Ranger Trail TDE Spindle Wear Sleeve Replacement

Post to focus on annual R+R of hub and spindle assembly. Trailer is a 06 single axle Ranger Trailer original to the owner. Water intrusion observed this fall with discolored Lucas in Vortex cap.
    Disassembly is pretty straight forward remove tire and follow TDE owners manual instructions.
    Rear seal compromised and wear sleeve face separated and floating free.

Milky blue Lucas grease in the cap =water intrusion.

Bad wear sleeve minus the face left in the hub.

Remove old sleeve with a cold chisel. Be carful not to damage the spindle on the bearing surface. Small chisel marks on the sleeve area will not compromise the spindle. Old sleeve and face removed.

Use the old sleeve as a template to mark the hole for the grease channel. Drill a slightly larger hole than the spindle.

Install the new sleeve. I used a hardwood block and hammer to gently tap into place. Make sure you align the sleeve so the holes will align when seated. The fit is tight and can’t be turned after seated.

Light coating of Lucas on the clean spindle and reassemble. I rebuilt a hub with new bearings hand packed with Lucas. New rear seal and cleaned all other parts. Fill the hub center with Lucas leaving room for the spindle. Reassemble using TDE owners manual instructions. Filed the wear ridges off the pads and finely sanded the rotor. Calibers and pads reinstalled with lock Tite on the hex slider bolts.

Keep the wheel rims clean on the inside. This helps to see a seal leak early on. Grease is easy to spot on a clean rim.
    Have a great 2019 guys!
    Wayne

Nice job. This is a good candidate to pin for the Maintenance Section.

2015 Ranger Z119c / 2015 Merc 225 Pro X​S

4. Member
    I have Vortex hubs and your maintenance instructions are outstanding. Thanks!

5. Banned
    Looks like the inner brg. was spinning and wore the corner off the wear sleeve.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    Looks like the inner brg. was spinning and wore the corner off the wear sleeve.
    Was wondering about that. Your thoughts on the cause? Spindle nut to tight or lose?

7. Member
    rocket man thanks for the torque spec!

8. Member
    Trying to install a new wear sleeve today and I am looking for any advice I can get. Got the old one off with some persuasion. But the new one wants no part of going on. I have heated it a bit and it still wont get started. Anybody have experience with this?

9. Member
    Squib, take a small piece of pvc pipe, make sure it is square on the end, lightly tap the sleeve on.

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    If you send a private message to WJColdwater [the OP], he is usually quick to respond and more than willing to share his experience. Just in case he doesn’t click into the Ranger forum next time he visits BBC, the PM notification will alert him to your question. Wayne is a good guy for sure.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

11. Member
    Thanks all. I stacked three old bearings against the sleeve then use a square-cut piece of PVC that fit barely over the spindle. Put a block of wood on the end and tapped it right on. (Well, more than a tap but it all went back together fine.) Thanks for the help.

New bearings, races, wear sleeves and seals. Now just going through the slow process of squirting in hub oil.