Thread: Rust...Help!!!!

Rust...Help!!!!

Guys i continue to have a problem with rust on my baits/hooks. I NEVER put any bait away wet. I have tackle hanger that baits gets hung from to dry after they are cut off. Most of my tackle is in standard 3700 series Plano boxes and in my compartments in my boat. I have rust on hooks/baits that have only rode in boat but have never seen water. When i get home from fishing and put boat in garage i open all my compartment lids for air flow. So just looking for some ideas of what you do to prevent rust. Thanks guys.
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    When the temperature changes someplace where it is humid, you can get condensation on metal objects. Either get them dry and then store them in an air tight container or keep them somewhere that is temperature controlled.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I have alot of tackle i carry in my boat. I would need to spend $300-$400 on water proof plano's which i cant afford right now. My tackle comes in the house in winter but spring thru fall its on the boat.
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

4. Member
    I use these rust inhibitor tabs. They work pretty well. https://www.amazon.com/Flambeau-Tack.../dp/B003R7DYR4
    2000 Viper Coral 202
    2013 Pro XS 200

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TableRock Coral View Post
    I use these rust inhibitor tabs. They work pretty well. https://www.amazon.com/Flambeau-Tack.../dp/B003R7DYR4
    Me too, they work great and no rust.

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    And, as was pointed out to me in my jig organization thread, drill some airflow holes in your boxes so the condensation doesn’t get stuck in there. I can’t leave anything in the boat, I’m way too neurotic!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

7. Member
    Those flambeau tabs work, bullfrog stuff works, but this is also the perfect time of year to stock up on silica packets. All the Xmas presents have them of various sizes. I throw a few of those in each waterproof Plano box and don’t have rust issues anymore.

Also this may be obvious but just checking. You don’t keep any soft plastics in those boxes do you? Like keeping a trailer on a jig that you put away? If there is any trace of salt in those boxes with the condensation it’s going to make rust.

8. Member
    Sbassin22. Yes i fo have trailers on jigs in my jig boxes. Although ive not really had a problem with jigs rusting. More just my hardbaits. And on the Flambeau tabs in the link provided how many do you get for that price?
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

9. Member
    And my fishin partner has mentioned trying drilling holes in his boxes to let condensation escape. So we will definately try that. And the flambeau tabs
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyD26 View Post
    And on the Flambeau tabs in the link provided how many do you get for that price?
    Good question. It mentions nothing on quantity. Hopefully more than one at that price!

11. Member
    If the inside of the containers are dry when you put them away then it is condensation. You need to either raise the temp or lower the humidity. A fan circulating air may help with both. Is all the water getting drained from the bilge? Does that area dry through. Any other sources of water/humidity.

Is the boat parked outside? There is the radiant cooling effect. On clear nights objects give off more heat to the night sky and can cool below the air temp causing condensation

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyD26 View Post
    And my fishin partner has mentioned trying drilling holes in his boxes to let condensation escape. So we will definately try that. And the flambeau tabs
    Drilling holes will just let the moisture in. It’s the warm humid air that rolls in when it has been cold that causes the problem. Air circulation causes the problem, it doesn’t prevent it. Cold hooks that are exposed to warm, humid air is the issue.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

13. Member
    I use a piece of chalk in my boxes as well as my tool boxes. Old trick that still works.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Drilling holes will just let the moisture in. It’s the warm humid air that rolls in when it has been cold that causes the problem. Air circulation causes the problem, it doesn’t prevent it. Cold hooks that are exposed to warm, humid air is the issue.
    Agreed. Tried that in the past. Didn’t help at all. Waterproof boxes for everything. Worth the extra $3. Then just something to absorb the moisture from condensation due to temp changes.

Silica packs. I have used them for years. No rust problem. I have also heard from others who use them, to also check with your local pharmacy. Many "DRUGS" are packed with the little canisters that do the same thing.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

16. Member
    i get lots of new tools in with the moisture packets and I put them in my plano boxes--likely can buy them online

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-...emoval+packets
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

17. Member
    You can get on Amazon and order a package of the small silica packets that are used in shipping to absorb moisture. You can get different sizes, and reasonably priced.

18. Member
    Go to black nickle hooks

19. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Something is going on, sounds like too much moisture coming from some source. Are you pulling the plug for your return trip from fishing? Is your garage air tight? .A friend of mine built a garage for his boat. Nice, running water, drain and so on. Made of brick, beautifully finished inside. It was so air tight that everything in it rusted including his trailer that stated to fall apart. Those Flambeau trays work well and cheaper than Plano too.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

If your boat isstored outside then it will be tough if you dont drain it well or have a really good cover
    2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003