Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

21'5" Boat + trailer in 21'4" garage

I am trying to figure out if a boat that measures 21'5" from the prop (with the motor down) to the tongue of the trailer, will fit in my garage that measures 21'4" from the wall to the door sensor. The tongue is placed on the 'V' of the trailer as pictured below so I don't think a swing tongue is an option. Its a two car garage with 16' door and my wife's car absolutely has to fit as well.

Specifically I am wondering how much I could shrink the total length by turning the motor and/or moving the boat up on the trailer (safely, I drive a Colorado).

The boat is a Ranger R70 for reference.

The boat is a 2 hour drive away or I would just try to see if it will fit.

trailer tongue.jpg
    Last edited by Dirtyeggroll; 12-10-2018 at 04:35 PM.

2. Member
    There is one for sure way to find out good luck

3. Member
    Try it and find out. You can move the boat forward or figure out where the prop is going to hit the wall and remove the drywall if there is any. You could also maybe unbolt the hitch part itself, just the very end that connects to the truck, if that's possible. You may be able to just remove 1 and swivel it down towards the ground. It would be a pain, but it's an option. You might be able to back it in and swivel the tongue away from the wires car enough to make it fit also. 1" shouldn't be hard to gain, but it main be a pain to gain it.

4. Member
    you will not be satisfied
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

5. Banned
    I have a ranger z118 and it fits in my 22' deep garbage however, it has to go on an angle motor trimmed down tongue folded.

6. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    If it's turned sideways a little should barely fit.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

7. Member
    Do you have any room on the outside of the garage immediately behind the boat. If so, frame in a “dog house” to extend a portion of the back wall of the garage to get the needed room. Do-able, if you can get around the looks of it.

8. Member
    Is the tongue in the line of the sensor? If it is above that sensor beam you should have that extra inch. If not you will gain that inch quickly with pushing it sideways and not really make it wider in the garage

Good luck
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

9. Member
    If that boat has an E-Tec G2 on it, no friggin way.

10. Member
    It has a 125 Mariner

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    google the term "garage bump out" and look at the imagies...this is the technical name for what is described in reply #7

There use to be a picture floating around here of a guy whos back of the garage contained his laundry room. He could not build a bump out so he improvised. He cut a hole in the drywall and moved his dryer and washer so they set 3-4 ft away from each other. He boxed it in a re drywalled it. In the laundry room it looked like a natural table/shelf/storage area in between the washer and dryer. Looking at if from the inside of the garage his motor went back into a hole in the wall...if there is a will there's a way
    Last edited by JR19; 12-10-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Trim motor down,turn motor all the way to one side. Lower the front of the trailer all the way down. If your only looking for an inch it should do it.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

13. Member
    Ask Pythagoras, your grade school math teacher will be proud!

Edit: Disregard...just read the car has to fit as well.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    If it's turned sideways a little should barely fit.
    Bingo...

15. Member
    Is the tongue in the line of the sensor? If it is above that sensor beam you should have that extra inch. If not you will gain that inch quickly with pushing it sideways and not really make it wider in the garage

Good luck
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

16. Member
    Here is what I did... Mind you I had 20'-10" to the inside of the door and needed 21'-4".

I drilled rebar into the existing slab and poured a small slab extension.

Got out the sawzall and cut a big hole.

Framed it using a 2x12 vertically at each jamb and then built a 2x4 wall between the 2x12s. I ran a 2x12 header that is just barely visible across the span in the above photo. I added on some OSB, and then had my new siding installed.

The result, a little space behind the prop and a couple inches in front of the tongue.

If you don't have space for a bump-out, bummer. That is how I ended up with my 681VS. The guy that called before me couldn't get it in his garage and I was next in line, cash in hand. If there is a will, there is a way. I had it in the garage at a slight angle for a few weeks before I cut the back of the garage out to get it in there straight.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tundah View Post
    Ask Pythagoras, your grade school math teacher will be proud!

Edit: Disregard...just read the car has to fit as well.
    If a boat were a simple straight line this indeed would be quite simple.

In fact, even though the boat is not a straight line, its still quite simple. I don't have all of the dimensions of the boat though. I have actually worked at estimating the dimensions and found that it SHOULD fit.

I also sketched up a quick floor plan of my garage to scale. Now if I could only find an aerial view of an R70 looking straight down on it, so I could size it to scale and play around with how it fits in the garage.

18. Member
    I easily gain an inch from just turning the motor all the way to one side or the other
    Andy

2004 Pro Craft 192 SuperPro

19. Member
    https://www.toolsid.com/auto-dolly/

Get some of these. (I'd just recommend a cheaper version)
    It will allow you to back it in...then move the boat by hand to place it at an angle.
    If you have already measured the boat and the garage and know that your measurements are right on....you can probably fit it by just turning the motor, or even just taking the prop off if you had to.

These trailer jacks will allow you to move it by hand and be way less pain.

20. Member
    You should be able to make it fit for winter time storage. It would be a hassle in the summer when fishing a lot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast