Side or center rod locker

I have a 1997 Grumman 1752B. Decks are gettting bad so first of the year it's getting stripped and new decks and carpet. I'll be moving some storage and eliminating some compartments. My biggest debate is whether or not to more from the side locker, which I can barely squeeze a 6'9" rod, or to make it a center rod locker. I'm extending the front deck so if I went with a center locker I'd be able to put 7'4" in it. Has anyone here done this? Made it a center rod locker? I can't really find any information any where for this. Any help or tips and opinions are welcome!

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Sounds like a good idea to me, shouldn't be all that difficult to make either.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

3. Member
    Center , for the longer rods to be stored. I looked up a photo, your mods will really add a lot to the fishability !

I built a deck in a walleye boat, I made it center rod locker and like it. But nowadays I'm all in the side locker plan so I can keep more heavy stuff centered. But given your size constraints I'd go center.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Also rods can go all the way to the bow eye/ trolling motor bolts/screws. So use all your space and have a rod cover on them all
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Also rods can go all the way to the bow eye/ trolling motor bolts/screws. So use all your space and have a rod cover on them all
    I plan on using a recessed trolling motor tray also. I'm hoping the rods will slide under it. Im going to remove the side locker for more leg room.

7. Member
    Love the center rod locker.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    Same here....I keep extra rods laying on the deck..... on each side of the deck when fishing. My most common baits are in Plano boxes in the side slots of the center box. If I need to grab another rod real quick or want to switch colors or baits, I can do it without moving the other rods which are laying out on the deck. It works for me.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I would say to build the center rod locker. Mine is on the side and when I have my poles on the deck, when I go into my side rod locker it moves all my rods against the gunnel and tangles them all up.

I use the side rod locker as storage mostly so I open it often and I make sure I’m careful since the tips all bunch up.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by Large5513 View Post
    I have a 1997 Grumman 1752B. Decks are gettting bad so first of the year it's getting stripped and new decks and carpet. I'll be moving some storage and eliminating some compartments. My biggest debate is whether or not to more from the side locker, which I can barely squeeze a 6'9" rod, or to make it a center rod locker. I'm extending the front deck so if I went with a center locker I'd be able to put 7'4" in it. Has anyone here done this? Made it a center rod locker? I can't really find any information any where for this. Any help or tips and opinions are welcome!
    If you haven't already, check out TBNation (Tiny Boat Nation) on the web and YouTube for ideas - using aluminum angle and sq. tubing to create light, strong deck framing, and storage lockers from plastic totes.
    As stated already, I'd go center locker to maximize available space to the very tip of the bow. I've used large dia. irrigation pipe, and rectangular PVC downspout as rod tubes with good success. Large diameter allows spinning rod eyes to fit easily.

11. Banned
    I owned a 1997 1752B for 10 yrs. I used it as my "limited hp lake" boat. It had a 20hp. Nice boats!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    I owned a 1997 1752B for 10 yrs. I used it as my "limited hp lake" boat. It had a 20hp. Nice boats!
    I love the boat. Bought it with a 9.9. Does a blistering 9mph. Lol. I put a 50hp on it. Runs about 28 or so. Love the boat. Just time for some TLC

13. Banned
    I love the boat. Bought it with a 9.9. Does a blistering 9mph. Lol. I put a 50hp on it. Runs about 28 or so. Love the boat. Just time for some TLC
    Mine was a 1998, the very last year Grumman made a boat.
    I first had a Johnson 9.9 on mine, and put a 15hp carb on it, and BOY did it make a difference. I got 22 gps with me alone, but it would only do 17 gps with a passenger. The carb made the difference from “dragging” through the water, to getting up on plane and moving “on top” of the water!
    Here's a picture of mine, with the Johnson 9.9 on it.
    i took the bench seat out, and put seaperate seats in, and built a center storage box for it.
    IMG_20181212_29744.jpg
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 12-12-2018 at 05:42 PM.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    Mine was a 1998, the very last year Grumman made a boat.
    I first had a Johnson 9.9 on mine, and put a 15hp carb on it, and BOY did it make a difference. I got 22 gps with me alone, but it would only do 17 gps with a passenger. The carb made the difference from “dragging” through the water, to getting up on plane and moving “on top” of the water!
    Here's a picture of mine, with the Johnson 9.9 on it.
    i took the bench seat out, and put seaperate seats in, and built a center storage box for it.
    IMG_20181212_29744.jpg
    Mine has the 15hp carb. Been to a shop to be looked at. Slow as hell lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    If you haven't already, check out TBNation (Tiny Boat Nation) on the web and YouTube for ideas - using aluminum angle and sq. tubing to create light, strong deck framing, and storage lockers from plastic totes.
    As stated already, I'd go center locker to maximize available space to the very tip of the bow. I've used large dia. irrigation pipe, and rectangular PVC downspout as rod tubes with good success. Large diameter allows spinning rod eyes to fit easily.
    I've been al over YouTube but have never seen TBnation. Thanks!

16. Banned

17. Banned
    My Johnson 9.9 was a 2000 model. It made a HUUUUUUUUGE difference! increased rpms by around 700, and speed around 10 mph!

I know that on Mercury 9.9's, the 15 carb does NOTHING!!! tried it on an Xpress I had.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    I've owned each type and I definitely prefer the center rod locker as well.