Thread: Steering Clips?

Steering Clips?

What are "steering Clips" being referred to on this forum? And where can I get them? I have a 150 4 stroke with hydraulic steering.

2. Member

3. Member
    They are 3 or 4 inch long c shaped brackets that clamp onto each side of steering cylinder ram to fill the space between the cylinder top and the mount bracket. They help keep the motor from swinging, flopping, or turning to one side when trailering. They make some from hard plastic and some from a softer rubber. I think guys prefer the softer type especially if you trailer in cold temps because apparently the hard plastic one crack or break sometimes in cold temps. Not sure where to get them but maybe on motormate's website.
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Member
    thanks. Just ordered some from th marine

5. Member
    You have to be careful. I am using a silver steer hydraulic cylinder. The seals extend slightly beyond the glands that contain them. A clip can actually contact this seal lip and potentially damage it. Silver Steer says to not use the clips. However, if you insist, I would take a dremel and bevel the inside edge all the way around where it contacts the pushrod, to give that seal lip some clearance so that it doesn't contact the clip while driving down the road. However, if you use Silver Steer (a better cylinder IMHO) the clips are still a little problematic as the pushrod diameter is slightly larger than sea star making the clip hard to install. Rubber works better there for sure.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    You have to be careful. I am using a silver steer hydraulic cylinder. The seals extend slightly beyond the glands that contain them. A clip can actually contact this seal lip and potentially damage it. Silver Steer says to not use the clips. However, if you insist, I would take a dremel and bevel the inside edge all the way around where it contacts the pushrod, to give that seal lip some clearance so that it doesn't contact the clip while driving down the road. However, if you use Silver Steer (a better cylinder IMHO) the clips are still a little problematic as the pushrod diameter is slightly larger than sea star making the clip hard to install. Rubber works better there for sure.
    +1

Also, I strongly recommend the HD MERCURY Branded cylinder, as it has a heavier-duty seal package.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. mikesxpress
    Lewis do you have a Sea Star brand steering system? Most of us do.

8. Member
    Yes Sea Star