in course up...Where this really helps me is if I am running down the lake in a narrow channel I like the map and boat icon to be in the exact orientation I am moving. If I see a sudden channel swing to my left and I turn my steering wheel to the left my boat icon stays in the channel on the map because the map rotates to be in exact correlation to where I am. With course up your boat icon stays pointed forward because your boat is moving forward. The map rotates to be in exact orientation that you actually are are with the topographical map.

I have tried North up but did not like it. I have never tried heading up. Based on how heading up was described I see no difference between course up and heading up?

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    I guess I am in the minority because every unit I have ever had I put them in course up...Where this really helps me is if I am running down the lake in a narrow channel I like the map and boat icon to be in the exact orientation I am moving. If I see a sudden channel swing to my left and I turn my steering wheel to the left my boat icon stays in the channel on the map because the map rotates to be in exact correlation to where I am. With course up your boat icon stays pointed forward because your boat is moving forward. The map rotates to be in exact orientation that you actually are are with the topographical map.

I have tried North up but did not like it. I have never tried heading up. Based on how heading up was described I see no difference between course up and heading up?
    Head up has its most benefit when GPS cannot calculate direction at very slow to zero speed. You loose the Course line when GPS cannot calculate direction.

It also shows side drift in relation to heading since you can be going forward and also be moving sideways in current or wind. In that case the Heading line and Course line can be two different directions.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

15. Member
    Try different one and see what works best for you!
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

16. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Head up has its most benefit when GPS cannot calculate direction at very slow to zero speed. You loose the Course line when GPS cannot calculate direction.

It also shows side drift in relation to heading since you can be going forward and also be moving sideways in current or wind. In that case the Heading line and Course line can be two different directions.
    If I understand your statement correct then I should have my bow unit on heading up because this is typically when I am moving slow or at a near stand still. The reason I ask this is because sometimes my bow unit boat icon will be way out of position in relation to the map orientation. Sometimes when I move on the trolling motor it's like the bow uint map hesitates to be in exact relationship with my actual movements.

At the console I use course up and it works perfect. I suppose this is because my unit is moving fast enough to pick up satellite position updates?

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    If I understand your statement correct then I should have my bow unit on heading up because this is typically when I am moving slow or at a near stand still. The reason I ask this is because sometimes my bow unit boat icon will be way out of position in relation to the map orientation. Sometimes when I move on the trolling motor it's like the bow uint map hesitates to be in exact relationship with my actual movements.

At the console I use course up and it works perfect. I suppose this is because my unit is moving fast enough to pick up satellite position updates?
    That is the exact reason some use a heading sensor.
    If you fish offshore waypoints, a heading sensor is the only thing that will keep you oriented with the waypoint.

The Ultrex trolling motor comes with one and so does the Humminbird 360.
    It comes with a 360 so direction is known to mark and display waypoints on the 360 view.
    It comes with iPilot so it knows where left/right/forward/rearward are to use the Jogging feature.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Heading up
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

19. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    That is the exact reason some use a heading sensor.
    If you fish offshore waypoints, a heading sensor is the only thing that will keep you oriented with the waypoint.

The Ultrex trolling motor comes with one and so does the Humminbird 360.
    It comes with a 360 so direction is known to mark and display waypoints on the 360 view.
    It comes with iPilot so it knows where left/right/forward/rearward are to use the Jogging feature.
    it all makes sense now...thanks

Head up always

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast