Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..

First Time Sam's Brisket Cooker Oven...

I am heading to Sams This week. I have a friend, wife and son(12 age) staying for weekend. I have plenty of food but thought I would buy a Brisket from Sams seeing there will be 5 eaters in the house this weekend. My friends have plans Saturday with my wife so I am sure they will eat out a few times, Chi Pizza, old neighborhood etc. If I buy a choice or prime Brisket about 10-12lbs. Can I freeze a 4lb chunk for later ? Can I make 3lb of hamburger with my hand crank grinder ? Can I cook a 6lb half in Oven and it will come out good ? I have weber gas grill 3 burner but temp gauge is broke(can buy another one). What would you do with Big Brisket and 2 of us in house and 1 meal with 3 extra guests(maybe give them 2lb to take home). I have always been a watcher at fishing trips and backyard BBQ's. Need good basic help. Do I mix ground brisket with pork or ground beef to make burgers ? temperature and how long for 5-6lber ? I have good meat thermometer and basic cooking skills. ideas

2. Member
    I have used trimmings from a brisket and sirloin to make burgers with. But if going to the trouble to fix a brisket I say fix the whole thing and then freeze whats left. But I also don't how how it would turn out on gas grill or in the oven.

Cook the whole thing. Eat what you can, freeze the rest. I've used it for tacos, chili, tamales, or just plain sliced. Plan 1.5 hours per pound and aim to have it done 2 hours prior to eating. It normally is. Then foil, towel, and into the cooler.

If you want smokey flavor, start it on the grill, indirect heat, with wood chips in foil. Keep it there for a couple hours and then foil it and transfer to an oven if you want. I'd just keep it on the grill, but it's an option.

4. Member
    If you have a vac sealer its by far the best way to freeze cooked meat. Break into meal sized portions and seal. Then when you want to reheat drop in hot water.

5. Banned
    Go on to AmazingRibs.com and see what Meathead has to say about cooking brisket. He is the expert on outdoor cooking.

I would think it would be excessively expensive to make it into burgers. A cheap chuck roast would be better to grind.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    Cook the whole thing. Eat what you can, freeze the rest.
    What does everyone think about freezing the leftovers sliced or unsliced?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    What does everyone think about freezing the leftovers sliced or unsliced?
    Sliced and vac sealed. Just don't slice what you plan on freezing until its completely cool.