Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Question Bass Club Non-Points Fun Tournaments: Ideas?

Our club has 5 points tournaments per season, and we want to add a 6th non-points tourney.
    We're considering ideas to make it different and fun. We're considering things like:

Changing the time (currently 07:00 to 2:00pm) to maybe 9-5, with a barbecue afterward.
    Perhaps splitting the day up, having a lunch break barbecue, then go out for another 2-3 hours.
    Allowing more people in the boat (currently 2 person teams), so a team could bring kids along, etc.

Do your clubs do anything special throughout the season, or does anyone have ideas to add?

2. Member
    Night team tournament with a shore side breakfast after weigh-in.

Or you could do an MLF style.

3. Banned
    You mean like fishing for fun? Pppffftttttt!!

4. Member
    MLF style... They also have a lunch break I believe so could combine a couple different ideas.

5. Member
    MLF style with the normal breaks in between. Salt City Bass is a club out this way and they have non points MLF tournaments before the season opens and at the end of the season they have a cook out. Everyone brings a dish to share and you have a good shore lunch right there, it cuts down on the stress. It’s also good for those guys who often keep to themselves or are shy (me x1000) open up a bit more and get to know the club members. I’m not part of salt city but the president is part of my club
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Throw $20 into a pot and do a two fish tournament. Half goes to lightest legal fish and half to heaviest fish. Call it a Lunkerdink tournament. Follow it up by grilling lunch at the ramp.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 12-10-2018 at 09:14 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

We have a fish off at the end of the year. Any money left in the club account is paid out to everyone that catches fish. It is a pay by the pound. The amount per pound depends on the amount of fish caught. Also every meeting thru out the year we sell raffle tickets for a $1 each. At the end of the meeting we draw tickets and have baits to pick from until the baits are gone. That money goes to the fish off also. The payout this year was $14 a pound. I have seen it as high as $28.

8. Member
    Pick a lake were you can do a MagaBucks style event.

Afterwards grill out and play Cornhole/Bags by pitching jigs into the Cornhole boards.

9. Member
    I saw a local club here have a smallest stringer of 5 contest once.
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Yamaha 150 SHO w/ Tempest 23P
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Helix 10MDI & 12MSI G2N at console
    Helix 10 M+DI G4N w/ M360 and Garmin 93 w/ LiveScope at bow
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons

10. Banned
    I’ve always wanted to fish a tournament where everyone had to throw the exact same bait, then you can find out who’s technique is better or more versatile than the others.

11. Banned
    Ours did a pick a lake in the dog days of summer. Every team had to leave from the same parking lot on Friday afternoon at the same time. Go wherever you want (as long as it's public for everyone) as long as you back to the meeting place by 4 on Sunday where a cookout was held. It was a paper tournament. Each team also wrote where they where going and sealed it in an envelope and gave it to the tournament director for safety reasons.

I'd suggest a real-life fishing experience tournament.

Your wife and kids are required to be in the boat with you, and are instructed to interfere and constantly bombard you with questions, demands, and complaints.

If anyone actually gets their boat launched, you'll appreciate the points events so much more.

Team tournament. But you don’t know who you’re partner is until after the tournament. You each keep five and weigh in and after weigh the boaters draw out of a hat their non boater weigh in partner. Highest combined weight wins.
    We did this once. Pretty fun.

All good ideas above. The club I used to belong to had a family cookout after one of the summer events. The club bought steaks using fund raiser money and the event was always well attended and lots of fun.

I have participated in a Megabucks format event and it is a ton of fun.

An old tournament partner belongs to a club where they do an all night tournament in the summer. It's always a blast.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

15. Member
    Poker tournament , every body gets 5 card so start 1 extra card per fish brought to the scales ties are broken by the smallest fish

In Hawaii, yes Bass. We did a one lure tourny.....yes only one, no others.......no back up. picture of guys swimming for lures......

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    In Hawaii, yes Bass. We did a one lure tourny.....yes only one, no others.......no back up. picture of guys swimming for lures......

Were some more successful than others or was it about even?

18. Member
    I wouldn't suggest an mlf style tournament, from what I have read on here you only catch dinks in those

19. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    live bait only.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I’ve always wanted to fish a tournament where everyone had to throw the exact same bait, then you can find out who’s technique is better or more versatile than the others.
    Our old club used to do this. We had one tournament a year where we met at a central location and everyone wrote down a lake and type of lure to fish that day. Someone would draw out of the hat and head to the chosen lake after everybody stopped for breakfast on the way. It was a long day but I always enjoyed them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast