Thread: Re power help

Re power help

I’m restoring a 1986 GlassStream150 bass boat and I’m looking for advise on what to power it with. The boat is rated for a max 115 hp but I feel that my be to much power. I was thinking Eventude 90Ho but someone said a 60Ho would be sufficient.

2. Pat Goff
    "Too much power"???
    Not a term used in this house.
    Nobody has EVER regretted putting a rated motor on their boat.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. Member
    Just because you put a 115 on it, you don't have to use all of it.
    Best to put on what the boat is designed for.

Too much power? Nonsense, I'd put at least a 150 on it.

Yep, decals are cheap,
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    You guys all sound like Tim the tool man Tylor!!! Lol
    back in 1986 when the boat was designed, a 115 hp motor only weighed 320 lbs verse today’s 115 that are 390 lbs. does anyone see an issue with the added weight

Yep, it's gonna slow you down. The 150 only weighs a tad more.

Seriously tho', If the transom is solid, it should be fine. Are you gonna run a jack plate?

8. Pat Goff
    Whatever you decide to do, before you drop a sack of coin you need to inspect your transom.
    It’s plywood, and doesn’t need much water on it to make it mush.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    If you’re going through the expense of repowering I would max the boat out unless you find an unbeatable deal on a 90.

The only thing I wish the original owner of my boat would’ve done was put a 115 instead of a 90 on it.

I understand why he did it since in ‘06 the Etec 90 was a 3 cylinder and the Etec 115 was a 4 cylinder so there was a weight difference. Boat does just fine with the 90 but the thought is always there.

If your transom is in good shape, I’d max it out. No one has ever been mad they got too much hp!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

10. Member
    Thanks for the advice. I will investigate the transom and make sure it is solid. At first glance it seems solid but I haven’t probed deeper then I should have.

11. Member
    I just put on a new 90 Etec on my Xpress HD18 and added a 5.5” jp. This model does not have a pad hull so I am not trying to make a speed demon out of it. Rated for a 115. Had an older 2 stroke 90 Johnson prior and ran just fine with that HP. Standard 90 Etec does not require seperate oil tank like the HO does. 90 HO is about 70 lbs heavier than standard 90. I weighed these pros and cons too and decided the weight, seperate oil tank and extra cost didnt quite sell me on approx 9 extra HP. On my boat 9 HP would likely be not very noticeable. I think it really just boils down to what you plan to do with the boat...as in how you primarily use it and if it has a pad style hull so you can work more on setup and gain speed etc. If thats the case, a jackplate, right SST prop and a 115HO might be right!
    Last edited by RyanJ; 12-14-2018 at 08:30 PM.