Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need your comments

Guys I looking at a boat with 2018 250 suz ss 4 stroke. I don’t know anyone who has had one of these Can u guys give me your take on these motors

2. Member
    I have one

3. Member
    That was an inside joke for those who read this Suzuki forum page a lot. You will have some intelligent and objective 250ss owners chime in here. I personally have had a rough start with mine but still know that they're primarily known to be a fantastic outboard. Doesn't matter what the name says on the cowling none of them are totally bulletproof. Most will say Suzuki is as close as you can get though. You might want to specify what you want to know.

4. Member
    Outside of Kev's who had the one lemon (mostly because he purchased it from a pro ), these motors are pretty much dependable. The only downsize of these motors is that there is not much dealer/service support out there and getting the motor propped correctly to maximize performance. Speaking of performance, they won't run as fast a similar boat equipped with a Yamaha or Mercury and the fuel economy might be slightly better, but I really don't pay attention. In terms of maintenance, it's minimal and everything is easy to access everything under the cowling. If you have any specific questions, let us know. Even though this section of the forum seems dead, there are a few of us who run a 250SS and we are rarely complaining about motor issues as compared to the other forums on here. The biggest complaint is mostly about what prop size to run.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

5. Banned
    After the way they treated bascatkev...I would not buy one ever....

6. Banned
    I have to agree. Customer service is not the best.

7. Member
    Go to the Mercury, Yamaha or Evinrude forums and see what their major issues and resolutions to them are.
    There is not at this time a large segment of bass boat owners that have selected Suzuki, but the salt water guys are all over them.
    There aren't a lot of repetitive issues with them on this forum because I think they're pretty reliable.
    I've changed my own propeller seals, the propeller driveshaft seal and plugs, oil, anodes and filters myself on my 2006 175 DF which I bought with 120 hours on it and it now has over 400.
    I run $50.00 props because I found a hell of a deal and they work for me.
    I'm cheap. I like mine.

8. Member
    cp3434 I still think overall they are a reliable engine. It's highly unlikely you would have the issues I did. I reported the good and the bad during that thread. It wasn't my intent to bash the brand. Yes I did in some ways bash the customer service because it deserved it and I make no apologies for it. At this moment I have to say my engine is fixed. If all kinds of issues start up when the weather warms I will certainly post it. Only time will tell.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Go to the Mercury, Yamaha or Evinrude forums and see what their major issues and resolutions to them are.
    There is not at this time a large segment of bass boat owners that have selected Suzuki, but the salt water guys are all over them.
    There aren't a lot of repetitive issues with them on this forum because I think they're pretty reliable.
    I've changed my own propeller seals, the propeller driveshaft seal and plugs, oil, anodes and filters myself on my 2006 175 DF which I bought with 120 hours on it and it now has over 400.
    I run $50.00 props because I found a hell of a deal and they work for me.
    I'm cheap. I like mine.
    Have you adjusted the lifters yet. If so did you buy the tool or make one.?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    Have you adjusted the lifters yet. If so did you buy the tool or make one.?
    I used to adjust a lot of lifters in my past life. I think these are cup and shim. I haven't adjusted them, the real hazard with not adjusting them is they may wear into the seats and lose their clearance and burn a seat or a valve or worst case scenario, break a valve stem. New gas has no lead to lubricate the seats so that's possible but the seats should be a hard material like Stellite. It would do me no good to try to adjust the valves because I don't have any shims to add or subtract to get optimum clearance. Maybe if I find a blown Suzuki I can scavenge the shims.

I had a write up about the valves but after research I found they are different than what I thought.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

12. Banned
    You can buy the shims separate or they have a kit.

13. Member
    I can't speak for the 250, but I have a 2017 175 with about 75 hours and have had zero issues. Starts easy and runs hard. Very impressed so far.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    I had a write up about the valves but after research I found they are different than what I thought.
    Share with us we're all interested. As far as buying shims, if I tear the motor down far enough to adjust the valves I'd hate to button it back up to wait for parts and miss fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Share with us we're all interested. As far as buying shims, if I tear the motor down far enough to adjust the valves I'd hate to button it back up to wait for parts and miss fishing.

My write up was based off of a “shim under bucket“ design but it appears, on the 250 anyway, that they put the shim on top of the bucket. I’d be curious to see how that looks in person as then the shim is what rotates to keep the cam and bucket from wearing.
    All the ones I have done were on Motorcycle and ATV and they place the shim under the bucket which requires the removal of the camshaft. I assume they placed the shim on top and use a special tool so you can compress the valve and remove the shim. If that’s the case then that’s a great idea and saves the tech a ton of time and doesn’t have to keep reinstalling the cam to check clearance after a shim change.
    I’ll repost the link I have that tells you what size replacement shim would be needed so there is no need for guessing. The link is for dirt bike and ATV style valve train but the principal is the same. http://www.maultechatv.com/techguide...ator/index.php

If there is a tool I’d be curious to see how it works what the process is of checking and replacing a shim by the book.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

So I did a little research and found the tool that they use to replace the shims. I really like this idea and saves a TON of time when doing valves. I think the only problem with checking valves would be just getting to them. Here is link to the tool and how its used.

https://www.crowleymarine.com/suppor...ment-tool.html
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

17. Member
    There's a lot of personnel danger warnings associated with using this tool and replacing shims. I wonder if they will let the public buy one. Anybody ever get a quote on valve adjustment service or how many book hours it takes?

To be honest this is a vey simple procedure and as far as warnings and dangers they have those with everything we do today to include breathing. The hardest thing would be finding the proper size screwdriver to keep the valve open while swapping shims.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

19. Banned
    That tool is much cheaper than the older ones. I looked online for a pic an couldnt find one. If you have a service manual it has a pic in there. The old ones are around $225. The shims are $8.00 each. If the clearance is too tight on one cylinder that shim might work in another
    Last edited by rocket man; 12-13-2018 at 03:49 PM.

20. Banned
    This is the original suzuki tool. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-0991...xQK3:rk:9:pf:0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast