Thread: Bad boy buggy

Bad boy buggy

Looking at getting one and was hoping to get advise from some people that actually have them. Would you suggest getting one or not?
    Ricky Rutherford
    2017 Legend V20
    2017 250 Pro XS

On the electric only models, the 4 wheel drive really limits the range, especially in muddy, rough conditions.

Have you thought about a modified golf cart? You'd be surprised where one will go for a lot less money. I use one for hunting all over the country during turkey season. In 12 years, I've only been stuck once crossing a creek. Front axle was hung on a root that was washed out and underwater and didn't discover it till we tried to pull it out.

For what they want for a Bad Boy Buggy, I'd put a few more dollars with it and get a Polaris or Mule.

I have both a golf cart and Polaris. I rarely use the Polaris..only when its necessary.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

3. Banned
    Had a ranger, went to the bad boy and back to the ranger. Batteries couldn't hold up running around on 4k acres all day. It just didn't work for our needs. We hunt exotics year round at the time and had no room for an axis or scimitar etc. the ranger fit my needs much better but the Bad Boy may be just what you need.

4. Member
    The couple of people I know who bought Bad Boys had lots of trouble out of them. I loved the idea of electric rear wheel drive, with the capability of starting a gas engine to power the front wheels, but the price and mechanical issues just weren't worth it. I have a Kawasaki Mule that I use for most stuff, and a golf cart with lift and tires that I use for my night time hog hunting, so I can sneak up on them using night vision.
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Yamaha 150 SHO w/ Tempest 23P
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Helix 10MDI & 12MSI G2N at console
    Helix 10 M+DI G4N w/ M360 and Garmin 93 w/ LiveScope at bow
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons

5. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    I do have one and love it. No comparison between a golf cart and bad boy. A bad boys suspension is the same as a Polaris. My XTO bone collector edition has the same shocks and all as my brother in laws polaris. Has more torque and will drag any gas powered utv backward.

We hunt on 1000 acres with one stand 2.5 miles from camp. I can make that trip three times on a single charge with no problems, that's 15 miles... done it several times carrying 3-4 people in and out with their gear. The terrain is not terrible but also not flat. The farther you push the pedal the faster the battery dies. It's not something you haul ass on or a work buggy, it's for hunting.

The down side is the charging part with a generator it takes all night this is with any electric cart. Another thing the quality on mine is pretty good but mine was built by ezgo not the original bad boy. The originals were terrible quality, parts hard to get and no support customer or technical. So I would not buy older for sure.

As far as the comment on 4wd vs 2wd golf cart the newer ones can be cut off and on. But a friend has a ruff n tuff which has 2wd/4wd selectable switch on the same property. My bad boy will go farther than his, I've pushed him back on several occasions, battery maintenance is key.

Now on a 4k acre track I would say not a good choice unless camp is in the middle and flat terrain.

One had a gas golf cart on the property it was ok and will go and go but 4 people has it struggling suspension wise and power but for one or two it would be fine. Gas is noisier and smells.

We have rode past deer within 30 yards eating on electric to have them stare and continue eating, never done that with anything gas.

To sum it up hunting on the right terrain or track of land you can't beat a bad boy or the like. Working, mountains or huge track of land go gas. In no circumstance have I seen a 2wd electric beneficial over the bad boy except maybe on a golf course you may get some looks with the tires shredding the course.

Thanks guys, I have a Yamaha Rhino and a couple four wheelers and I want the bad boy for the stealth of it and the fact that my father can't walk as far as he used to so it will help getting him in and out of the woods without all of the noise. Fishnfool, what year models would you suggest if buying used?
    Ricky Rutherford
    2017 Legend V20
    2017 250 Pro XS

7. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Mine 2012 and I wouldn't go a year older.
    I've considered selling mine and getting the hybrid gas/electric. My only hold back is I've got a couple of guys that have done this wanting mine now so I'm kind of skeptical.

Just a heads up I bought used in 2015 the guy had abused the batteries and put ITP mud tires on it they would rattle your teeth on pavement. I spent 1200 unexpected dollars on eight 6 volt trojan batteries, then changed the tires. Just be careful when buying used take into account the battery age and if the person charges after each use that is critical. The guy I bought from come to find out would run it for a weekend park it then charge it the day before going again. Then after I called him about the condition of the batteries he told me they just changed the acid in all the batteries

Thanks
    Ricky Rutherford
    2017 Legend V20
    2017 250 Pro XS

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Have a Polaris EV has served me well just hot 900 hours of use and just replaced the batteries , not bad in my opinion, range is about 15 miles on a charge , just replaced the wet cells with atm so we shall see how that goes.

My dad had one a few years ago and it could barely get from his truck to his stand and back. it was 4x4 and there were a few hills. I think all the guys driving them in the shows stick to flat fields and then only drive them with the camera is on LOL.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow