Winterizing Your RV

New to owning a RV, I have a Heartland 2750RL and my question is how important is it to winterize it. Do you take a chance or do it regardless? Thanks for any feed back.

2. Member
    I forgot one winter and ended up busting the pipes on my sink drains when it froze.
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Yamaha 150 SHO w/ Tempest 23P
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Helix 10MDI & 12MSI G2N at console
    Helix 10 M+DI G4N w/ M360 and Garmin 93 w/ LiveScope at bow
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    It depends on how much you enjoy replacing parts like water heaters, pipes, valves, faucets and drains.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    It depends on how much you enjoy replacing parts like water heaters, pipes, valves, faucets and drains.
    Thanks for the heads up.

5. Member
    Probably not necessary in Greenville NC. How often does it go below 32?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    Mine froze and busted pipes last year in Galveston, TX.
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Yamaha 150 SHO w/ Tempest 23P
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Helix 10MDI & 12MSI G2N at console
    Helix 10 M+DI G4N w/ M360 and Garmin 93 w/ LiveScope at bow
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Average low in January is 32.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    Yeah people would say the same thing about central Arkansas but they WILL freeze here too, ask me how I know. Most of the campers these days have all the valves to bypass the water heater and the diverter valves to use your water pump to siphon the antifreeze out of the jug and into the lines. It takes me about 5 mins to winterize mine once the water heater is drained. Drain the water heater, turn valves to bypass water heater, remove the bottom drawer under my sink, turn two valves, drop hose in jug of antifreeze, open each faucet and let run until antifreeze is running out starting with faucet furthest from pump, including toilet, turn diverter valves back, reinstall drawer under sink and done. I leave the panel to the water heater access off and the water heater bypassed until I flush the pipes when I get ready to use it again. You don't want antifreeze in the water heater.

I forgot to winterize my last camper I had one year and had to replumb most all of it. Oh boy that was fun I'll never do that again, especially since the one I have now has all the valves to make is super easy. I really don't want to have to deal with a busted pipe on it. It has the spray foam all under it and I'd have to cut and dig that stuff out to get to the plumbing. Unless I lived in a climate that basically never went below freezing I would winterize. It's cheap insurance, about $5 worth of antifreeze and a few minutes time.

9. Member
    Google winterizing Heartland travel trailer to see what all is involved. Youtube videos are your friend for items such as this. As said above......is better to be safe than sorry.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ176VLO View Post
    New to owning a RV, I have a Heartland 2750RL and my question is how important is it to winterize it. Do you take a chance or do it regardless? Thanks for any feed back.
    one of the most important things you need to do if it’s going to be below freezing for very long.
    My .02

BB1

11. Member
    Don't forget your outside shower faucet and city water connection. Pump a little through the city water valve and drain your low point drains. Pour about a pint in toilet and sinks when finished as an added protection.

12. Member
    Do it.
    2016 Phoenix 819 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Kenny

13. Member
    I'm taking it to local dealer Friday morning. I watched doing it myself but rather have them do it and check out a few other items.

14. Banned
    It is imperative that you winterize a camper in North Carolina.

I used to have a travel trailer with a simple water system, and it was a breeze to winterize. I had a hot water tank bypass with 2 valves to cut off.

My new fifth wheel trailer has a much more complicated water system, and I just completely drain all my water lines and hot water heater and leave all faucets open. I do put RV antifreeze in the water traps, however. I recognize there may be a little water left in the PEX lines behind the water pump, however I've had no leaks anywhere. Main thing is keeping the electricity off on the hot water heater until I fill the tank up. Right now, I can drain the whole system in maybe 15 minutes. We'll use the trailer 2-3 times during the winter.