Banned

99 Johnson 150 questions

As stated, I have a 99 Johnson 150 that is the regular and not the fast strike.

Motor runs great, starts great, etc. but I have some questions.

First is, once I get it home...every single time, it leaks fuel from the carbs and it drains into the bottom of the cowel and down the back of the lower unit. It's nothing terrible but enough that I notice it. It takes quit a few pumps on the bulb to seemingly refill the bowls when I go back out the next time.

The only hiccup I've ever had with the motor is if I'm running wot and hit a wake that upsets the boat bad, it has thrown a solid warning beep. I set the boat down, shut it off and restart it with no issue.

Otherwise the boat runs perfect. Should I get the carbs rebuilt....buy new bowls as I've heard these warp over time...or what? Thanks ahead of time!

2. Member
    The warning beep your getting is for a fuel restriction which my 2005 Johnson 150 used to do under the same circumstances.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    The warning beep your getting is for a fuel restriction which my 2005 Johnson 150 used to do under the same circumstances.
    What do you think is causing it and how do I fix that. It's only done it maybe 4 times in the 4 years I've owned it.

4. Member
    What it means is the flow of fuel is briefly interrupted and the motor senses it and initiates the alarm. It is due to the attitude of the boat, i.e. bow versus transom angles and fuel flow to the motor. When mine did it I could reduce power, trim motor down, then hammer down on the hotfoot and would be back to normal.

5. Banned
    Gotcha. It doesn't seem to hiccup at all but it just worries me not knowing what was causing it.

6. Member
    You will have to look at those bowls for leaks, if fuel leaks out of the carb throats may be needing a carb job. If the carb gaskets are black, it's time for a carb rebuild.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Do you have a system check tach or gauge? That would tell you what is going on. Another thing you can do is to remove the air box when you get home and observe which carb/carbs are leaking back. If the ramp isn't too crowded you can do it there prior to tilting up for travel and insert some of the paper shop towels into the carb throats, then check when you get home.

8. Banned
    I do have the system check tach and if I remember right is was the "check engine" light that came on.