Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    auto unions caused this transition to the south. honda doing great in Ohio and takes such good care of employees they do not want the unions-
    They can take some responsibility for this, for sure.

everything has been changing for the consumer. You can can most things cheaper online, Don t have to drive, find online coupons. 50% or more of a Lowe's store can be bought on line. The lumber/hard materials section is around 30 percent of the store.

The market is changing.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    And calling us the "rust belt" isn't insulting???...

She earned it honestly in accordance with her contract... Good for her... Dan
    I disagree. If a company took public money to stay in business, then comes back to state they are closong most of their US plants, but zero in Mexico and China....they are looking at even lower sales. I have been a GM long term customer....but no more. And if GM is hurting...I find 22 million for the CEO ....obscene...but that is me.

4. huskyjerk
    Rust belt resident here: not offended. The gentleman from Canada is simply telling the truth. GM just shut down 2 plants within a 15 minute drive from my house. It's happening again.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    Don't forget Harley Davidson moving some production to Thailand, guess nobody is buying any Harley's now. IF you distract the conversation, you don't have to talk about the budget deficit, which has increased over 2.1 Trillion in less than 2 years, and oh yeah, where are all those Lower Health insurance premiums????
    i have not heard about the deficit as of late,it was a daily talk, now we are leaving our kids and grands with it must not be a problem now,its all fixed

6. Member
    Two Toyota plants within 30 min drive of me and one is relatively new, guys there doing very well and compensate well to keep unions out.

7. Member
    And calling us the "rust belt" isn't insulting???...

She earned it honestly in accordance with her contract... Good for her... Dan
    I question her earning it. Over the last year Gm high/low per share has been 44 and 31. Over the last 5 years stock high/low has been around 45/28. Dividends have been paid at the rate of 38cents/ share for about 3 years now. She's falling into the same path as her predecessor's paying unjustified dividends to keep the shareholders somewhat happy.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    I use the term that the media has always used, and same term the few people I know from Indiana use. It's not an insult to the people or the region.
    Now, if I was told that one of the reasons these manufacturers moved away was because I/we were sub-standard workers, I would have a problem with that.
    I can feel the love when you/ they use the term rust belt... ... Let's see...

New York's state slogan is "Excelsior"
    Pennsylvania is " Virtue, Liberty and Independence"
    West Virginia's is "Montani semper liberi" (Mountaineers are always free)
    Ohio's is "With God, all things are possible"
    Indiana's is "The Crossroads of America"
    Mishitigan's is "Si quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice" (If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you)
    Illinois' is "State Sovereignty, National Union"
    Wisconsin's is "Forward"

Hmmmmm... nowhere do the rust belts states mention "come and enjoy the color red"... ... It's a derogatory term, an insult... No matter what the national press or anyone else says... As far as the lazy, sub-standard worker part, the region is no better or worse than any other "region" of the country... Dan

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    Don't forget Harley Davidson moving some production to Thailand, guess nobody is buying any Harley's now. IF you distract the conversation, you don't have to talk about the budget deficit, which has increased over 2.1 Trillion in less than 2 years, and oh yeah, where are all those Lower Health insurance premiums????
    The Harley's in Thailand are being sold there aren't they? To my knowledge the only Harley's being imported are the 500 and the 750. Harley sales have been sliding for some time now, MUCH longer than two years! Motorcycles sales overall are down in America while big vehicle sales are up. No big secret that fuel prices are a huge part of this.

As for the deficit, come on...how much is the interest on the 9 trillion piled on the eight years before the current president got there? That alone, much less the balance before that is a STAGGERING number! I haven't seen the debt clock go anywhere but up in my almost 59 years alive. Rising interest rates will only make watching the debt clock spin even faster.

Insurance rates...we live in a country where approximately 10,000 Americans turn 65 every day. There are forecast that in the next ten years there will be more people over 65 than under 16. America BORROWS money to pay for Medicare and Medicaid. That's with every working American paying into the system, and every American over 65 being forced to pay for part B and D Medicare. You or the state are going to pay.

IMO the problem is we have people voting for politicians who's only job is getting re-elected instead of making the tough calls. Trade imbalance isn't good for America, "trade wars" are historically terrible for the U.S. When consumers demand low prices and high investment returns instead of demanding good morals in their communities what do you expect? hell, we cannot even discuss morality today without a big argument and potentially someone getting banned.

You might do well to go back and look at who actually signed agreements with trade in China and Mexico.

With the price of new cars and trucks and everything that Loew's sells, I'm surprised they're even still around...

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    The Harley's in Thailand are being sold there aren't they? To my knowledge the only Harley's being imported are the 500 and the 750. Harley sales have been sliding for some time now, MUCH longer than two years! Motorcycles sales overall are down in America while big vehicle sales are up. No big secret that fuel prices are a huge part of this.

As for the deficit, come on...how much is the interest on the 9 trillion piled on the eight years before the current president got there? That alone, much less the balance before that is a STAGGERING number! I haven't seen the debt clock go anywhere but up in my almost 59 years alive. Rising interest rates will only make watching the debt clock spin even faster.

Insurance rates...we live in a country where approximately 10,000 Americans turn 65 every day. There are forecast that in the next ten years there will be more people over 65 than under 16. America BORROWS money to pay for Medicare and Medicaid. That's with every working American paying into the system, and every American over 65 being forced to pay for part B and D Medicare. You or the state are going to pay.

IMO the problem is we have people voting for politicians who's only job is getting re-elected instead of making the tough calls. Trade imbalance isn't good for America, "trade wars" are historically terrible for the U.S. When consumers demand low prices and high investment returns instead of demanding good morals in their communities what do you expect? hell, we cannot even discuss morality today without a big argument and potentially someone getting banned.

You might do well to go back and look at who actually signed agreements with trade in China and Mexico.
    Truth ^^^

Unfortunately, tariffs end up being a tax on the American consumer.
    looking at two shotguns of equal quality

XXXX Is priced at $300.
    YYYY Is priced at $600

Which one are you going to buy?------
    Tariff-- Tax, call it whatever you want. Bring the manufacturing back to the US, or pay the price.
    The trade deficit has gone on way too long. For a lot of members here, maybe it won't affect you. But it affects millions of Americans.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    looking at two shotguns of equal quality

XXXX Is priced at $300.
    YYYY Is priced at $600

Which one are you going to buy?------
    Tariff-- Tax, call it whatever you want. Bring the manufacturing back to the US, or pay the price.
    The trade deficit has gone on way too long. For a lot of members here, maybe it won't affect you. But it affects millions of Americans.

Depends on which BBC member is buying, I’d bet many go with the more expensive.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post

Keep drinking the kool aid

15. Banned
    I personally go for better quality, and will pay for it, but.....
    shotguns/rifles are a good example. We have a number of gun manufacturers that are based and build outside of North America. They sell in Canada and probably the U.S. They can sell a good quality firearm for 30-40% less than a NA made firearm. Should they have a 30-40% tariff put on their imports, or should it be a free market?

Harley .. your market died only so many old fat guys around want to ride them
    Chevy ... low gas prices and inferior run of the mill cars that no one wants
    Lowe’s... crappy stores .. over priced .. internet sales kicking your ass

But yeah all of those issues are on the Government

I personally go for better quality, and will pay for it, but.....
    shotguns/rifles are a good example. We have a number of gun manufacturers that are based and build outside of North America. They sell in Canada and probably the U.S. They can sell a good quality firearm for 30-40% less than a NA made firearm. Should they have a 30-40% tariff put on their imports, or should it be a free market?
    Read the very first line of my post

And to answer your question-------- what is the trade deficit between the countries you are comparing firearms with? I like that---- Should they have a 30-40% tariff put on their imports, or should it be a free market -------LOL. Think about your statement and get back to us.

18. Member
    Actually the Harley deal of building plants in Thailand has been in the works and planned for several years, it has nothing to do with tariffs in this country only that they have for years been paying a stiff tariff to the overseas countries to sell their bikes in that market and by building the bikes there will not have to pay the tariff and be more competitive in that market and make better profits.

The Harley deal is a prime example of how an import tariff can benefit the job market within the country that imposes the tariff as Harley will build a plant in that country and those jobs will be now at a plant in Thailand for a product that will be sold in that country.

GM is a combination of a market that is not buying the product and eliminating those lines of production and in my opinion rather than reinvest in those plants that are Union shops that run up the production cost that GM also sees this as an opportunity to shut down the plants in those states that have strong laws supporting the unions highway robbery and building new modern facilities in states with right to work laws where they can pay an attractive wage for the area or location that is overall at a much lower rate than the union shops cost. Also they regain the power to terminate employees that do a halfassed job without needing the "union" to say it is okay.

Again the Lowes deal speaks for itself, under performing locations that for whatever reasons are not in the companies best interest to keep open. Maybe if more chains followed making smart business decisions such as this you would see fewer of them end up in bankruptcy court down the road.

People want to complain about the tariffs raising prices but yet want the companies to provide high paying manufacturing jobs in this country, well you cannot as a company provide the same selling prices on a product that you are producing overseas paying workers 6.00 dollars a day and produce it here in this country paying workers a 100.00 dollars without charging more and stay in business.

The price on the product is going to go up regardless of using cheap labor and paying the tariff or not paying the tariff and using more expensive domestic labor. The whole point is we are better off if we at least have the higher paying jobs that go along with the higher prices. For the tariff to work it has to be cheaper and more profitable for the company to not import the product but produce it here.

There is no free lunch, you prefer to employ people in other countries or employ people here? There will be a cost either way! The fewer jobs the more unemployment and the more on welfare, how cheap is that for the taxpayers?

19. Banned
    I can feel the love when you/ they use the term rust belt... ... Let's see...

New York's state slogan is "Excelsior"
    Pennsylvania is " Virtue, Liberty and Independence"
    West Virginia's is "Montani semper liberi" (Mountaineers are always free)
    Ohio's is "With God, all things are possible"
    Indiana's is "The Crossroads of America"
    Mishitigan's is "Si quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice" (If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you)
    Illinois' is "State Sovereignty, National Union"
    Wisconsin's is "Forward"

Hmmmmm... nowhere do the rust belts states mention "come and enjoy the color red"... ... It's a derogatory term, an insult... No matter what the national press or anyone else says... As far as the lazy, sub-standard worker part, the region is no better or worse than any other "region" of the country... Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by huskyjerk View Post
    Rust belt resident here: not offended. The gentleman from Canada is simply telling the truth. GM just shut down 2 plants within a 15 minute drive from my house. It's happening again.
    Dan; I'll go with this quote. ^^^^
    You're trying an apples and oranges comparison of State slogans vs. a regional economic reality; and it's not working.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Read the very first line of my post

And to answer your question-------- what is the trade deficit between the countries you are comparing firearms with? I like that---- Should they have a 30-40% tariff put on their imports, or should it be a free market -------LOL. Think about your statement and get back to us.
    How about you answer my simple question?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast