ZX vs FX Questions

My dealer is dropping Ranger and picking up Skeeter. A few weekends ago, the Skeeter Factory Team was out to show and let folks test drive several of the boats. I was able to test drive a ZX225 and an FX 21. I have a Ranger Z519 and was really impressed with the Skeeter ride and handling, and I like the way they are constructed. Since then, I've spent a few hours crawling over them and have a few questions for folks that have been running them for a while. I'm inclined to get the ZX 225 to replace my Z519, but not afraid to move up to an FX.

Sorry for the long list, and appreciate any information provided:

How much does the bow Humminbird mount significantly interfere with trolling motor operation? On the show room floor, it's a little tight, but when I think about trying to get my foot to the pedal in rough water, I just see my foot going through the screen. Are there other options?

Will the tool holder from the FX pedal recess fit the ZX pedal recess? Can't believe there's not room for a few tools in the bow.

How does the rod storage work for you in the ZX225? Specifically, how well do the little bungee tie downs in the rod locker work? How well does one big rod opening work? I'm used to tubes, and would think that jamming everything into one big opening would cause a big tangle, unless you use rod socks.

Would like an opinion on the split lids for the main rod locker on the ZX225. Is there an advantage to that design, vs the single lid? I personally like the single lid design.

Can you really store anything of size in the starboard side storage areas? Seems like having three different compartments limits the size of things you can actually store. I usually have a bunch of trays and rain gear in that side.

Is there a way to upgrade or adjust the gas shocks for the lids? I appreciate a solid lid, but the seem to bang down pretty hard. Would like to have a softer, more deliberate close.

Thoughts on the little carpeted step to the front deck? Seems like a strange add on and not sure of how functional it is. Wold seem to me it's a trip waiting to happen.

The tool holders between the driver and passenger seat are at a pretty extreme angle. How well do they hold your tools? Seems like pliers and such would be bouncing out all the time.

The electrical system disconnect seems oddly placed. Almost impossible to see the writing because of the size of the letters and the way it's mounted. Is it possible to mount it horizontally, so I could at least see the thing while standing outside the boat?

Thanks in advance for helping me make an informed decision.

2. Member
    Hey Chuck- I sold my Ranger 198 in May and bought a new zx225 and don’t regret it one bit. All the lids on the front deck have shocks except for the glove box. All the lids on the back deck have them also except for the live wells.

The starboard side storage is awesome. I store plastics and such in the day box, baits in money bags in the middle and my rain gear, TP and extra clothes in the 3rd. The 2nd and 3rd storage areas are open to each other if that makes since, under the deck there is no partion between them.

The FX trolling motor tray trim piece will fit on the ZX, I know because I have it on mine. The tray is so shallow that it won’t hold tools in rough water, but it does fit.

The little bungees do a great job of holding the rods in the box and there is enough storage for a lot of rods. I do have mine in rod socks, since there are no tubes. So far it works great.

The tool holders work fine, you’ll need to find the right size tools to fit or they will get in the way. I like the step and use it all the time to get up to the deck.

I’m undecided about the dual center rod locker design, it’s great for getting to the rods with out having to move rods, however with this design I’m moving rods to get to the tackle in the outside lockers.

I love the ride, speed and fish ability of the boat. The live well is huge, the standard items on the ZX are expensive options on other boats. It’s not an FX, but for me it’s a great fit.
    Last edited by beaverfan; 12-10-2018 at 09:24 PM.

3. Member
    Ive got a ZX250

How much does the bow Humminbird mount significantly interfere with trolling motor operation? On the show room floor, it's a little tight, but when I think about trying to get my foot to the pedal in rough water, I just see my foot going through the screen. Are there other options? I have the built in Lowrance so not sure on this one

Will the tool holder from the FX pedal recess fit the ZX pedal recess? Can't believe there's not room for a few tools in the bow. ​Yes it will, you can order one and replace it.

How does the rod storage work for you in the ZX225? Specifically, how well do the little bungee tie downs in the rod locker work? How well does one big rod opening work? I'm used to tubes, and would think that jamming everything into one big opening would cause a big tangle, unless you use rod socks. Def use rod socks but i like it, takes some getting use to. I like that you can replace rod for rod without opening up your outer boxes and worrying about one going in the water.

Would like an opinion on the split lids for the main rod locker on the ZX225. Is there an advantage to that design, vs the single lid? I personally like the single lid design. You can split your rods up also if someone is flipping or pitching you dont have to open up but one side.

Can you really store anything of size in the starboard side storage areas? Seems like having three different compartments limits the size of things you can actually store. I usually have a bunch of trays and rain gear in that side. I made it work with dividers and tackle boxes.

Is there a way to upgrade or adjust the gas shocks for the lids? I appreciate a solid lid, but the seem to bang down pretty hard. Would like to have a softer, more deliberate close. I've got regular shocks not sure on this one but they open and close just fine.

Thoughts on the little carpeted step to the front deck? Seems like a strange add on and not sure of how functional it is. Wold seem to me it's a trip waiting to happen. Nope its awesome when your tying stuff on and kneeling and or if your coming down or stepping up to the deck.

The tool holders between the driver and passenger seat are at a pretty extreme angle. How well do they hold your tools? Seems like pliers and such would be bouncing out all the time. had 4 footers last Saturday super rough prob the roughest i have been in this boat and every tool including small scissors were still in their holders. My zx250 handles great in ruff water and I have owned-bass cats, Pro Crafts, and Tritons

The electrical system disconnect seems oddly placed. Almost impossible to see the writing because of the size of the letters and the way it's mounted. Is it possible to mount it horizontally, so I could at least see the thing while standing outside the boat? Not sure on this one, my main power switch is on the starboard side back compartment.

Hope this helps!

4. Member
    Thanks for all the feedback. Going to be a hard decision. I’ve had old Nitro, Stratos, Triton, and been in Ranger for almost 10 years. First a fish and ski, and now the 519. Not sure if it was the seat or what, but that Skeeter was the smoothest, most comfortable ride I’ve ever had. Man I hate a dilemma.

5. Scraps
    I had looked at Skeeter real hard when I bought. Was in a Ranger for 18yrs but couldn't stomach the prices of newer models. I still look at Skeeter really hard cuzz I like the layouts available and really like the SHO v. Merc. Oh, and they're easy to drive and fish real nice. Your dilemma could be easier to deal with than you think.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    I own a 2016 ZX225 and love it...and I've owned several tournament ready bass bots over the years as well. I think that the ZX is the best bang for your buck overall in the marketplace today. The FX is very pricey and is an awesome boat too...but resale on it goes way down really quick from what I have heard. You can opt for the ZX and load it up with goodies when you order it and still have almost the same for less money. I added the second power pole, a Hydraulic jack-plate, a factory cover, a second butt seat, the sonic hub, amp, and speakers, and the passenger console to mine. The boat is simply impeccable in its ride and handling...the hole shot is off the chart and will take Ranger with a 250 with ease as I have done so many times...The ZX is not as personalized as the Fx can be though. It has a much more limited color combination than the FX...I cannot comment on the deck layout as mine is different form the 2018 models...the bungees work well for me...the lids are very sturdy and are mostly pneumatic. The day box is not built very well and is of pretty thin plastic of which tends to crack...my only complaint in reference to the boat! The step has pros and cons...I do not have the step in mine and find it to be fine for me...but when I fish with a partner and both of us are on the front deck I have seen time when the step would be a plus...the tool holder presents a bit of an issue as you have presumed, but all you need to do is find tools that have the spring in them that keeps the tool open and your problems are solved. I have only owned on brand of boat that comes close or should I say equal...it was a Big-O and was hand made in Okeechobee City, Florida...hence the name Big-O. The company was bought by a past employee and he is a great guy and continues to produce a hand made custom boat...made to your order that is...If you are really picky about the layout and options of your boat...and have the time and patience to wait quite a while...this may be an option for you. The company is now located in Sebring, Fla. by the way. Its an excellent ride in rough water, can be fished in salt water or fresh water, turns on a dime, and is exceptionally fast (80 mph with a 250)...and the price is very fair considering what you get...I'd bet that the entire boat would be built by 3 sets of human hands or less. I am in no way steering you away from Skeeter! Just throwing the Big-O boat into the equation as most people have never heard of the brand...and you seem very detailed...I love my bug! ...but do miss the head turning Big-O...the very best of luck to you!

7. Member
    I bought a 2017 FX21 last year that was used with 17 hrs. Before this boat popped up I was going to buy a new ZX250 and have a good amount of time in both boats. The issue I found is that you need to keep the accessories under control if you buy a ZX, otherwise you start approaching the price of the FX LE. The ZX225 is probably the better bargain because your also saving the price difference of the 225 vs 250 whereas the ZX250 and FX21 body have 250's. I do prefer the front layout of the FX but wouldn't be a deal breaker.

8. Member
    while this is not directed at the questions Chuck posted I would love to know what the feeling are on one more question
    Colors I live in the south in GA and I have looked at skeeter boats a lot of late and I like them BUT what is with all the dark and metal flake colors .
    Here in GA we fish 52 weeks a year I was fishing Tuesday of this week in shorts almost 70 degrees and it was a great day to be on the lake but comes may it starts to get uncomfortable in anything that is not white or light with the lightest carpet
    Most of the big names in the boat world offer custom colors why not skeeter

9. Member
    Skeeter does offer custom colors, but from what I can tell it is only in the FX lineup. You might explore around the website in the "Build" section.

10. Member
    I’ll never have white or light colors again. Shows too much water stain and the darker hasn’t been any hotter feeling than the light colors on hot days IMO.

11. Member
    The FX is almost completely customized and the ZX has limited color combinations...hope that this helps...I opted for a black hull and a white top cap and also live in N.E. Georgia...and use to live in South Florida...the only downfall with the white top cap is the glare that it makes in bright sunlight...