Smallie Fishing and looking for cabins

Wife and I want to bring kids to Black Hills for the outdoor attractions in that area. I told the wife I wouldn’t mind bringing the boat and try my hand at smallie fishing. We haven’t nailed down exact time of year but probably a warmer time so kids can enjoy swimming/boating.

1) is there any good cabins on the water or near the water?
    2) looking at Oahe, Francis, Sharp, or Angostura.
    3) I’m travelling with the family (6 of us), we could stay at a couple different places over 7-10 days.

Oahe looks and sounds like a world class lake but it looks overwhelming to say the least.

I have fished all of those except Sharp. If you talk to any of the SD guys, they will tell you that Francis Case is the worst smallie lake on the MO river. However, it is still pretty good. Especially if you are coming from somewhere that doesn't have much in the way of smallmouth fishing. I don't really remember any cabins on any of those lakes that are truly on the water. If you watched the Oahe Elite Series tournament, you would understand why. Those lakes are basically just wide rivers in the middle of a cattle ranch and open prairie.

Francis Case seems to have much smaller bass than Oahe but both lakes can be a bad time if it's windy. Considering where we are talking about, you might as well plan on it being windy and then be pleasantly surprised if its not.

Angostura (and the Black Hills in general) are absolutely beautiful. I have only been there once over the course of a few days in August. Because we were with family and friends, I was only able to get out on the water for a couple of hours each day but we still managed to find them petty easily by burning a jerkbait around the docks and tire rows around the marina. We did stay at a cabin about a mile from the ramp but I don't have any info on it as I wasn't the person that booked it. I will also say that you can expect to travel for miles down a dirt road to get to any ramp on that lake. Doesn't bother me but it's not for everyone.

I don't have tons of experience on any of those lakes but I'd be happy to share anything I do know if you are interested.
    2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest

3. Banned
    Angostura has excellent smallmouth, largemouth, and walleye. Really fun lake! Can be fickle too when I’m there

4. Member
    Thanks for the info. The wife wants to spend some time in the black hills area so angostura will probably be an option. Oahe seems like a lake I shouldn’t avoid, if I’m going to be in that area of the country. I’ve got some time to plan, I may get in touch with you fellas once I get a bit closer.

Spring creek has cabins right on the water on Oahe.

6. Member
    West Bend is the epitome of wilderness South Dakota with all the amenities of home except internet.

Their cabins are just that, cabins,( and they only sleep 4)
    but it is right in the heart of South Dakota finest smallmouth fishery on Lake Sharpe and very scenic also.

the river can be wild with wind, so be careful and watch the wind reports..

https://travel.campsd.com/travel.cam...-Area/Overview

7. Member
    Thanks for the advice fellas. I have some planning to do.

8. Member
    Did you ever go?