Scraps

Easier way to winterize water pressure gauge?

I'm just wondering. Rather than take the dash apart which is easy, but time consuming, is there another way. I'm just taking the dash apart, removing the gauge, disconnecting, and using a shop-vac to suck anything out of the tube and gauge. I know I could have disconnected at the motor while winterizing and maybe that is the better way.

I did have a little debris in the line and in the fitting on the gauge.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

2. Member
    Smartcraft guages

3. Banned
    It's odd; I've never made an attempt to drain the line, my garage will be below freezing for probably 3 months, and I've never had an issue with it tweaking the water pressure gauge.
    Probably jinxed myself now.........

4. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    It's odd; I've never made an attempt to drain the line, my garage will be below freezing for probably 3 months, and I've never had an issue with it tweaking the water pressure gauge.
    Probably jinxed myself now.........
    I meant to say that, in 18yrs of owning a Ranger and never draining the line I lost one gauge.
    2017 Phoenix 819

5. Banned
    It's such a bother to get to the back of the gauge on my boat, that I would consider cutting the line in a more convenient place, and putting a union in.

6. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    It's such a bother to get to the back of the gauge on my boat, that I would consider cutting the line in a more convenient place, and putting a union in.
    Was wondering if a tee could be put in the line with a little drain valve.
    2017 Phoenix 819

7. Banned
    We use push-together quick connects at work for plastic Rilsan tubing. I'll have to see if it's a common size with the water pressure tubing. Put a tee in, and a plug in the third hole. Put it in when you winterize, just don't forget to put it back in or you'll get a wet foot, lol.

8. idbefishing
    could you inject anti-freeze in the line?

I don't have a Phoenix but the principle behind the water pressure gauge is the same. My boat sits in a uninsulated garage. For several years I done nothing to my water pressure gauge then two winters in a row it froze. After the second time I made a drain. It will work for a Phoenix but the only obstacle I see is how the console is made. If my memory is correct Phoenix has an enclose console. If that is the case then a person will have to figure out a way to route the drain line or simply drill a hole in the bottom of the enclosed part...

About 2-3" behind the gauge I cut the line and installed a T. On the bottom of the T I added about 18" of drain line. In my case I routed the line straight down and it's about 8" off my floor. It's kind of in the front corner where your left foot would be when sitting down. It's totally out of the way and does not cause any obstruction. In the bottom of the drain I have a plug. All the fittings I used were air line quick connect push/pull fittings. In cold weather when I am done for the day and I am getting the boat ready to go back home I remove the plug and about 1 tablespoon of water comes out onto my floorboard. It's no big deal to have that small of a wet spot. When I get home I put the plug back in my drain line. The reason I leave it out on the way home is so the vibration of road travel will help drain water. I don't know if this is necessary but its what I do.

Just the other day on another board someone was asking how to make a drain and I explained it to them. I still have some extra fittings so I offered to mail them what they needed. All they had to do was buy about 18" of 1/4 hose to make the drain. I still have a few fittings left. If someone on here wants one I can send them one as a Christmas present...The first two people who reply to this thread requesting one will get one on my dime.

10. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Phoenix doesn't use a mechanical water pressure gauge, its electric, the water pressure tube goes to a sending unit in the bottom of the console, you could easily route a drain line off of that and route out the bottom of the console or you could just insulate the sending unit, the sending unit is less likely to be damaged by freezing as gauge,
    I run a mechanical gauge and it doesn't freeze here in NC but what little bit of water it holds runs back down the line anyway after turning over the engine and blowing the water out of the impeller
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    Phoenix doesn't use a mechanical water pressure gauge, its electric, the water pressure tube goes to a sending unit in the bottom of the console, you could easily route a drain line off of that and route out the bottom of the console or you could just insulate the sending unit, the sending unit is less likely to be damaged by freezing as gauge,
    I run a mechanical gauge and it doesn't freeze here in NC but what little bit of water it holds runs back down the line anyway after turning over the engine and blowing the water out of the impeller
    So based on what you say then I guess what I mention won't work. What I was talking about in reply #9 was for a mechanical gauge.

12. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    So based on what you say then I guess what I mention won't work. What I was talking about in reply #9 was for a mechanical gauge.
    It would still work,still a water line it just doesn't connect to the gauge
    It stops at the sending unit
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

13. idbefishing
    My garage gets pretty cold but no issue. The only thing that could happen is the water in the line froze/expanded and bust the hose.

14. Scraps
    It would still work,still a water line it just doesn't connect to the gauge
    It stops at the sending unit
    Could very well put a tee behind the sending unit, and run the drain back to the bilge, somewhere that tit's easily accessible. Heck, just putting that tail piece on the the may be enough even if the residual water did freeze it might not burst the pipe or do any damage even if the drain was left open.

The idea is to eliminate having to take the console apart.
    2017 Phoenix 819

15. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Could very well put a tee behind the sending unit, and run the drain back to the bilge, somewhere that tit's easily accessible. Heck, just putting that tail piece on the the may be enough even if the residual water did freeze it might not burst the pipe or do any damage even if the drain was left open.

The idea is to eliminate having to take the console apart.
    yep that will work, you can also add a tee to the line in the battery compartment, easy access, the line is already there and down hill from the console
    info@drewcraft.com

16. Scraps
    yep that will work, you can also add a tee to the line in the battery compartment, easy access, the line is already there and down hill from the console
    This would be better cuzz you'd be tapping into a low point.
    2017 Phoenix 819

17. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    connect this to the Tee line after installed and suck it out
    https://www.amazon.com/Katzco-Liquid...pump+for+water
    info@drewcraft.com

18. Member
    Mine just broke figured it was a good time to get a merc monitor

19. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    connect this to the Tee line after installed and suck it out
    https://www.amazon.com/Katzco-Liquid...pump+for+water
    My buddy has one of those, He calls it a Kentucky credit card (He's from KY)

20. Member
    Water pressure gauge froze on my bumblebee. Finally found a replacement and before install , I talked to Chris Malone at Malone Marine and he said to run windshield antifreeze in line before hooking it back up. Worked great, never froze again.
    Purchased 2014 920 XP in June. Did same thing on it with speedometer. Guys this is only way to not have to worry about it.