4 Stroke Outboards: Cold Weather

My old Carbed Evinrude on my old Ranger has a big difference in power in cold weather v's summer time. I sometimes change props from winter to summer to accommodate it.

My dad has an EFI Merc on his and I've never noticed much difference in power between cold weather and hot weather. I assumed my SHO would be pretty much that was. I'm now thinking not so. I've notice the power on the SHO has increased a lot in cold weather. Just wondered if that was normal?

2. Member
    Yea that's normal better air it's more dense.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

3. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    I haven't noticed a difference on the Merc 150 4s or 300 Verado.

4. Banned
    Cold air is denser and therefore makes more power, IF the engine can sense the cooler/denser air and compensate by adding more fuel.
    Your carbed motor could not adjust itself, but the SHO most likely can.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Cold air is denser and therefore makes more power, IF the engine can sense the cooler/denser air and compensate by adding more fuel.
    SHO 'nuff should.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    SHO 'nuff should.
    LOL

7. Member
    Cold water is more dense, gonna be faster

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Carbed engine lost power in the heat of the summer. I ran a 24 inch prop in the winter and 22 inch July and August. I know about the cooler denser air. I just knew it didn't make much difference with Dad's EFI and figured the SHO would somehow compensate for it.

A carbed motor will run faster and better in colder temps because as said, the air is more dense. The air to fuel mixture is leaned out and performance gains are there.
    There is a built in margin of over fueling in the jetting for cold weather. Ski-Doo had carbs that adjusted float bowl pressures to compensate for temp and bar. press.
    It was called DPM and worked great on snowmobiles, which run from 40 degrees some days to below 0 others. If you have an old carbed Merc or Rude they run awesome
    on cold days especially under 1500' to sea level. Over fueled 2 stoke=smoke, sputter and long engine life. Too lean=BOOM & $
    Direct inj. 2 strokes are a huge leap forward in performance and economy.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

Quote Originally Posted by basscla View Post
    I haven't noticed a difference on the Merc 150 4s or 300 Verado.
    The 150 will have less ability to make more power so it's harder to notice, the supercharger probably negates the naturally aspirated boost of more air since it has computer controlled boost
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

11. Banned
    Just chiming in, I was shocked to see my 2 stroke Pro XS run 400 more rpms on a colder morning. Sure is a big gain, my old yami OX66 didn’t vary that much.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt1212 View Post
    Cold water is more dense, gonna be faster
    LOL

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    LOL
    Laugh if you want be there is a very small difference. A prop will get better bite in dense water, thus being more efficient in 40* water verses 85* water. The difference it makes is minimal but it does happen. Plus as previously mentioned boat motors have the tendency to make a little more horsepower in cooler weather. Again this is also very minimal. When you add the two gains together people have seen 1-3 mph increase with motors that have 150-250 horsepower. I know my motor picks up 100-150 rpm in the cold months and that gains me about 1 more mph. There is a few people that actually have enough difference between cold/hot they run a "winter" prop and a "summer" prop.

It's been said many times in the past that if someone is dialing in their rig for performance and it's in the summer heat get it set to be within 200 rpm of max operation because come cold weather it will be right on max operation. It's just the opposite for winter. Set it right on max rpm because come summer heat you will lose 1-200 rpm. This has to do with the combination of water density and engine performance in the cold versus heat.

14. Member
    my jet gains 3-400 rpm in colder air vs summer.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

15. Member
    I move from a 25 Tempest+ summer prop to a 25 Croxton Razor in the winter, air temps 50 or less water same temp range and can hit 6K RPMs on a 150 Etec G2 HO. Summer on the Razor 5600 RPMs, Tempest+ 5900-6K.

16. Member
    Same here on the prop, keep a summer and winter prop.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Laugh if you want be there is a very small difference. A prop will get better bite in dense water, thus being more efficient in 40* water verses 85* water. The difference it makes is minimal but it does happen. Plus as previously mentioned boat motors have the tendency to make a little more horsepower in cooler weather. Again this is also very minimal. When you add the two gains together people have seen 1-3 mph increase with motors that have 150-250 horsepower. I know my motor picks up 100-150 rpm in the cold months and that gains me about 1 more mph. There is a few people that actually have enough difference between cold/hot they run a "winter" prop and a "summer" prop.

It's been said many times in the past that if someone is dialing in their rig for performance and it's in the summer heat get it set to be within 200 rpm of max operation because come cold weather it will be right on max operation. It's just the opposite for winter. Set it right on max rpm because come summer heat you will lose 1-200 rpm. This has to do with the combination of water density and engine performance in the cold versus heat.
    It's not the water temperature causing the change; it's the air temperature.

18. Member
    My best speeds to date even with my little 115 4 stroke have come during the winter. I've yet to have a boat that wasn't that way.