Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying a bass boat certificate?

What is the process like to buy a bass boat certificate? Can you get a Loan, and if so what kind of loan would be needed? The reason I ask, I came across someone selling one today for a ranger z518l that he’s selling for only 38,000 which is over $10,000 off the boat price. It’s extremely tempting but there are way to many unknowns for me so I’d love some more info on the overall process for if and when I come across one at a better time for me to buy a boat.

Ask how he got it? Then call Ranger. There has to be a paper trail somewhere.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by larryhyco View Post
    Ask how he got it? Then call Ranger. There has to be a paper trail somewhere.
    He won it at the St. John’s BFL regional this year

Look real good into it. I almost bought a Legend certificate a few years ago and by the time I added what was needed to the base model of the boat offered, it really wasn’t that much of a savings. Still good but not great.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaryLab View Post
    Look real good into it. I almost bought a Legend certificate a few years ago and by the time I added what was needed to the base model of the boat offered, it really wasn’t that much of a savings. Still good but not great.
    Well the only things I would upgrade is the motor to a proxs which is less then a $1000 and possibly trolling motor to an ultrex. The standard package overall is really plenty for me.

6. Member
    Bank probably won't give you a loan until the boat is made or has a serial number on it. They may pre approve the money and the cert owner will have to wait until you get the boat before the bank will cut the check. That's been my experience anyway.

7. Member
    Sometimes the certificate is for the boat and motor, no trailer. Or it could be boat and trailer, no motor. Read the fine print and details of what is included in the certificate, so it's a fair deal.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apenland01 View Post
    Sometimes the certificate is for the boat and motor, no trailer. Or it could be boat and trailer, no motor. Read the fine print and details of what is included in the certificate, so it's a fair deal.
    Boat, motor, trailer, and all standard features included. It’s a $48,000 package

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxwes View Post
    Boat, motor, trailer, and all standard features included. It’s a $48,000 package
    Sounds like you've made up your mind. Enjoy your boat.

10. Member
    Call a lender and ask.
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

11. Member
    Call a dealer. They will tell you what the cert. is worth on a real purchase. They will help you if it means they sell a boat. I asked Jet-A about it years ago and they were very up front and helpful.

12. Banned
    if it's the boat you want, call Ranger, verify authenticity, and GRAB IT!!!!

13. Member
    Most certificate boats are run through the dealers. The customer is usually responsible for freight, dealer prep, extra options, etc. The dealer can also handle the financing and warranty's.

14. Member
    I bought a Ranger certificate last year from a guy who won an FLW event. Saved about $9,000. Was very happy with my purchase.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennorton View Post
    I bought a Ranger certificate last year from a guy who won an FLW event. Saved about $9,000. Was very happy with my purchase.
    Nice, what exactly was the process. Did you have cash for the certificate up front, or go thru a loan process?

16. Member
    I almost bought a certificate a couple years ago. I called the Ranger dealer in the same town as the guy selling it and he verified it was legit. Problem was, it was for the boat and trailer, shipped to the dealer or any dealer and the motor was separate in a crate from Mercury. The one entry level fish finder was in the box in the certificate winners possession. It came with no trolling matter, batteries, or options of any sort. I was responsible for rigging and prep, and the dealer flat out told me he WOULD make money on the deal so rigging and prep would be "more than normal charge" since he wasn't making anything for his time. The ironic part was that dealer was the one who sponsored the tournament trail and angler who won the certificate! Ended up being more of a headache and barely cheaper than the same boat the way I wanted it I bought a month later. Your experience may vary...
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

17. Member
    Yes please tell, hopefully your experience was better then the other one above me

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by munchie View Post
    Nice, what exactly was the process. Did you have cash for the certificate up front, or go thru a loan process?
    Meant to quote this

19. Member
    After taking out a personal loan from a bank, I had cash for the certificate up front. Bought through a friend of a co-worker. A little sketchy at first, but checked with a lady at Ranger who confirmed everything and all I had to send her was a picture of the certificate. Also looked up the guy selling the certificate and confirmed he won the tournament. Did have to turn in the certificate to the dealer when I made the purchase.... Boat came fully loaded (unlike the above experience), although I did make several upgrades and paid for these with the dealer....Did the math several times and several ways over the course of the process and came out several thousand dollars on top no matter how I spun it. I had been saving for a Bass Tracker for about five years and ended up with a nice fiberglass Ranger, only spending a little more than I had originally intended....I think it's a great way to buy a boat!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennorton View Post
    After taking out a personal loan from a bank, I had cash for the certificate up front. Bought through a friend of a co-worker. A little sketchy at first, but checked with a lady at Ranger who confirmed everything and all I had to send her was a picture of the certificate. Also looked up the guy selling the certificate and confirmed he won the tournament. Did have to turn in the certificate to the dealer when I made the purchase.... Boat came fully loaded (unlike the above experience), although I did make several upgrades and paid for these with the dealer....Did the math several times and several ways over the course of the process and came out several thousand dollars on top no matter how I spun it. I had been saving for a Bass Tracker for about five years and ended up with a nice fiberglass Ranger, only spending a little more than I had originally intended....I think it's a great way to buy a boat!
    That's awesome. I was hoping my experience would be like yours but I guess the lesson for the OP is to carefully do your homework before proceeding as each one of these is a little different. Can be an awesome deal for sure
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast