Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

250 proxs 4s losing power at wot

2b575473

took boat out yesterday after a few weeks and when I opened it up to wot it would bog down and lose power, haven’t called mercury yet will do so Monday, just wondering if anyone else experienced this and what might be the cause, no alarms sound or anything else it runs fine 1/2-3/4 throttle but when you give it wot it Boggs and loses power

2. Member
    Now it is worse, basically once it gets up around 4500 rpm it starts to bogg, basically feels like your hitting a mud flat with your boat, I think it’s a computer issue

3. Banned
    New boat, or repower?

Fuel filter? Water in fuel? Collapsed fuel line?

Have you confirmed through a dealer with their CDS laptop that your throttle is opening 100%?

4. Member
    Yes brand new 2019 Phoenix, got 40hrs on motor, had 20hr services done also had dealer check throttle, this is the first tine doing it since I had the boat, always pump non ethanol fuel, don’t think it’s a bad gas issue it only does it at wot, also seems like my rpm gauge which is a Merc monitor is jump rpm more then it should

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
    Mine only loses power on a top end run and usually the no start is after a wide open run.if I just cruised around at 70-75 all day I wouldn’t know I had a problem.(350 verado)max rpm is 64-6500,I don’t have a problem till6200 plus
    Mine starts about 5000 rpm if you full throttle and will bogg until I left off gas and back it down to about 4500, the motor just started doing this this weekend, dang shame brand new boat and new Merc 4s and I’m dealing with this, I got some bad luck sometimes

6. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam378 View Post
    2b575473

took boat out yesterday after a few weeks and when I opened it up to wot it would bog down and lose power, haven’t called mercury yet will do so Monday, just wondering if anyone else experienced this and what might be the cause, no alarms sound or anything else it runs fine 1/2-3/4 throttle but when you give it wot it Boggs and loses power
    Is the primer bulb installed in the fuel line?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Is the primer bulb installed in the fuel line?
    Not sure, brand new boat I’ll check it out

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidwademarine View Post
    Scottw - I would suggest finding a dealer with more Verado experience. Just throwing parts at it won’t solve anything without proper diagnostics.

Sam378 - Not sure where you’re at in Louisiana, but we’re in Baton Rouge if that’s not too far and can help you out in any way.
    im 45 minutes from Baton Rouge

9. Banned
    im 45 minutes from Baton Rouge
    Let us know if we can help out. Better hurry though. We will be closing late next week for the holidays and will be leaving early some days after woodcock season starts on the 18th.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
    That’s merc throwing parts at it,only thrown one code and it was the throttle sensor.third mechanic to look at it and he was the one to get merc to at least throw parts at it.but I’m open to suggestions if someone has a verado guru within a reasonable distance of Okc,ok
    We have a customer who brings his Verados all the way to us from Ardmore, OK and another from the Tulsa/Grand Lake area. They ran into the same problem up there, ‘techs’ just throwing parts at their issue without any resolution. Good luck and let us know if we can help out.

10. Member
    Update, so brought to my dealer where I’ve taken all my motor work forever, I cleared it with mercury also, he seams to think it’s restricted fuel supply but mercury made me go pick up the boat and take it somewhere else because my dealer wasn’t a platinum service dealer, which I think is total bs because I’ve been using this mechanic for years and trust him against some 20 yr old kid any day, but that’s where I stand right now, should know more tomorrow

11. Member
    Did you check to see if there is a primer bulb in your fuel line?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Did you check to see if there is a primer bulb in your fuel line?
    There is no primer bulb on the boat for the new fourstroke or Vera do’s from what I was told

13. mikesxpress
    Correct. There is not supposed to be a primer bulb in the fuel line. Did you check it? Trust no one...

14. Member
    Yes no primer bulb

Was thinking about this and I know there is fuel demand valve on the fuel tank of new fuel systems. Could be this valve is not allowing enough fuel in causing fuel starvation. A restriction of the fuel line could also do this. Just a thought

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Possible... but there should be an FDV (just not a primer valve). Applies to all current 75 or higher hp Mercury Fourstrokes.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TB21 View Post
    FDV? Should this be between the tank and engine? None installed on my 300R.
    Verify whether you have a pressurized system (commonly found in boats Jan 1, 2011 or later). If you do, there should be a FDV (Fuel Demand Valve).

If you need to discuss further, let's open a separate thread to avoid confusion.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    Update: mechanic water tested boat today and felt the bogg ay wot, definitely thinks it’s fuel related but not sure what, could be blockage or worse something in the fuel system not working right, hopefully this issue gets worked out soon

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hopefully something simple like a restricted filter (supply line, main filter, fuel rail filter).

20. Banned
    Update: mechanic water tested boat today and felt the bogg ay wot, definitely thinks it’s fuel related but not sure what, could be blockage or worse something in the fuel system not working right, hopefully this issue gets worked out soon
    Have they tried hooking up a portable fuel tank in order to isolate the issue to either the boat or the engine?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast