Ultrex 45" or 52"?

I'm about to buy a new ultrex and I'm running a 45" fortrex now. Is it worth going up to a 52" shaft? What's the pros anod cons? I'm putting this on a 2014 cougar FTD.
    thanks for any good info.
    2014 Bass Cat Cougar FTD/250 Pro XS

2. Member
    I have a 99 Cougar and got a 45".
    I started to go with the 52 and am glad I didn't.
    45" is perfect for my boat. It is not lowered all the way and prop has not came out of water in normal waves.
    I think with 52"s some of the guys can not open the rod box when TM is stowed.

3. Bobby8
    If you're gonna be fishing big open water go with the 52. My Pll had the 52 and my Caracal has the 45. I miss havin the 52.

I had a 52 on a puma and now a 52 on the Jag. If you fish any open water get the 52.

5. Banned
    52" for sure.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyiworkmore View Post
    I'm about to buy a new ultrex and I'm running a 45" fortrex now. Is it worth going up to a 52" shaft? What's the pros anod cons? I'm putting this on a 2014 cougar FTD.
    Just some information that I have posted before. The 45" shaft is actually 48" long with a 3" depth adjustment collar to give you a usable 45", but still requiring the 48" for stowing. The 52" is an actual 52" shaft, with the 3" depth collar it gives a 49" usable length, but still requires the 52" for stowing. As you can see, in both stow and deploy, you're looking at a 4" difference in the motors. As others have said, I would suggest 52" if you fish more open water with waves, if you're mainly a calmer water fisherman go with the 45". Do not get a shaft based one what you "might" do sometimes. If I can help, give me a call. I ship across the Lower United States.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

one thing to consider is with the Ultrex...if the wind is blowing a certain way that you need to point the bow into the wind and fish off of the back of the boat this will raise the bow up significantly making the TM prop porpoise more easily...one of the biggest reasons I want an Ultrex is for off shore fishing on days where I could fish off the back and let the TM work
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

8. Member
    I put a 52" on my Cougar and am really glad I did. When it is stowed, the rod locker still opens approx. 80% which is plenty.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyiworkmore View Post
    If you have a cover for your Cougar, make sure that it will fit over the T/M.

As stated above,get what you need,if you fish a lot of waves 52,calm 45. Only issue would be the cover,if you have a fortrex on there now probably won't be bad fit,if a motorguide,no way will the cover fit. The rod box opens plenty wide to do what you need,not an issue.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

11. Member
    I took a 45 fortrex off and put a 52 ultrex on. I have a couple pics I cant figure out how to post but I had to re drill for ultrex so I could get any rods at all on the deck. Now the ultrex hangs out the side a bit more so ill have to get my cover re done and watch my docking but itll be worth it. ….17' puma