Prop suggestions for 96' Johnson 200 venom

I'm hoping I can get some suggestions for a new prop for my 97' Johnson 200 venom. When I bought the boat it had an old OMC shooter prop that had been "altered" shaved,trimmed and the motor sounded great in the 5500-5800 rpm range but could only get 50 mph out of it so I bought a Solas 14x25p and it has an awesome hole shot, gets right up out of the water and moves but tops out less than 5o mph and rpm's it can only hit about 4500-4800 tops. I put the old prop back on, was afraid the solas would tear up my motor.The recommended rpm range for my motor is 5000-6000 and it sounds really happy around 5600-5800 with the old shooter prop. Any suggestions for a prop that can get me over 60 mph without tearing up my motor? Any suggestions as to what is going on?
    Thanks!

2. Member
    25 renegade or a 24 original raker.

the original raker was the fastest on my old motor.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

3. Member
    would that be a 3 blade or 4 blade? If I cannot find an origional raker what is my best bet?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafisher View Post
    would that be a 3 blade or 4 blade? If I cannot find an origional raker what is my best bet?
    Mark Croxtons Razor3 is about as close to a Raker as you can get. Has a better hub system, Venting options, Thicker/more durable blades, Warranty, Pitch exchange or tweaking if necessary and cheaper than a new Raker.

His info is in my signature below my posts.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    25 renegade or a 24 original raker.

the original raker was the fastest on my old motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafisher View Post
    would that be a 3 blade or 4 blade? If I cannot find an original raker what is my best bet?
    The original Raker is a three blade that only comes in even # pitch. You can buy a 3 blade Raker II in odd and even # pitch. The Renegade Bass is a 4 blade that comes in odd number pitch. In most cases you go down 1 number when going from a three blade to a 4 blade however when it comes to the Renegade Bass 4 blade it is an exception. The Renegade Bass 4 blade is a lot small diameter that common four blades such as Trophy, Bravo1 or Razor4. The smaller diameter of the Renegade requires you to turn a higher pitch than most other 4 blade. "Typically" a four blade 25 Renegade Bass is similiar to a three blade 24 Raker in rpm.

Raker has a pressed in rubber hub
    Raker II has a TBX hub
    Renegade Bass old style has pressed in rubber hub
    Renegade Bass new style has TBX hub

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Mark Croxtons Razor3 is about as close to a Raker as you can get. Has a better hub system, Venting options, Thicker/more durable blades, Warranty, Pitch exchange or tweaking if necessary and cheaper than a new Raker.

His info is in my signature below my posts.
    Mike is correct that Mark's Razor 3 line of props is very close to an an original Raker in blade design. Plus the Razor 3 is made of a little harder grade of stainless steel. This along with the extra thickness makes it have less flex and the result is a little more stiff to turn. A 24 Raker is close to a 23 Razor in rpm.

To best answer the OP's question what hull do you have that 200 Venom on?
    Last edited by JR19; 12-10-2018 at 05:58 PM.

6. Member
    PM sent