Remington 870 Wingmaster?

Are the new ones as good as the old ones?Thinking of getting one,or the Browning BPS

2. Member
    Probably not as good as the old ones but still miles ahead of the cheaper offerings. One of the products from big green I would buy.

3. Banned
    I have both. The 870 is an easier clean.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    I have both. The 870 is an easier clean.
    Why would you do that...they shoot better when they grind.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

5. Member
    Browning BPS all day long.

The wingmaster is a nice shotgun, don't get me wrong. But at $100 less expensive, I'll take The BPS every time. I prefer the bottom eject, and I like how easy it is to empty the magazine tube on the BPS with a push of a button instead of racking the pump each time to eject the mag. tube one at a time. The BPS is built like a tank. The only other pump I think compares in build quality are the NEW Ithaca 37's, the ones made in Sandusky Ohio, but they cost a few hundred more than a BPS.

6. Member
    Do they still make the wingmaster? I have my dads 12 and 20 gauge he had when he was a kid.
    2015 189 trx

7. Member
    The 870 wing master is still in production, probably the best selling pump of all time. Good guns indeed, I just prefer the Browning pump.

Looked at a couple used Wingmasters,and a BPS today.Used prices are through the roof,ended up buying a new Beretta 300 Outlander.First Beretta I've owed,always had Remingtons,and Brownings.

9. Member
    Some may not know that there are several different grades of the 870, if you run across a TB or TC model these are the trap grade guns with high grade wood and hand fitted parts, much different from the common box store 870.

10. Member
    The Browning BPS Field grade pump can be had brand new for $579 and right now you get a $75 rebate, so that about $504 new. Congrats on the Beretta, I've never owned one but Beretta shotguns are know to be top of the line. Beretta actually owns Benelli and a couple other top tier brands.

11. Member
    Owned both and prefer the BPS.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

12. Member
    Newer Remington bluing process is deplorable. They'll rstart rusting in a eartbeat. I'm an 1100 guy myself, but have a couple older 870's. Friend bought a new V3 for ducks and it startied showing rust within the first day in the blind. Another had an 1100 sporting, nice expensive 1100, and it rusted sitting in his safe, oiled up. Different processes I guess. I'd still like to get a V3 in camo though.
    1995 Stratos 275 Pro XL
    1995 150 Fastrike
    MG Xi5

13. Member
    Having both for many years I would suggest the BPS over the Wingmaster. The Browning BPS has the smoothest action of any pump i have ever picked up.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

14. Member
    There is a reason they have sold over 12 million 870's .
    i have a 20 gauge I got in 1973 ,it still shoots great ,I just bought a new 12 gauge it shoots great but I had to buff off the coating after the first day in the field. And blued it . The new coating is poor to say the least ,

15. Member
    Every time I hit a gun store I always look at the used 870's, the older Wingmaster's seemed to have better wood. I keep looking for one of those really nice variants with fantastic wood and nice engraving, one day I'll find one and snag it.

Currently I have a 20 gauge express that is fairly new, Dad bought it for one of my niece's to use deer hunting probably 10 or 12 years ago, express variant and pretty plain.

Also have a TC Trap version that I bought new back in 1989 in the safe, while it has reached retired status with me I'll probably give it to one of my boys as their first trap gun soon. Had a smith work the forcing cone and had the barrel ported, hits targets hard leaving dust clouds and is actually pretty light on recoil.

I own two very old 870's one has been my PA Slug gun since last use of rifle in my area was '76, (guns are MUCH older than that) first had smooth, then rifled slug scoped barrel...flawless, the other just sits in gun case, that one has the worthless cuts compensator, (guessing early 60's?) on it... no problem, my dad invested $100 for an 870, Marlin 22 and Parker Trojan 16 DB in the early 70's
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

17. Banned
    Back when I used to shoot a ton of skeet, there was a guy that shot at the range that had an 870 in 12,20,28, and .410. They were so smooth that if you pointed the muzzle up and hit the release, the doggone things would just slide open. Great shotguns, but don't know about the newer ones.

18. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Look for the Special Purpose or police models. They have better internal parts.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."