Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Re-Carpeting Ranger 374-v

Hey guys,
    I am planning on re-carpeting my Ranger over the Christmas break.

I was hoping to gain some feedback on my shopping list and maybe receive some tips from guys who have done it before. I have browsed and bookmarked a few threads on here to help along the way.

Shopping list:

• Carpet (20 oz) - Ordering from Ranger.
    - My question here is this: I have a deck extension...how much carpet should I add to compensate for this? 3 ft?

• Carpet glue - 1 gallon of DAP Weldwood All Weather Outdoor Carpet Adhesive
    - Is 1 gallon enough glue?

• Contact cement - 1 qt DAP Weldwood Contact Cement Gel (No drip formula)

• Cheap spray gun from harbor freight - read in a thread on the omniscient BBC...this is a good way to apply the contact cement gel

• 1 gallon acetone

• spray bottle for acetone

• Scraper with razor blades to remove old glue
    - Any recommendations on what works best here?

• Trolling motor tray
    - Any recommendations on this?

That is pretty much my list, but I'm sure I'm missing some things. Can anyone confirm what else I might need?

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

2. Member
    While you are at Harbor Freight I would get one of those oscillating multi-purpose tools and a chisel type scraper tool to fit it. I would also get a stiff putty knife (about 1 1/2")and sharpen it on one side. I also used a small side grinder with a 40 grit flap wheel for the really tough stuff. Warning: It will make a dust storm. I am still prepping so have no experience yet with adhesives.

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Well Hez you’re gonna need either a drill/jigsaw combo to put in the trolling motor tray or a small wheel cutting tool...like a huge Dremel, and I have both so I’ll help if you want?

A couple 4” or so putty knives and a couple 2” would really help for pushing the carpet edges into place.

The flapper wheel stripping tool works great, just don’t play with it!

A couple stiff wire drill inserts to get rid of the easy stuff and then it’s just work!

Let me know if you want some help!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Well Hez you’re gonna need either a drill/jigsaw combo to put in the trolling motor tray or a small wheel cutting tool...like a huge Dremel, and I have both so I’ll help if you want?

A couple 4” or so putty knives and a couple 2” would really help for pushing the carpet edges into place.

The flapper wheel stripping tool works great, just don’t play with it!

A couple stiff wire drill inserts to get rid of the easy stuff and then it’s just work!

Let me know if you want some help!
    I believe I have most everything you mention.

Sawzall - check
    Dremel - check
    flapper wheel stripping tool - I think I have one of those in my dremel accessories as well
    stiff wire drill inserts - check

I have a buddy that has offered to help too...plus I have my kids to order around when things need delegating, lol. But I sure appreciate the offer and the input.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebigmouth View Post
    While you are at Harbor Freight I would get one of those oscillating multi-purpose tools and a chisel type scraper tool to fit it. I would also get a stiff putty knife (about 1 1/2")and sharpen it on one side. I also used a small side grinder with a 40 grit flap wheel for the really tough stuff. Warning: It will make a dust storm. I am still prepping so have no experience yet with adhesives.
    I have a small putty knife...and a razor scraper on order...but I know I will get tired of scraping and was looking for an ergonomic, yet durable scraper that might make the job easier. I think scraping will be the most labor intensive part of the process.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Wow, you just turned down my help?! Not only has that never happened but I’m offended! Just joking but if you need some help just pick up the phone! Take pics too, I bet more people would do this if they really knew it’s not that bad once you get the old carpet out.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Wow, you just turned down my help?! Not only has that never happened but I’m offended! Just joking but if you need some help just pick up the phone! Take pics too, I bet more people would do this if they really knew it’s not that bad once you get the old carpet out.
    Not trying to offend hahaha, just trying to save our friendship

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

8. Member
    Nice winter project. Lots of experienced guys here to help.
    - Carpet quantity Ranger parts can confirm amount needed
    - Glue quantity may be on the light side for both
    - Throw away paint brushes and rollers for adhesives
    - Adhesive removal

- Acetone will work as well, but use with caution. Use in a well ventilated area with a organic vapor respirator and gloves. It’s highly flammable and the vapor will cause LIVER DAMAGE. Goof Off is a good remover and friendlier to work with. Follow the same precautions.
    - Trolling Motor tray lots of options. Dawson at Fishonfabrications has stock trays or will fabricate to your needs. Great workmanship and a great value. 770-608-3003 he is on the web also.

This is the tray he fabricated for me. Good luck and take your time making your girl happy.
    Wayne

Thanks Wayne, I appreciate you taking the time to offer some feedback. Well noted on all points.

I've doubled up on the glue and settled on 16 oz from Ranger because they only sell the 16 or the 24...and I don't want to deal with tight lids. Should be ok with 16 since 14oz came on my boat originally.

I have one of those exact respirators at work that I can take home and use, plus some gloves.

I noticed several people have done away with the seat pedestal base and just carpeted around the hole. I think I like it.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

10. Member
    Glad to help. Gutted my girl last winter great to see the transformation. Couple of other tips.
    - Take lots of pics as you demo great reference for reassembly
    - Keep all parts labeled and baged, organization will be your friend

Guys here will be a giant help.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by WjColdWater View Post
    Glad to help. Gutted my girl last winter great to see the transformation. Couple of other tips.
    - Take lots of pics as you demo great reference for reassembly
    - Keep all parts labeled and baged, organization will be your friend

Guys here will be a giant help.
    Wayne
    Will do. Thanks again.

Keep an eye out for the restoration thread.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

One gallon of carpet glue was enough for my 374V and I used 3M 90 spray glue on the led edges, worked great.

A nice clean 4x8 sheet of plywood makes a nice work area, heavy duty scissors for carpet. Try to remove old carpet in one piece to use as a template, cut new carpet 1/2" to an inch bigger. Marker to trace template and to mark arrows on the back side of carpet so goes in one direction. What else? Oh, razor blades, 3/16" aluminum rivets and washers, small rollers for glue, rolling pin or a wallpaper roller to roll carpet after laying it down, clamps and paint sticks to hold carpet on lid edges. A 6+ pack (get a few, these evaporate faster then acetone) and some cuss words and you should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrodbender View Post
    A nice clean 4x8 sheet of plywood makes a nice work area, heavy duty scissors for carpet. Try to remove old carpet in one piece to use as a template, cut new carpet 1/2" to an inch bigger. Marker to trace template and to mark arrows on the back side of carpet so goes in one direction. What else? Oh, razor blades, 3/16" aluminum rivets and washers, small rollers for glue, rolling pin or a wallpaper roller to roll carpet after laying it down, clamps and paint sticks to hold carpet on lid edges. A 6+ pack (get a few, these evaporate faster then acetone) and some cuss words and you should be good.

Good list...thank you sir. I appreciate the input.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

15. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Pictures and tag everything before like stated, especially the hinges for lids and stuff like that, I used the 2 handed scrapers that hold the 4 inch long blades like from Lowe's worked well and a lot easier than smaller applications to scrape. Having arthritis it worked well and I bought a rivet tool that goes on a drill and it was a blessing my hands couldn't take squeezing that rivet gun for long. otherwise keep a clean area to work in with good light and patience 1 gallon and a couple of cans of the green 3M will do you for the job. they also sell a carpet cutting knife which is a real nice thing to have a lot better than just a razor knife it has 4 sides to each blade and it works better.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    Pictures and tag everything before like stated, especially the hinges for lids and stuff like that, I used the 2 handed scrapers that hold the 4 inch long blades like from Lowe's worked well and a lot easier than smaller applications to scrape. Having arthritis it worked well and I bought a rivet tool that goes on a drill and it was a blessing my hands couldn't take squeezing that rivet gun for long. otherwise keep a clean area to work in with good light and patience 1 gallon and a couple of cans of the green 3M will do you for the job. they also sell a carpet cutting knife which is a real nice thing to have a lot better than just a razor knife it has 4 sides to each blade and it works better.
    Thanks for the advice twitch. I hope mine comes out looking at least half as good as yours. I plan on doing a thread with lots of pictures. Stay tuned.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

17. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Organization, labeling and pictures will be your friend as noted above. When a mans work area looks like WjColdWater I habe NO doubt it came out perfect!

Corners & edges can be tough, just be sure to see how the factory carpet was cut and glued when you’re tearing it out!

I hope it all stays in 1 piece and doesn’t stretch so you have good templates! Hey, aren’t you supposed to be studying for a tournament??

Organization, labeling and pictures will be your friend as noted above. When a mans work area looks like WjColdWater I habe NO doubt it came out perfect!

Corners & edges can be tough, just be sure to see how the factory carpet was cut and glued when you’re tearing it out!

I hope it all stays in 1 piece and doesn’t stretch so you have good templates! Hey, aren’t you supposed to be studying for a tournament??
    Dang! Busted...yes, I should be....

but, I don't know if I'm more excited about the tournament or the carpet project afterwards. I'm stoked to be getting this done.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

19. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    How do you study for a tournament??????
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    How do you study for a tournament??????
    Study the topo map...Study the forecast...study google maps...

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast