Ranger Z21 trailer inner fender carpet loose

I have a 2005 ranger Z21 and the carpet on the inside of the trailer fender is loose due to rivets falling out. Does anyone know what kind of rivets to replace them with??

2. Member
    3/16x1” aluminum. Or 3/16x3/4” aluminum.

On mine that was the whole board the carpet is glued to. I dumped the boat in the water and attached it back with bolts and lock nuts. Rivets are just going to come loose again.

Those inner fender rivets are terrible. The inner fender is part of the structure of the fender and when the rivets get loose, the fender vibrates going down the road, which can cause cracks in the clear coat. On my last Ranger, I drilled them all out soon after buying the boat and replaced then with screws big fender washers, and nylock nuts. Put the head of the screw/bolt on the carpeted side. When you snug it down it will pull the head into the carpet so that it won't scratch the hull.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    What screws did you use were they counter sunk or regular. And how long of screw

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bnagel11 View Post
    What screws did you use were they counter sunk or regular. And how long of screw
    I used stainless steel and I used the ones which were the same width of the old rivets. Just make sure they are long to go thru the fender board and the fender itself. Make sure the nut is a nylok type. I went to ace hardware and showed the guy my old rivet and told him I did not want rivets any more and he helped me out. you can do it by your self just thread the screw then put a vice grip on the nut and use a drill with screw fitting and it will draw it up in seconds I even had to change out the rivets on my hatches with stainless steel screws.

7. Member
    I used countersunk stainless screws on mine with stainless locknuts on the inside of the fender. Just tightened them up enough to pull the screw head into the wood enough to go int the carpet so you won't scratch your boat when loading/unloading.

I’ve fixed several of these fenders for customers. As stated...stainless counter sunk heads, washers and lock nut on back. I even use a little blue Loctite to ensure it stays. You have to countersink the hole....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    I’ve fixed several of these fenders for customers. As stated...stainless counter sunk heads, washers and lock nut on back. I even use a little blue Loctite to ensure it stays. You have to countersink the hole....
    This. My repair is similar.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=920983

10. Member
    McCormick, SC - By way of Aubrey,TX ,Buford, GA and originally Kettering, OH
    This happened to my 2006 Z20 when it was 2 years old and Ranger sent my dealer stainless clips that worked perfectly. I'd post pics but have sold that Ranger. So you may want to contact Ranger.
    2020 520L / 250 PRO XS 4S