Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

3/4 ton truck pulling

Does anyone tow with a 3/4 ton gas truck. Was thinking about a 3/4 ton gasser for my next truck and was wondering how they tow. I have a 05 Ranger Z21

I had one, they are fine, better breaks than a 1/2 ton. But they get worse mpgs than a 1/2 ton. I will probably own another one in the future but it will say power wagon on it. And that's more than just a truck.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Banned
    If you consider purchasing such a truck new, you might want to order it. The ones you often see on dealer lots are equipped like a company truck--stripped models.

They tow trailers up to about 10K, but a diesel is really best beyond that weight. Just be aware that any 3/4 ton truck, gas or diesel, is limited in their ability to carry more than about 2500 lbs. in the bed. Some Max Tow 1/2 ton trucks can just about reach that.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I had one, they are fine, better breaks than a 1/2 ton. But they get worse mpgs than a 1/2 ton. I will probably own another one in the future but it will say power wagon on it. And that's more than just a truck.
    I just don't see how any breaks in a truck could be considered better.

5. Member
    I had a 3500 single axle way back when. The 3/4 ton’s are just overkill for a bass boat. If you prefer one then go for it. As for brakes my Tundra has 13.9” up front with four piston calipers and 13.6” with standard single piston caliper out back. I bet the other half tons today are similar. I’ve pulled a 21’ Skeeter, a 20’ Ranger and a 20’ Cat for a couple thousand miles with either a Tundra or Hemi Ram. They do the job!

I’ve also owned a specialty off road truck, took it down a dirt road a few times LOL. The Power Wagon is an ALLLLSOME off road truck! IMO Those specialty trucks shine where they are meant to be driven. I’ve yet to see a bass boat being pulled more than a dirt road. If you spend time off road, or just want the looks and dont mind the gas and ride go for it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Ahh, quick witted I see, haha.

7. Member
    I had a 1/2 ton for 5 years and now have a 3/4 ton. Very minor but the tongue weight of my 20 ft. Skeeter made the 1/2 ton squat more in the back to the point where at night oncoming drivers would flash me even though I didn't have my brights on. I never got around to adding helper springs or air bags to correct this and I just ended up buying a new truck. Same boat with the 3/4 truck doesn't squat at all.

Brakes

better? Bedder? Badder?
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Member
    Been snow flurries here all morning. Just bored.

10. Member
    I take my breaks inside my truck when its 100 deg on the job site. With the AC running of course. Slow today at work so I'm surfing BBC! From the posts upstairs I think the world is about to end soon.

11. Member
    It ain't the go, its the whoa.
    Dave

12. Member
    Hello, I am Steven and I like to waste cash on diesel and 3/4 ton trucks to commute and tow a bass boat....

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenMCC View Post
    Hello, I am Steven and I like to waste cash on diesel and 3/4 ton trucks to commute and tow a bass boat....
    .......but I will pay 60k for a dink catching bass boat but no way I’ll spend a few extra bucks for a truck with a significant safety margin that will tow it without white knuckles, lol.

Let each of us decide for ourselves without ridicule!
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenMCC View Post
    Better than drugs and alcohol!
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

15. Member
    Lost that is not ridicule... It is the truth. Daily driver 2017 F250 4x4 w/powerstroke, and on the plus side the tank is so large I only fill up every other week!

The reality of 2018 heck almost 2019 any half ton will pull less than 5k with a wide margin of safety.

16. Member
    Try finding someone with a 3.5 Ecoboost twin turbo in an F-150 and hook your boat to it...it will very likely change your mind about needing a 3/4 ton. It is most certainly not "white knuckle" towing for any bass boat and will still get 20-22 mpg unloaded as a daily driver.

17. Member
    White knuckles? Good grief guys. Most bass boat rigs are under 4K pounds. If you have trailer brakes and you can't pull a 3K-4K load with a half ton without getting white knuckles, something is just wrong with your set up, your driving or both.
    I pull a 2XD all over the country with a half ton. At 70 MPH it tracks pulls beautifully. Tandem trailer with single axle brakes. Just a pinch of common sense goes a long ways. It might take a little more room to stop than without trailer but not much.

18. Member
    White knuckles? Good grief guys. Most bass boat rigs are under 4K pounds. If you have trailer brakes and you can't pull a 3K-4K load with a half ton without getting white knuckles, something is just wrong with your set up, your driving or both.
    I pull a 2XD all over the country with a half ton. At 70 MPH it tracks pulls beautifully. Tandem trailer with single axle brakes. Just a pinch of common sense goes a long ways. It might take a little more room to stop than without trailer but not much.
    Yep. A half ton will easily pull any bass boat. I do not know the extent of the OP;s towing needs but if it is just a bass boat of course it would be good to go. A 3/4 pickup will tow fine until you get into truly heavy trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTTEXAN View Post
    .......but I will pay 60k for a dink catching bass boat but no way I’ll spend a few extra bucks for a truck with a significant safety margin that will tow it without white knuckles, lol.

Let each of us decide for ourselves without ridicule!
    A half ton has plenty of safety margin for a bass boat.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

20. Member
    I had a 2000 gmc 1500 with a 4.8 ,never had a issue with towing single axle trailers. I hooked up a friends 521 tandem axle and the truck struggled with that boat . Hills were really bad.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast