Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    +1 Head up

2. Member
    Heading up.

Even without a heading sensor I still prefer heading up as opposed to course up. Differences are minimal, but course up is truly meant to be used with routes or quick routes. In those modes the current planned course will always be up, even if you turn your boat left/right.

Heading up will always orient the travel of the boat at the top. Heading up tends to be a bit more stable in it's accuracy even though it is basically identical to course up, when used as how the average angler will use it.

This is all without a heading sensor. That addition will change things as described in prior posts.

4. Member
    Heads up

5. Member
    I use heading up at console and north up at the bow. Only because I cannot stand the maps continuously flipping around.

Course up on the console unit and heading up on my bow unit.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by Lape0019 View Post
    I use heading up at console and north up at the bow. Only because I cannot stand the maps continuously flipping around.
    All you need is a heading sensor.

8. Member
    I never understood the Heading Up mode. It certainly is a personal preference type thing, but to me having the boat move while the lake stands still only makes sense, and if you are standing still and you dont have a directional puck (where the cursor is always pointing towards where the bow is pointing, rather than which direction you are actually moving) your screen will have a hard time orienting itself at very slow speeds while fishing.

Just my perspective.

9. Member
    Captain, I think the issue is we want to be able to know where our target actually is in reference to the boat. If there is no physical target to reference how will we know where to cast? Unless you stay close to the shore and have a reference to go by you can't know which way your target is. Hence the Heading sensor. What the map does is simply preference. Without the heading sensor then I would use course up for the reasons you state. It does not however give you a good idea where your target is unless you are moving faster than casting speed. Bob

10. Member
    So if im understanding this conversation correctly, set unit course up and add a heading sensor for pin point accuracy when moving on trolling motor?

Quote Originally Posted by scotty34 View Post
    So if im understanding this conversation correctly, set unit course up and add a heading sensor for pin point accuracy when moving on trolling motor?
    With the AS GPS HS antenna, use the Head Up setting. You do not have course when traveling less than .6 mph.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    With the AS GPS HS antenna, use the Head Up setting. You do not have course when traveling less than .6 mph.

Thanks Wayne

North Up on lakes I already know. Drives my fishing partner nuts because he can't figure out what he's seeing and why the boat is pointing backwards. In NU the chart doesn't seem to jump as much especially at very low speeds or on the trolling motor.

Heading Up if I'm somewhere I'm not familiar with. After a trip or two it's back to North Up.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12