Projector for a tv

Does anyone have any experience using a projector as a tv? My wife and I are expecting a new little one in May and I’m moving the office to my basement. One thing I would like to do is either put up a tv or do a projector but I have no idea where to start on the projector. It won’t be used 24/7 but I didn’t know if it’s cost effective vs just purchasing a tv. Tvs seem to be getting cheaper but I want a big screen for the basement room.

Projectors have come down in price and offer great quality for the price now. I just put an Epson 1080P projector w/ 120” screen in my theater room and won’t ever go back to a TV anywhere it’s feasible to have a projector. Bright, Great Picture quality. Use it for everything from cable TV, movies, video games etc. so much better and cost effective than a semi-big TV. Do it and you won’t regret it.

3. Member
    The problem that I had with a projector in the basement is that if its mounted on the ceiling it will shake when someone is walking above. Other than that it was awsome. I had mine set up at 9' wide 7' tall

The only thing you need to worry about is light control. Some projectors are light cannons and aren't as affected by light, and if you get the right screen gain you can get away with some light. Other than that it's a great idea. The huge screen is awesome.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    What’s the life expectancy out of a projector? How long do the bulbs last and is there any big maintenance to them?

Built a theater room with a HD projector. Painted the room black and put black curtains in the room for light control. The picture is amazing. The new projectors do an awesome job. As stated by another, light control is the biggest issue. Thats why we blacked out the room. Got a great surround system in there with two subwoofers and great seating. Its really quite an experience that I cant get on my LCD TV in the living room. I say go for it
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

Quote Originally Posted by Deeredude64 View Post
    What’s the life expectancy out of a projector? How long do the bulbs last and is there any big maintenance to them?
    We have over a thousand hours on the bulb and no issues so far. I bought a few extras at $40 a pop
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

8. Member
    my basement has just one small window in the room we are doing this in so light control won’t be to much of an issue.