Buying a new 4 bank, 15 amp chatter. Minn Kota or Dual Pro and why?

Minn Kota appears to be a very cost effective option but have always ran dual pros going back to the 90’s. What’s new in the world of on/off board chargers these days?

2. Member
    I just run a tin rig but I have always used Minn Kota branded chargers and been pleased with them. I do generally keep and use things long term so although I do run 4 batteries what I do is buy two 2 bank chargers instead of one 4 bank unit.

My purpose for doing it this way is if I have 1 bank of a charger fail that cannot reasonably be repaired then I only need to replace a two bank charger rather than the entire 4 bank unit saving me money down the road.

Have been doing it this way for years and it works well for me.

Just make sure whatever brand charger you choose is designed to work with the types of batteries you plan on running.

3. Member
    The MK is a quality charger, however, that particular model, the PC 460 (4 bank, 15 amp/bank) had some software issues about a year ago. They were documented here on BBC, and there were several posts. Not really sure if MK addressed them at all. I would stick with the DP for that reason. Besides which, if the DP goes south, it can often be repaired, where all others are not repairable.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    If you can afford the DualPro I would go that route as their warranty service is really outstanding. I do like the idea of having two 2 bank chargers for the reasons stated by v-fourmax

I have a Noco, who has many sales this time of year, and I am completely satisfied with their product.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

5. Member
    I had the minn Kota and would buy a dual pro.

I have had a MK440PC and it is a good charger. I currently have a Dual Pro. I like that the Dual Pro can have individual banks serviced if needed. Get which ever is the better deal...

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I had a Dual Pro in my last Ranger. It never needed service in the 14 years I had the boat. Friends who did need to have their Dual Pro serviced raved about the high quality of customer service.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Member
    My dual pro 4 bank is plugged in 24-7, 10 yrs old, just plain works