Trailer Registration

I am hoping yall can help. I just bought a boat and trailer from Tennessee. I live in Texas. We title everything and Tennessee doesn't title anything. I did get the boat and motor settled and titles are on the way. But our DMV is wearing me out on the trailer and we just cant seem to get the right paperwork. Does Tennessee register trailers and do you have license plates? If so, Is it through the wildlife and fisheries or the DMV? Any help would be appreciated. I am running without plates on my trailer for the last 6 weeks.

2. Member
    I'm from Georgia, but TN does not have tags on trailers. I think TN does what it does with the Manufacturer Statement of Origin on boat trailers. Hopefully a true local can chime in.

3. Member
    We are not required to title boat trailers in Tennessee. However, you can register them and get a plate for them if you want. If someone wanted to register a boat trailer they would do so through the county clerk's office and not through the TWRA (wildlife). You could call one of the county clerk offices in Tennessee and see if they can help. I know when I go to the counter with questions in my county, Rutherford, they are always helpful with complicated question. (615)-898-78 zero zero

I have never had to deal with this issue before but I know others here have. Hopefully, they will be able to give you better direction.

4. Member
    I tried to buy a Tenn. trailer and bring it to Texas. I wound up cancelling the transaction. But, in that case, the trailer was made without a VIN.

Most trailers in TN are Not registered. You'll have to get to a senior rep. in Texas to get through the issue.

5. Member
    There is no title on trailers in TN. There should be a vin number on the trailer you bought. With that and a bill of sale I would think you should be able to apply for a title in your state.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbasskicker View Post
    There is no title on trailers in TN. There should be a vin number on the trailer you bought. With that and a bill of sale I would think you should be able to apply for a title in your state.
    you can have a trailer title and plates if you wish. I did with my last Boat trailer.
    Basscat!

7. Member
    Somehow, I tried our DMV again and got an employee who wanted to help and I got my Christmas miracle!!!!

8. Member
    Glad to hear it worked out for you.