Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    No roids no hgh - who knows these days back in the 90's.... Guy was 40 and hitting 25 jacks and carrying a .312 average.... What helped Baines was the fact he had a 22 yr career in the bigs, not alot of guys have had that kind of success over that long a period of time. From 82-87 he was one of the better players in the league. But I would expect that from a guy who got elected to the hall, congrats to him, who am I to judge his talent.

2. Member
    Murphy was awesome, but his career wound down by the time he was 32 years old, think that hurt him. But when he was in his prime in the 20's he was as good as it got in baseball. His 30's are what too many that voted remember.

3. Member
    good for him

4. Member
    Magriff should be in !
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

5. Member
    He was a good player with a long career. Dwight Evans put up similar numbers.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmann7 View Post
    He was a good player with a long career. Dwight Evans put up similar numbers.
    Dwight Evans was a much better player. He was an elite defender in RF with numerous Gold Gloves. He also led the league in OPS a couple of times and HRs at least once.

7. Member
    Agreed,a Hall of Good Player. Kinda surprised Lee Smith got in but I was a fan of his.
    Red Sox in 6!

He isn't a hof player. However I think Lee Smith should've been voted in years ago.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

As a Maryland guy and an Orioles fan I am glad to see it but I never really thought of him as a HOF guy. Good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by ardenbass View Post
    Dwight Evans was a much better player. He was an elite defender in RF with numerous Gold Gloves. He also led the league in OPS a couple of times and HRs at least once.
    I agree 100%, but I am not sure Dewey will is a HOF guy, either. I will throw another name out there...Jim Rice.

Quote Originally Posted by lightningmusky View Post
    I would say HOF player. Baines was the White Sox for a number of years. Consistently good, didn’t roid or HGH. He always seemed to be a clutch hitter, not one of those solo hr hitters when it was 12-1.

I agree there are a number of other guys who should be in. Lou Whitaker, Edgar Martinez, Dale Murphy. These guys were the faces of their teams.

If you look at just stats Cal Ripken Jr , Alan Trammell and many more they look average and Ozzie Smith looks mediocre with a career .262 batting average.
    I agree with all of this. All those guys were easily as good as Baines.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

And I always thought Jack Morris was great too.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
    I agree 100%, but I am not sure Dewey will is a HOF guy, either. I will throw another name out there...Jim Rice.
    Rice was so dominant for several years and he does have an MVP. A lot of advanced metric guys think Evans was better and I think his WAR is better than Rice. But I am not a proponent of WAR being the only # that matters. Go Sox!

14. Member
    If Baines got 3000 hits would he be HOF? Does the fact he lost at bats during 2 strike seasons play a factor. I would think he would have got to 3000.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan9 View Post
    No roids no hgh - who knows these days back in the 90's.... Guy was 40 and hitting 25 jacks and carrying a .312 average.... What helped Baines was the fact he had a 22 yr career in the bigs, not alot of guys have had that kind of success over that long a period of time. From 82-87 he was one of the better players in the league. But I would expect that from a guy who got elected to the hall, congrats to him, who am I to judge his talent.
    Bingo, longevity is key. It's really hard to be productive for that long.

16. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    I would much rather vote for the older guys who played ball in the heat of the daylight with raw talent and not all the technology mumbo jumbo and secret protein juice.I also think the new mini ball parks help their numbers with the current ballplayers.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basscaster View Post
    I would much rather vote for the older guys who played ball in the heat of the daylight with raw talent and not all the technology mumbo jumbo and secret protein juice.I also think the new mini ball parks help their numbers with the current ballplayers.
    There are a whole bunch of older ball players more deserving of being in the HOF. Lou Whitaker, Ted Simmons, Bobby Grich, Orel Hershiser, Bret Saberhagen, Gil Hodges, are several who come to mind. Nothing against Harold Baines. He appears to be a good guy and was a good player. But he was never close to being the best player in the game.

18. robdy72
    Maybe this will open the door for other players like McGriff, Murphy, Hershiser Whitaker, an others.

2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

20. Banned
    Wally Pipp might as well be in as well .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast