Thread: Bent prop shaft

Bent prop shaft

Serial number 1B757176 2010 250 pro xs

Bent my prop shaft this weekend. Got it pulled out and see it has a part # 888530. I was told today it is no longer available. What options do I have now.

I also learned that this may be a verado lower unit. I been thinking this whole time i had a torquemaster.

No matter the case your Ins company should get you right...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

I'm going to venture its been superseded with the current part number.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    I'm going to venture its been superseded with the current part number.
    well that is what i a m thinking as well. just want to make sure. looks like the new number may be 8M0069774 according to what i see on the parts diagrams

5. Member
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A replacement IS available, but I would not recommend this as a DIY Project. Per SB 2013-14, it requires an updated propshaft, thrust washer (internal), and one (or more) of 16 different shims to properly reassemble.

Hope this helps!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    thanks for the help. i took the prop shaft to my uncle. he put it on his lathe and dial and it come out to be .006 out. i think i ready somewhere about anything under .008 is in tolerance. going to put it back in and keep on running.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    .006" is within tolerance, but it IS bent, and can potentially reduce the lifespan of seals, bearings, etc.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MD 20i View Post
    thanks for the help. i took the prop shaft to my uncle. he put it on his lathe and dial and it come out to be .006 out. i think i ready somewhere about anything under .008 is in tolerance. going to put it back in and keep on running.
    Not a good idea.....Replace the shaft.

10. Member
    Bent mine removed and it was bent .027 . Took shaft to work put it on a straighting press tostraighted within .0015 worked in a forging and heat treat shop stress relieved after straighting saved a lot $
    2005 COUGAR FTD 225 OPTI

11. Member
    well i am kinda of a perfectionist. so i have called around to about 100 places it seems and found New old stock shaft. going to go ahead and order new bearings, seals and stuff. you said it best .006 is within tolerance, but the fact is, the shaft is bent.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to order all of the shimming tools, backlash flag, pinion height tool, long feeler gauges, dial indicator kit, preloading tools, both spanner wrenches, seal mandrel, driveshaft bearing puller and installing mandrel, rolling-torque wrench (lbs/in with dial indicator) and a Factory Service Manual.

13. Member
    i have every tool, manual and what not there is. the hidden key piece is my neighbor is a recently retired Mercury Master Tech. I feel sure he knows what he is doing!

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's awesome for you.