Spring Fishing Trip, Looking for Recommendations

Hello,

I am ice and snow bound up here in northern Wisconsin and starting to plan a spring trip somewhere with open water. Looking at the 1st week of April. I really would like to find a numbers lake where I can catch fish pretty regularly. Not looking for big bass, just fun fishing. Would be Monday through Friday so not in the way of tournaments or weekend locals.

I have read a lot of conflicting information on Grand, but do see you have several other options in your northeast part of the state as well. Open to any lake ideas so wouldn’t have to be in Oklahoma. Would appreciate anybody’s feedback.

Thanks,

Scott.....
    Scott Davis
    Chetek, WI
    2015 Lund Impact 1850\Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    Flambeau Bassmasters - Ladysmith, WI
    Rice Lake Area Bassmasters - Rice Lake, WI

Also a Goldwing Rider...:-)

ranger391@gmail.com

2. Member
    Look at tenkiller, smallmouth ,spots and largemouth close to tahlequah. You could fish a day on the ditch (Arkansas river ) a day on ft Gibson a day on Hudson, a day on grand all within a hour or so . You could also fish eufaula, also fish a day on green leaf

Tenkiller would be my vote. Absolutely beautiful lake, clear water, and lots of fish. Some really nice smallmouth as well.
    Grand is hit or miss with me. Somedays I think it's the best lake in the state, other days I would not care if they blew the dam out of it.

If you're from WI, our smallmouth fishing is not going to impress you
    I'd go a bit farther south and hit Broken Bow, Pine Creek & McGee Creek. Lots of fish with a chance at a giant.

5. Member
    Bad thing about fishing Oklahoma in the spring... we could get 8” of rain any day and screw everything up

6. Member
    I'd look at Tenkiller or Hudson. My best fish seem to always come on Hudson in April. Likewise with my personal best stringer. Just pick up a square bill crank and burn some bank. Tenkiller could be dead water depending on if and how much rain we have had leading up to the trip but there are plenty of lakes to fallback on.

7. Member
    Eufaula would be ok I would not recommend the river for numbers

If I were bringing someone in from out of state and we could go anywhere, I'd take them to either McGee Creek or Sardis.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

If you care more about numbers than size, I would also vote for Tenkiller. Not to say that there aren't big ones in there.
    2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest

10. Member
    I would also recommend Tenkiller, it is a great lake, rocky banks, bluffs, humps, usually pretty clear if not a heavy rainfall. It is a slot lake so there are a lot of fish that fall under and in the slot. Good population of smallmouth, catching a 4lb is not that unusual. Good numbers of spots and largemouth. As previously stated you can be to Grand, Hudson, Ft Gibson within an hour or so drive time. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Klinger N Ok View Post
    If you're from WI, our smallmouth fishing is not going to impress you
    I'd go a bit farther south and hit Broken Bow, Pine Creek & McGee Creek. Lots of fish with a chance at a giant.
    Broken bow

12. Member
    Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it.

Scott....
    Scott Davis
    Chetek, WI
    2015 Lund Impact 1850\Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    Flambeau Bassmasters - Ladysmith, WI
    Rice Lake Area Bassmasters - Rice Lake, WI

Also a Goldwing Rider...:-)

ranger391@gmail.com

13. Member
    I would also vote Broken Bow
    --------------------------------------------------
    2013 Ranger Z520c w/Yamaha SHO 250

14. Member
    In April Broken Bow or Mcgee Creek
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

15. Member
    I'd say why stop at Oklahoma? You can get bigger numbers and consistency a few more hours south. Lake tawakoni in Texas is a numbers machine, and it's right next to Fork which is great for big, big, BIG bass. I mean, if you're traveling already it's just a couple more hours drive down the interstate...
    Need a new bow step pad for your boat? Do what I did!
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=712307

Are your boat seats trashed? Fix them yourself and save $1000!
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=754944

16. Member
    Pine Creek has been great for numbers and size. But if we get a lot of rain it fluctuates a bunch.

17. Member
    Broken Bow is a awesome lake in Se Oklahoma McGee creek is great but can be tough fishing, Sardis is real good but if its windy the waves are a killer. heck if your gonna drive this far do yourself a favor and go on down to Sam Rayburn, Toledo bend or Lake Fork. Oklahoma has better football but texass does have better fishing